“nice rest stop when traveling to Greenport or Montauk”

Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I decided to stay overnight here instead of in Montauk. We went to Montauk for the day, went to the beach, ate lunch, etc. And when we were tired of that, we headed back toward Riverhead to this hotel. Hotel is clean, rooms are comfortable, and breakfast the next morning was fine. We're actually going to stay here again In October 2014 for a family wedding on the North Fork. I believe the hotel has transportation to the wineries in the area. The hotel is also across the street from the Tanger outlets, so it's easy to get some shopping done while you're there!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear MrsMylo,
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. We take great pride in our service and clean and comfortable accomodations as well as our Food and Beverage offerings. We look forward to your return in October and if there is anything that I can assist you with prior to your return, do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was directed to this place by some relatives who were getting married. It certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, as I have stayed on Long Island before, and enjoyed it. The majority of the problems with this place are design issues that the people running the place could not fix.

First off. The Good. -the staff...very professional and the customer service was great. the Bartender was extremely personable, and our bus driver, Gerard, was great on the outbound leg to the wedding. The same could not be said for the return trip, as the other driver seemed oblivious to the many remarks that the bus was stifling-maybe the AC wasn't working.

The room was clean, and the high-count sheets made for a comfortable night's sleep.
Loved the Keurig coffeemaker.

The Bad. Getting there: To get to this place, you have a choice. The road forks, and if you take the Right fork, you then have to turn left on to a side road that takes you through the labyrinthine trails of the nearest Outlet mall, and then doubling back and making a left turn. .
If you take the Left, then you have to make a 'U' turn by way of the Walmart parking lot!! Seriously!
NOW! If you wish to go into the town, you have to turn RIGHT, and go up the road about a mile and a half, THEN do a 'U' turn, driving past the hotel once again.

The Room. Whoever designed the doors must have had a degree in interior design from a college, and should ask for a refund on the tuition. I walked in to the room while my partner had just entered the bathroom. The doors collided! 4 foot doors don't work back-to-back.

Add to that the elevators- one was not working all weekend and there was a printed sign that said 'Out Order' on the door (I guess the repairman and the proof reader had the weekend off).

The Air conditioning unit was quite noisy, and nothing like anything I have heard in other Hiltons.

And the Ice machine. Again, some designer came up with the idea that the machine should only be on one floor. The second. I was on the third and getting ice in the middle of the night meant getting dressed and going down on the one available elevator. My bill for 3 nights came to over $750, and I REALLY think that they could come up with a small fridge with ice trays.

I didn't take advantage of the Breakfast buffet. For just over 13 bucks you got the normal fare that comes free at 'lesser' hotels, eggs, small sausages etc. . My partner and I did the 'U' turn and managed to find some healthier fare down the road.

Frankly, the decor was the same as I have seen in a couple of competitors hotels, for about half the price. I understand it's on Long island, but this place is sub-par. In my job, I teach Branding and Marketing at a college level, and so I seriously think that this place should be re-done as a Hampton Inn. It certainly doesn't embellish my opinion of a Hilton.

Room Tip: Get on the second floor if you need Ice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chicagoman8
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Chicagoman8,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY and sharing your experience with us. I would like to thank you for the kind words about our service and staff. I will be sure to share that with them as I know they appreciate the positive feedback. I want apologize that the remainder of your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback about the those aspects as well.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

quality wa 3 star perhaps,internet low[weak],1 broken elevator out of only 2 for entire weekend,no hot water or pressure in shower,uncomfortable bed,room service never came to clean our room for 7 hours? no towels etc service was motel standard at best for a hilton it was substandard

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tina L

Dear Tina L,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. . Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. I believe that you have filled out a survey with the hotel and I have responded back to your personal e-mail. Please contact me personally if there is any additional assistance I may provide.

631-727-2733

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Had to wait at check-in, keys didn't work, waited 28 minutes in a non-busy restaurant and still did not have my omelet, had to ask the front desk if someone was going to seat us in the restaurant as the sign said, was not asked about my stay and paid over $250. So not worth it!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank busdriver1369
HGIRiverhead, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for reaching out to us to share your experience via TripAdvisor. Please know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we apologize for our missteps in service, and for the frustration you faced with long wait times. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction, and welcome you to contact our offices directly if we may be of any additional assistance.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Handicap room was too small. Could have used more room to move around. Usually handicap rooms are very roomy. The bed was too high. Had to complain to manager twice before she had them lower the bed. Waiter forgot my dinner order and I had to wait extra long for my food. But he made good on my order.

Dear Ann T C,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. I'm glad to see by your scores that your overall stay was positive and that if something was out of place, my staff was able to correct it. I do remember you and recieving the call about lowering the bed in your room. Just to make sure, we measured to make sure we were at the correct ADA requirement. If you decide to ventrue back to Riverhead, please call me personally and I will make sure to have everything ready for your stay. Again, we thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Nice hotel, perfectly manicured for what they have, directly across from the Factory Outlets and close enough to wine country or Splish Splash Waterpark. However know that the rates can change drastically, your room can magically go from $127 a night to over $300 a night, depending on the dates you want to go (Summer is very popular on the Island). If this place were half the price it might be worth it, but looking around Long Island, it is hard to find a bargain during the season anyway. If you want an extremely clean well kept place near everything and are willing to pay $300 a night, this is the place for you. The Long Island Fork restaurant is decent, and they have wine tastings as well. Kids loved the heated pool. The rooms are good sized, comfortable, supreme mattress good sized TV, and the bathrooms decent. The staff are tremendous, always friendly and willing to help, and are very knowledgeable about restaurants in the area (they do not push you to eat in like some places might). In all a decent experience, if I had not stayed here off season I would not now that the price more than doubles, so we will excuse that one and time our next stay, we we will be returning for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room, quieter.

Dear westtom22,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. I will make sure to share your review with the management and staff. I'm also glat to see thay your family enjoyed the amenities the hotel had to offer. We look forward to your return and if there is anything I can assist you with, please contact me personally.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Great hotel in an under served area with great shopping near by in the teeming metropolis of Riverhead. I've stayed at this location numerous times and have never had an issue or been disappointed. The closest you will come to a NYC style hotel in Eastern Suffolk at the crossroads to the twin forks.

Dear BigEddieM,
Thank your for writing an amazing review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and await your return. If there is anything I can do to assist your with your future travels, please call me personally. I will be sure to share this review with the management and staff.

Brian J. Mauro

Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Colonial Shores Resort
#4 of 12 in Hampton Bays
21 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead? Share your experiences!