“Service with a capital S”

Hotel Indigo East End
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Service with a capital S”
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

We are staying here now and had to write about how fabulous it is. Staff is so great that they're bordering on enabling ;o). I said that I wanted to curl up in my pjs with a dessert wine and dessert and they made it happen. Restaurant is fab and is quite reasonable. Did I mention that the place is so clean that the air is even filtered. Cool modern fixtures too.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank GetMeOuttaHere07076

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We did a Living Social deal for 2 nights at the Hotel Indigo and had a terrific time. The room was modern, immaculate and the two queen beds were extremely comfortable. We were able to check-in an hour early and the staff was pleasant and efficient… outlet shopping is basically right next-door.

On our second day we did the included wine tour. We left the hotel at noon in a 36 passenger immaculate white bus with our delicious picnic lunches, visited 3 wineries and returned at about 5pm. What a pleasure not to drive, being able to enjoy our afternoon tastings. We had dinner in the Bistro 72 onsite restaurant that evening. The dinner menu provides two prices for dinner, one is ‘appetizer size’ and the other is full dinner. Since we enjoyed our gourmet lunch and wine we opted for the smaller dinners. We shared what turned out to be an enormous cheese plate, which included 3 delicious cheeses, almonds, various fresh berries and dried apricots. The personal size thin crust pizza we ordered was delicious also. My husband choose the pork shanks and I had the small portion of papardelle (portions were generous). All that and the total was under $60! We felt dinner was a bargain, not at all expensive as others have said. We also ate breakfast in the restaurant both mornings. Nice offerings, however, the $4 cost for regular coffee was a bit high.

We have some suggestions; the bathroom could use an extra shelf for towels, then all toiletries could find a home in the vanity. The lighting in the room could be brighter. We will definitely return in the near future.

Room Tip: best to ask for a room with two beds, it is larger.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé and I went to Hotel Indigo this past weekend via LivingSocial. We were impressed by the modern room, the comfortable bed, and the lovely view of the back patio and pool.

Friday night we had dinner at Bistro 72 in front of a fireplace, while listening to the singer/guitarist Dinny Ken play all of our favorite tunes. The service was excellent, except for the fact that our dinner didn't get to us for a half hour. But when it did...wow! I had an amazing pork loin with grilled vegetables, cooked to perfection and really fresh. My fiancé had the cioppono and we both downed the broth to the last drop. Dessert was insane - 3 scoops of sorbet - raspberry, coconut and mango - with fresh, locally grown berries.

Breakfast was wonderful on both days, and they have a breakfast pizza that's to die for. One night we hung out with our cocktails on the patio in front of a big fireplace. They had heaters scattered around as well, and comfy sofas. It was a great way to end a long day.

We will definately be going back to Hotel Indigo!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenlawn, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the hotel this past weekend to celebrate our engagement/getway for a night and while the property is beautiful and they did a very nice job with making the rooms modern, the service needs a serious upgrade. After we checked in for our queen room, we walked in and it was a room with two doubles. We called the front desk to explain and were placed on hold while they "checked" and about of 5-7 min later after tired of waiting, we just walked with all our luggage back to the front desk. The young girl working at the front desk explained they were sold out for the weekend and had no queens available. Well then how did I book a queen when I called? I explained I was sleeping in a double with my fiance on our weekend getaway. She politely told us, "I'm sure you could both fit." We looked at each other in awe and demanded they find us a room. Finally she miraculously found an available room and sent us on our way. When we got to this room, it was one bed, but hardly a queen. Later that night, I ran into another guest at the bar who stated she also thought her bed was a little small because she has a queen at home and her and her boyfriend has to squeeze quite a bit. I'm not sure the hotel even has queen beds! I think the bigger rooms for two beds have two doubles and the smaller rooms that fit one bed are also a double, but deceiving because the room is smaller, the bed looks bigger then it is. Perhaps this is why the front desk girl thought we "could squeeze" on it because she knows all the rooms have the same bed anyway???

Then upon arrival, we were looking forward to eating at Bistro 72. Menu looked great. However, the restaurant is so small, when we called at 4pm, the entire night was booked and they were no longer accepting any reservations. They had some private party going on in a side room and even the bar was packed until very late. Thus, we decided to order room service. After ordering some $150 worth of food, we were told it would be about 45 min. Nearly 2 hrs later, we still had no food and my fiance had to walk down to see what was going on! They said their kitchen was backed up and they had a private event going on, but that's not our fault. Your kitchen needs more help then! They assured us in 10 min we would have it. True, within 10 min we had our meal at the room and the manager was nice enough to comp us a bottle of the wine we were drinking. However, not too long after they left did we start to eat our soup and cioppino and realized not a single place setting they gave us had a spoon. So here we were, waiting again, for spoons to be delievered. By then, our soup was cold and less then enjoyable.

