“Assault on the Senses”

Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Booked on-the-go during a trip from Boston to New Jersey when crossing the LI Sound as the location was "on the way". This was our first visit to an Indigo facility, and were met with a sickly "vanilla smell" in the lobby which stayed around the whole night...couldn't wait to get out of there!! Then, asked for a "quiet room" and were put "near the back, where not many people were staying this night" and found after dinner that a refrigerator truck was parked just outside in the parking lot with its unit running all night (couldn't turn it off as it was on a 10-hour timer was the excuse given to us), and they couldn't move it, so had to sleep with earplugs all night...not fun!

The staff need to be able to control this, as they didn't even know the truck was parked there till we asked them to move or turn it off. Not very helpful, although they did speak with the driver who wouldn't help.

Seems the staff need more training on customer service resolution issues, as they are young and inexperienced when in a hotel which should be "above the "Express" experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Leaddog83
rsalvatico, Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Leaddog83,

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Hotel Indigo. It is only through valuable feedback like your's that we are able to address our shortcomings.

We have addressed the issue regarding our truck drivers, they will no longer be able to park their trucks outside of our guest rooms. We have allocated parking in the back of the hotel that is away from our rooms for any large trucks.

In regards to the vanilla scent in the lobby, we do have scent machines which are meant to enhance the experience for our guests, and we apologize for any offense it may have caused for your senses. We may have just replaced the scent which is why it could have been a little stronger than usual.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with a "great" lasting memory.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This place is fabulous!! But I miss the taffy at the front desk!! Please please bring it back!!! The Mary Janes just don't do it! The staff is wonderful and very attentive, especially the front desk! Whatever I needed, they got for me and my partner!! Food is out of this world! Thank you to the Master Chef who stopped by our table to say hello!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
rsalvatico, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Carol S,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! I will make sure we have some Taffy for your next trip to the hotel!

Thank you again & all the best!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was the best Indigo I have stayed at. Everything from the rooms, the onsite hotel and back patio is well....amazing. The front staff do their best to accommodate you as well and this hotel is a great launching point for touring the North Fork wine country of factory outlet stores nearby. They'll even set you up for tours too. I'll be back.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Kidlove,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We hope to see you again very soon!

Thank you again & all the best!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here during the July 4th holiday this year. The property is new and our rooms were spacious and spotless. The location is convenient for train travel from NYC and it's a short and pleasant drive up to Greenport and the gorgeous surrounding area. The pool area was a big plus- the pool was clean, the lounging spaces were comfortable and there is even a fire on cool nights. We ate dinner in the bar and the food was decent if unexceptional. I chose this hotel to earn Priority Club points and would do so again on a return to the North Fork.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Catherine517,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding your stay! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

THE MOST RIDICULOUS HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER. ILLEGAL PRACTICE, and greedy dishonest management.

I don't think readers will even believe what my husband and I experienced, because it's ridiculous. We arrived at midnight on Saturday only to hear that pipes of the room we reserved bursted in the middle of summer (which turned out to be a total lie, and I explain this below), and we would need to move to Holiday Inn Express. It was close to midnight, we were super tired, and we didn't have a car. (Not to mention how precious that weekend was for my husband and myself.) Hotel Indigo East End totally ruined our weekend and totally ruined its own image. The story gets better and better...

(1) One of the managers did call us around 3pm, but it got disconnected since we were on subway in Manhattan. How come no one could tell us before we arrived close to midnight? We asked to talk to a manager. Both managers didn't answer their calls (of course, why would they? They are the ones who directed the receptionists to lie that pipe had bursted in the middle of summer.)

(2) Receptionists were telling us that Holiday Inn Express is a very nice hotel and they reserved a suite for us. Are you kidding me? Do you want me to believe that Hotel Indigo and Holiday Inn Express are the same? AND THERE IS NO SUITE IN HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS !!! I don't know what occurred to them to lie like this. Is it because we are relatively young looking Asians, who wouldn't know about hotels?

(3) Well, we ended up moving to Holiday Inn Express (to a simple double queen bed room, which is absolutely not a suite from anyone's perspective) and found out that BOTH HOTELS ARE OWNED BY THE SAME MANAGEMENT! They could still make money by relocating us. And they simply said "the rate will be different." Only after noticing what they have done (which occurred after my husband's lawyer logic), they made our room complimentary.

(4) the day after, one of the managers admitted that THERE WAS NO PIPE BURST, and THEY WERE ACTUALLY OVERBOOKED. So why couldn't they admit that from the first place? Why couldn't they call us, honestly explained the situation and offered a complimentary room at a different hotel from the first place? Why did they lie like that and still try to make money off of us by sending us to a hotel with the same management?

SO BE CAREFUL. If you book your room expecting you will get a room at Hotel Indigo, you might end up sleeping in Holiday Inn Express. JUST DON'T BOOK this hotel. And I collected enough intelligence to conclude that we are not the only people who might have experienced this.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank HJ C
rsalvatico, Owner at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear HJ C,

I have read your review, and would like to apologize for not responding sooner, but I did want to make sure I had my facts straight regarding your regrettable experience.

First let me say that we are a family owned and operated business, and on behalf of our entire family I want to offer sincere apologies for what turned out to be a tough experience.

We understand all that you are saying and can appreciate your frustration, but take exception to your assertion of our intent to engage in "illegal, dishonest and greedy” behavior. Our team made a number of mistakes, and our General Manager called you within 48 hours of your experience to acknowledge the same, and to make amends for what happened. We thought she had succeeded in doing so, but apparently not.

I sincerely regret that we cannot take back what happened, but would like to set the record straight on a few things:

Our representatives erred greatly by not calling you back in a more timely fashion, and more so in not providing a more accurate explanation of what our situation was. They did however, take the correct legal action and arrange for the most comparable accommodation in the closest location. That accommodation is in fact by industry standards a Suite, and I also regret your disappointment and our misunderstanding in that regard.

Our representatives made no statements or assumptions on your knowledge of Hotels, especially not with regard to your ethnicity. As a first generation family business, we pride ourselves on our acceptance of all guests without any prior consideration. Our record over 13 years in the business will prove that. To suggest otherwise is a form of reverse discrimination that as a matter of reputation I must take also issue with.

This all considered, I apologize again for your difficult experience, and hope you will not hold it against the other great Hotels and businesses on Long Island’s East End.

Respectfully,

Rob Salvatico
Partner, Senior Vice President - Operations

Reviewed October 6, 2013

After seeking on face book a friends birthday weekend I knew that this is exactly what I wanted to do for my 45th. We had the perfect weather to go exploring wine country. Thank you to Michael High for coordinating everything. Cindy was awesome at the bar and then at dinner. Rooms were clean, hotel clean, friendly people everywhere and outside sitting area so inviting. One small glitch was brought to Michaels attention and he did right by us and I am ok with that. Would go again for sure and would recommend Hotel Indigo

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Gravos,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay! We are sorry to hear that you experienced a problem, but I am very happy to see that I was able to resolve everything :)

We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

A short notice change of plan meant we checked into this hotel. The reception staff we excellent and the rooms we very good. The only thing that lets this place down in the bar and restaurant... Don't let the look fool you, this bar is awful with some of the worst service I've ever encounted in the US. When I complained to the manager after 2 nights of dreadful service I would have expected some kind of voucher to get us back in there but no! Great hotel but go into town for a drink!

• Stayed: September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Andyshaw76,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you liked the room accommodations you had. Please allow us to apologize you were not satisfied with our bar and restaurant. We also apologize for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Residence Inn Long Island East End
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor

Been to Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End? Share your experiences!