“This is a great winery”

Ranked #7 of 30 things to do in Riverhead
Rye Brook, New York
“This is a great winery”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

First of all, the wine is excellent; after doing a flight for tasting we bought a bottle of both red and white. They have friendly servers, and the give cheese and bread with your tasting. I would definitely go back again.

Visited May 2014

Riverhead, New York, USA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Must try winery”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The wines at Roanoke are outstanding and the owners are wonderful, friendly people. There are tables outside overlooking the vines and a cozy tasting room with a back room that has a fireplace. Great any time of the year.

Visited December 2013
Needham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rude Staff/ Inconsistent Hours of Operation”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were driving three hours to get to Riverhead. I had originally called to let them know we would arrive at 3:30. Then when I saw that we would be delayed, I called again. The lady on the phone said as long as we arrived before 4:30 we would be fine, but wanted me to know that after 4:30 they would stop serving and would close the tasting room at 5.

We arrived at 4:15 and Chris, who worked the tastings, before saying "hello" or "welcome" immediately and rudely told us "We're open for sales only." After I told him we were reassured on the phone that we had to arrive before 4:30, he essentially said, "I would have told you different."
And then he proceeded to mention that his wife was pregnant, so we could basically get lost.

The woman who spoke with me on the phone appeared. She said, "I thought I told you 3:30." When I reminded her of our recent call, she said "I could hardly hear you." I explained that I heard her perfectly, and she could not have been clearer: Arrive before 4:30, and we would be served.

Needless to say, I asked if they owned the winery, and they did not. That much is obvious. Because if the owners were there, I'm sure the eight of us who appeared would have have been treated much more nicely. We were lucky enough to sneak into Paumanok Vineyards before they closed where we spent a few hundred bucks on wine and told their incredulous staff how poorly we were treated up the road at Roanoke.

I understand that on New Year's Even one might want to close early. I also understand the desire to be home with one's pregnant wife. But those are calls to be made in advance they should be widely publicized on the website so people who travel long distances are not turned away. And finally, given the miscommunication, the staff should have just served us and been gracious. It would have taken 10 minutes. Instead, they were rude and dismissive and cost their company a good amount of business and goodwill.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank steinalive
Arlington, Texas
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Always our last stop on our annual winery tour”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We do an annual wine tasting - rent a limo, drink, eat, drink some more. And our last stop - and always the best stop is Roanoke. They are friendly, helpful, the place is warm and comforting. A good place to take in a bottle or two, make that last bathroom break and then prepare to drive back to the real world.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank billp25
West Islip
“Top Winery on Long Island”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Simply the best wines on Long Island and one of the best tasting room staffs. Wines to made to last.

Visited November 2013