Later that night, my fiance walked to the front desk to pick up a little snack only to be hit with a $3 price tag on a khashi granola bar and a $5 charge on a pre-packaged sara lee like brownie. By chance, the nighttime manager Ken was on and happened to ask my fiance how his night was going. Not only was he the oldest person we had seen working there yet, he was also the most professional. My fiance explained the service issues thus far and he was very apologetic. He really sympathized with my fiance. About 30 min later, we had a knock on our door with complimentary tickets to breakfast the next morning.

All in all we had a very nice stay. The bed, despite being small, was comfortable. We did bring our puppy with us, and the fact that the hotel is pet friendly is wonderful. The food, while taking entirely too long to get, was rather tastey. Our room had some temperature regulation issues and got very dry overnight that we all, including the dog, woke up with dry mouths. Drinks from the bar were good and strong. And the outside property is gorgeous with nice walkways, lots of seating areas with outdoor fireplaces. There were also a set of rooms that had outdoor patios with seating areas that looks really nice. Would have liked to stay in one of those. But the problem still remains with these boutique hotels versus reputable chains like Marriot or Hilton, that when you stay in a chain, what you ask for is 98% of the time what you get. You also have well-trained, seasoned staff that doesn't argue with you telling you that you can fit in a certain size bed. In terms of payroll, it may make sense for boutique hotels to hire younger staff, but when you are trying to cater to an upscale "boutique" hotel-goer, this type of staff doesn't fit the bill...

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with a patio/seating area if you like to be outside and along the walkway where pe...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo East End, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear sportif7,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Deer Park, NY
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just got back from a great two-night stay at Hotel Indigo thanks to a Living Social deal, and will absolutely be returning the next time we take a trip out east. The hotel is really attractive with a contemporary, sophisticated feel; the room was small bust comfortable, impeccably clean and beautifully furnished. Am not entirely convinced that our "queen" bed was really a queen - seemed to be the same size as our full-size mattress at home - but it was super-comfortable and I actually slept well, which is a real rarity for me in hotels. Everyone we spoke to was extremely friendly and helpful, which I also find to be rare on LI. The hotel has a lovely pool and outdoor patio/lounge area, complete with fireplaces, which was not really open/running in the chilly weather but which I would love to take advantage of in the summer.

We ate two meals in Bistro 72, the onsite restaurant, which had an interesting menu for both meals, if rather overpriced. the cheese plate at dinner is a great deal, with truly generous portions of three cheeses (though I wish the menu or the server would tell you what they were - we had to ask the chef when he walked through the dining area to find out what a particularly delicious truffled cheese was) plus fresh fruit and marcona almonds. Full size dinner portions were about the perfect size, and the chef clearly knows how to handle vegetables as they were the highlight of both our dinners. My duck and my partner's lamb were tasty but inconsistently cooked - both were requested rare, but came out with some pieces that were medium or almost well-done. Breakfast portions were generous and both my partner's poached eggs and my frittata were perfectly cooked. Might have wished for more of my vegetable selections in the frittata, but that's a fairly minor quibble. Would say overall that the restaurant is overpriced but decent - would probably go again for the cheese plate alone, or to try one of their delicious sounding salads with a glass of wine or a cocktail, but would go elsewhere for a full meal.

Part of the Living Social deal was a chauffered vineyard tour on the North Fork, which despite having a very large group was perfectly organized and timed and a completely enjoyable experience. Have never been on a bussed vineyard tour before but would do another with Indigo in a heartbeat.

Would absolutely recommend this spot to other North Fork travellers! We had a wonderful time and are looking forward to another stay.

Greenwood Lake, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Work takes me to the Riverhead, NY area from time to time, and since the opening of the Hotel Indigo East End, it's something I very much look forward to. Easily accessible right at the end of the Long Island Expressway, the Hotel Indigo is a surprise - very stylishly decorated, and with an excellent Bar and Restuarant, every time I visit I receive a warm welcome. The food in the Bistro 72 is great, and the chef uses a great many local ingredients. Last visit I had a wild mushroom soup, and crab cakes, and both were delicious. I'm looking forward to a return visit during the warmer months, as the pool and the surrounding sundeck look quite appealing. As a Priority Club member, I also usually receive a discount on dinner, or a free glass of wine, which is always appreciated.

Room Tip: I'd go for a pool side room - a very pleasant view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband and I just had our wedding reception at Hotel Indigo East End. Everything was perfect. The rooms are quiet, clean, air-conditioned & everything was in working condition. The beds very comfortable & FREE Wi Fi throughout the hotel!
The food at Bistro 72 was delicious. The menu had a large selection and the staff were attentive and courteous.
Thank you to all the great staff at Hotel Indigo for helping us out with all the details. They were both friendly and helpful and just want to help you any way they could. If you want a great location, value for money, 5 star hotel you'd be hard to match this amazing hotel in Riverhead NY. Loved it & will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
#1 of 12 in Hampton Bays
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor

Been to Hotel Indigo East End? Share your experiences!