“Okay..not great”

Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Not much to say....The hotel was average. Family trip to Riverhead to visit Tanger outlets.

Room: when we first walked in we were hit with a pungent smell that we eventually became used to. The room was small considering that we had two full size beds however on the plus side the bathroom was clean and well designed. We were especially fond of the shower head and strong water pressure. The room came with a 32 inch flat screen with HD picture quality and an array of video on demand. We took advantage of some of the video packages for our daughter. The room came with an ice tray with an ice machine down the hall however it is always a plus if the room comes equipped with a mini fridge. We stopped at Walmart to buy some goodies before checking in at the hotel however we couldn't keep anything chilled. On the plus side, the room came with Free WiFi.

Room Service: although the hotel has its own restaurant the room service menu was limited. We ordered the burger and chicken plate however we had to ask for children meal options. The food was pretty good but would've preferred more variety.

Parking: adequate parking

Pool: seasonal. Would've been great to have an indoor and outdoor pool.

Overall, it was an okay stay not an exceptional one. We would probably not stay there again. The biggest convenience was the the hotel was about 5 minutes from the outlet and the staff was pretty friendly.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank latin0f1ava
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear latin0f1ava,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your experience. I am happy to know you like our hotel location and friendly staff. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced especially with the unusual smell and food selections served. We truly value your feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Zelyn N

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in April 2013. I will not stay here again unless it's the only hotel with availability. I would suggest the other hotel across from the Tanger Outlers, which is in a better location and their service is definitely superior.

The first issue was with the address and GPS units not being able to find this place. I tried 2 different units and both took me far east of the hotel. At check in, I mentioned this to the front desk person and she said it was a common problem. She was apologetic and I let her know it isn't her fault. It would have been nice if the hotel had placed special address instructions on their website.

The second issue is when I ordered pizza delivery. I was in the middle of work when the front desk called me to come down and get the food. I guess the hotel doesn't allow food to be delivered to the rooms. Kind of crazy isn't it? I tried to let the front desk woman know that I was in the middle of work, but she didn't care and was very rude about it. I stay at a lot of hotels and this is the first not to allow delivery service to rooms.

The third issue was at checkout. The front desk staff person wasn't able to print my statement because I guess the computer system is always busy between 5 and 6 am. He had to email it to me later that day.

One positive is the fitness center which is very well equipped and the restaurant, which is amazing.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Iowa_Brett
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Iowa_Brett,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very pleased that you liked our restaurant and fitness center. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior. I apologize for the unsatisfactory customer service at the front desk. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Lera P

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is at the beginning of the "trail" of 30+ wineries (and vodka and whiskey distillers as well as micro-breweries!) and farms on the North Fork of Long Island and 20 minutes from Westhampton/Hampton Bays on the South Fork. It is 3 minutes from one of the nicest outlet malls in the region.

If you ask directions at the desk, you can see the largest buffalo heard (600 +-) in the east.

For those into "tastings" they can arrange for cars, vans, or guided wine tours!

The new owners have put a major effort into their property and it "feels good" to be there. The style is "new age modern," clean, crisp and refreshing after a drive.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable, hallways well lit, amenities great quality.

The staff actually cares about you and is friendly and accommodating.

There is a restaurant/bar that is fun in the evening and most nights there is live music.
The restaurant is called Bistro 72 - the hotel is at Exit 72 of the Long Island Expressway -
and it serves locally grown food and baked goods, all farm fresh.

I have stayed there several times on business and never encountered a problem.

About a year ago they opened their doors to Air National Guardsmen and their families who were being deployed to Afghanistan. I watched family support, legal support and finance officers do their thing in their conference rooms, being fed and cared for by the hotel staff - and some guests! It made a nice place even nicer!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob R
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The rooms and bathrooms were beautifully decorated (the bath products were high quality though medicinal scented) and the bedding was particularly plush! The hotel itself is clean and attractive. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Pros: decor, comfortable rooms, directly next door to the outlets, a short drive from wineries, they offer their own winery tours (for a fee)

Cons: Though nice, everyone in this place is as S-L-O-W as humanly possible. Combined, there are a few hours of wait time I'll never get back. The others only apply to guests with dogs. I was surprised to see this hotel was pet friendly but many in the area are. At check in there was a 50.00 fee for the dog, and the warning that you can't leave the dog in the room. That was pretty ridiculous. Now, you've got little choice but to agree to those conditions because, here you are 2 hours from home with a dog. But neither were clear to me before I got there. If you do bring a dog, many of the wineries are dog friendly, and Martha Clara is a nice winery that has food and allows dogs. The food is cafeteria-esque but actually good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrincessFang
mmulrenan, Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your review of our property, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will see you again in the future.

