“Good Hotel, a little pricey”

Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding, and while we got a group rate I still found it to be pricey for the hotel. Granted, the location of this hotel is what makes it so costly, as it is literally across the street from the Tanger Outlets and beautiful locations, but for a general chain hotel it was rather expensive. I did enjoy my room, but the walls were very thin. Had an excellent brunch selection the next morning and for around $14 you got a lot of food choices.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

To William S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. It looks as though your overall stay was positive and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. If you call me directly at the hotel, I will try and get you the best possible rate for your stay as I know demand does drive prices up during our peak season. Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

This property takes advantage of the fact that there are only a few chain hotels in that area of Long Island and price according-hiking the rate way up on Friday and Saturday night. Its in an inconvenient location. They have no shuttle service. Breakfast is $13.95+ no matter what you want. I spent 4 days at this hotel feeling totally ripped off.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer H
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Jennifer H,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. I noticed that in addition to your review that you were also sent a Guest Survey from Hilton. Your survey indicates that there were no issues with the hotel but price and services available (Shutle) were your main concern. As a Hospitality Professional for over 20 years, my job is not only to provide the best service available but to make everyone a more informed traveler. Now as far as rates go, all hotels work on the same basic principal, when demand for hotel rooms is high, rates will go up. As you can imagine, we have a peak season that starts on Memorial Day and ends around mid October. As a business, we must maximize our revenue in order to get through the winter without closing. Riverhead and the Hamptons are seasonal locations with many restaurants and businesses that close in the winter. During your stay on Thursday to Monday, your rate reflected a spike on Friday and Saturday because the hotel was at full capacity. Your rate for Thursday and Sunday were reflected your discount because of the lower demand. I do understand that we are only one of a few chains but there are some B&B's that are charging upward of $600 per night and there is no restaurant, pool, fitness center, business center and indoor and outdoor spa. Now as a HHonors member at the Silver level there are some things I should remind you about the brand you are giving your loyalty to. Hilton has several different levels of hotel brand including long term stay, select service and full service. The Hilton Garden Inn Brand breakfast is the same all over the United States. Our breakfast is $13.95 for an all you can eat buffet. Other brands offer free breakfast or A la carte pricing. This will benefit you when you stay at another Hilton property as you will not be dissapointed now that you will know before your stay. Also remember, TripAdvisor is not just a site that you can write a review but learn about the hotel before staying so you will know what to expect. I apologize that we do not have shuttle service like the neighboring hotels. We have the shuttles available for our Wine Tours and Wedding packages and do not staff shuttle drivers unless these are booked in advance. After doing reserch, we found that 97% of our guests arrive by car and only 2% use the Long Island Rail Road and 1% use bus service. Staffing a shuttle driver at our hotel for 8-16 hours per day would not be beneficial to the business of our hotel. I know being from Memphis may not bring you around this area often but if you do decide to return, please contact me personally and I will provide you with the best rate possible and other gifts which will make your trip worth every penny. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Average room at this price point. Nothing remarkably good and nothing that's a deal breaker for the future. Pros: Clean room, comfortable bed, on-site restaurant, plenty of well-lit parking outstide. Cons: Biggest issue was the room noise from neighbors and hallway (felt like I was in a low-budget thin walled property) and there was no way to mask the noise (climate control did not allow for continuous air to create white noise). Also, the hotel is in an odd spot at the end of the highway before you leave town and either jump on 495 or head off into secluded areas. As a result if you want to head east you need to drive 1/2 mile west (completely leaving the main strip) and make a u-turn back into town. Hard to explain, but once you stay here you'll know why I even mention it as an issue.

Room Tip: Because of the thin nature of the walls I'd recommend the top floor to avoid potential overhead...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Darryl A,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. It looks as though your overall stay was positive and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. We appreciate you pointing out our clean rooms, comfortable beds and the amenities available. We do apologize that you were not satisfyed with the thin walls and appreciate the travel tip of requesting a higher floor. I'm sure this will be helpful to future travelers who will read your review prior to arriving. If you need any assistance in booking for the future, please contact me personally,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I have had good experiences at other Hilton hotels. The room rate at this property led us to believe we would be in a quality room. No blanket, a thin top sheet, and holes in the comforter left us feeling like we were in a shabby hotel. The smell of cigarette smoke or chemicals hit us upon entering the room. We had to set the air conditioning to cool the room.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

To Patrick F,
I am so sorry to hear you found your guestroom unacceptable. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams work very hard to keep our guestrooms comfortable and an unpleasant space is not the standard at our hotel. My sincerest apologies. I hope you consider staying with us again. We’d love to have you as our guest the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Riverhead for two nights in May 2014. The hotel was well maintained and the staff friendly. Our room was spacious and clean.We will use this chain again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

To Robert B,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Very clean, great food great location... highly recommended for business. I stay here for every occasion business meetings, weekend trips, lunch meetings. It is close to the outlets in case you bring family or friends while you have business to take care of.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

To Ryan N,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. Ryan, you make a great point in your review by saying that you can work hard and still have some time to take advantage of what the hotel and the surrounding area have to offer. I can't tell you how many families I see wave goodbye to someone as they go off to work as the family stays behind and uses the pool, goes shopping, goes to Splish Splash and my favorite, goes on a wine tour. Again than you Ryan for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had to attend an afternoon conference on Long Island recently and stayed overnight. This was a great hotel, a good price and a good location. Headed into New York City the next morning and it only took about 45 minutes to an hour. Beds were very comfortable, hotel was clean and it was a nice stay. My husband has stayed here many times on business and highly recommends it as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Rhonda P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. We are so glad to hear that your stay was both relaxing and productive. We look forward to both you and your husband returning to the hotel and if there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Brian J. Mauro

Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
#4 of 12 in Hampton Bays
The Hamlet Inn
The Hamlet Inn
#2 of 8 in Southampton

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead? Share your experiences!