I apologize that there was a miscommunication regarding our pet policy; the policy is “your pet must be crated or housekeeping will not enter the room.” Dogs and cats do not need to be crated when you are not around unless you would like housekeeping services during your stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me under separate cover for any reason.

Again, thank you and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a great Valentines Day at Hotel Indigo! The hotel arranged a trip to the vineyards and the staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. The room was modern and extremely clean. The food at the restaurant in the hotel was excellent. They also had live music which added to a great night. If you’re heading out east I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen C

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the time you spent with us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel used to be a mediocre at best Ramada Inn. A few years ago, IHG bought it and turned it into a Hotel Indigo which was designed to be a hip/modern hotel designed to compete with Sheraton's W Hotels line. Other than making the lobby beautiful, adding an outdoor sitting area with retro furniture and putting some photo murals and fancy glass bathroom doors in the rooms, its pretty much the same as it used to be with a cooler vibe.

The footprint of the rooms has not changed ... they are still smaller than your average hotel room and square. There is newly placed West Elm style furniture (think modernistic but classy) and they put giant photo murals on one wall and a Moroccan style wall stencil on the other. The beds are very comfortable ... but many of the rooms have two small beds. It is pretty hard to get a king size bed here! And the rooms with two beds don't seem like two double beds to me ... they seem like two twin beds size-wise.

The shower is nice an the bath products are decent ... but it is one of those modern style showers with half a glass door, so part of the door to the shower is open, which means the bathroom floor will get soaked when you take a shower. The flourescent light mirror in the bathroom also is pretty jarring in the morning.

The lobby and common areas are pretty nice with cushioned furniture and a fireplace you can sit by outside. Unfortunately, the bar/restaurant in the hotel is also marketed to those people who live in town, which brings a crowd into the hotel that sometimes I would rather not be around. (Think loudmouth townies with a Jersey Shore meets Gangstah element)

While this hotel markets itself as being close to the Hamptons ... to get to the Hamptons from Riverhead is a good hour long trip, especially if there is traffic. Don't be deceived into thinking you are a short drive from the Hamptons. You are on the outskirts of the North Fork wine trail ... and several wineries are within a 20 minute drive of the hotel. The outlet mall is literally right next door.

You will pay for the 'trendy' factor of this hotel ... however, the rooms aren't anything special other than a few hip/modern design elements. It is much classier than the Holiday Inn Express in town (which is a complete disaster!) but I don't know that I would choose the Hotel Indigo over the nearby Hyatt or Hilton Garden Inn because of the small rooms and more expensive nature of the hotel, which I call the 'hip tax'.

Some will like it ... some will hate it. If you are a W Hotel type of person ... you will like it. If you want larger rooms and aren't overly concerned with a hip hotel, you might want to check elsewhere. Also, for some reason the rooms smell like old socks. I know this sounds like an exaggeration but when you get in the rooms ... there is an odd odor in every room. I am not sure if it is due to the paint on the walls or just years of Ramada Inn smokers. But it is there.

Also, you will have quite a hike unless your room is near the lobby. As this is an old hotel, they were set up differently than modern hotels with long winding hallways of rooms vs. multiple floors.

Room Tip: Try to get close to the lobby to avoid a hike
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank LovinHotelLife
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear AVeryPickyTraveler,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I apologize that our hotel fell below your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed there with a bunch of friends and had a fantastic time. Hotel went out of there way to accommodate our party. They arranged a van for a wine tour and booked a side room so we can fit a large group for dinner. Rooms are very clean and relaxing. I would recommend it to any of my friends.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for good restaurants in the area, the ones they recommended where fantastic.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matthew J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
#5 of 12 in Hampton Bays
The Drake Inn
The Drake Inn
#1 of 12 in Hampton Bays

Been to Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End? Share your experiences!