“Easter Brunch was Terrible”
Review of The Rhinecliff

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rhinecliff
The Rhinecliff
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhinecliff
Albany NY
“Easter Brunch was Terrible”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I was so excited to have Easter Brunch at The Rhinecliff, but after I left I was so disappointed especially considering the $200 plus dollars I had just spent for a party of 4. We had to wait over 30 minutes beyond our reservation. After the host seated 2 tables before us with parties that had no reservation. We specifically requested a table away from the entertainment and were sat there anyway. We then waited another 10 minutes and then flagged down a waitress for silverware. Considering this was just a buffet I don't understand why the service was so awful and slow. The coffee was ice cold and the buffet was not replenished in a timely manner. There were a number of customers waiting for over 10 minutes just for bacon. I would reconsider before dining at this establishment!!!

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank rebeccaj25
jameschapm, owner at The Rhinecliff, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
As ever at The Rhinecliff, we always try to accommodate our guests in every way, and when a large number of unreserved guests arrived in addition to our substantial reserved guests, we tried our very best to accommodate everybody, the net result being that our staff in some areas (and the buffet even!) became a little overwhelmed, and service inevitably suffered, for which we can only apologize profusely. Some lessons were learned and we hope to do better next time. Though many, many guests left having spent a great Easter with us, some certainly did endure less than perfect service and we would ask any of these guests to please contact us so that we may make good on what should have been a perfect day for everybody. We strive so hard to give everybody a truly super time who visits with us that feedback like this is naturally very painful, but nonetheless much needed and gratefully accepted, so thank you.
Sincerely, James Chapman, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
brooklyn
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Just spent a night there with 6 of my family members (3 rooms).
Quick ride up the Hudson on Amtrak and literally walked to the hotel from the train station.

Beautiful restoration of a classic inn. The rooms are spacious with beautiful woodwork, super comfy beds, and spa-like baths. I think every room has a balcony?
The proprietor (James) and his manager (Jeffrey) are professional and hands-on yet approachable, flexible, not overly formal, and very welcoming.

The bar/restaurant are great: nice easy vibe at night (70's night! James DJ'd, we got our dance on), and nice brunch in the morning. The fries are stupendous.
French toast amazing. The bartender is generous with the pours.

I would definitely go back, and next time, I would take advantage of the complimentary earplugs provided in each room as the train, while nostalgic and fun during the day, was not so nice at 5:30 am after a 2am bedtime :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kc_bklyn_10
New York
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I found that the restaurant was over priced, the food minuscule and lacked any substance. The meatloaf sandwich I had for lunch was dry or the garlic overdone. The fries were greasy and the cordon bleu was something I could have made better at home. I think they need a new chef and or lower their prices to match the standard of the food.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Brooklyn
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I will not be able to comment on the room only on the poor customer service I experienced in trying to reserve a room. I made the reservation online and immediately received an email that someone would be in touch with me. I waited all day and didn't receive anyhing. I also made several phone calls that day to try to reach someone just to make sure it went through. After calling 6 times throughout the day, I finally left a message explaining the situation and gave my phone number. TWO DAYS went by and several phone calls later and no one picking up the phone. I finally get through to a receptionist on the day of our reservation only to find out that there are no rooms available!!! We had to scramble to find somewhere else to stay since we were leaving in 2 hours. They were not helpful at all and did not try to offer any kind of discount/coupon for a future stay. I will be sure not to recommend the Rhinecliff to anyone else.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alyce G
STAUNTON
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We have eaten here several times, and have always found the food to be good to excellent. The issue comes however with the service. There is plenty of wait staff - perhaps too many, and they don't appear to be "managed". They trip over themselves, and appear to be poorly trained. I have never seen the same face twice, and I believe this is where the problem lies - the turnover of staff. The last time we ate here, the waiter placed a bread plate on the table that had remains of food on it. When I pointed it out to him, he tried to wipe it off rather than replace the plate. I find the service so exasperating at times that the food simply doesn't compensate for it. The owners are trying to inject some nice details, but it always seems to miss the mark. Train the staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We stayed here way back in 2008 for our first anniversary. This hotel was only open for a few months at that time. We loved it!! We stayed in a river room, decent size, comfy bed and great big bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and walk in shower. The views over the Hudson river were lovely, especially on a cool September morning with lots of mist-very romantic!! This hotel( I should really call it an Inn, it only has 10 or so rooms) was nicer, in my humble opinion, than some of the other hotels in the area-they seem to be very old fashioned with (gasp) chintz! For the younger crowd, this is more like it! The staff were quite nice. Rhinecliff is the next hamlet over from Rhinebeck so not in walking distance to anything, but a short drive. Great little shops and a nice organic farmers market on summer weekends. The complimentary breakfast will FILL YOU UP FOR THE ENTIRE DAY. Delicious english style breakfast and croissants that satisfied until dinner time! I recommend the Terrapin for a good relaxed dinner. Nice vibe. So if you're going to the Rhinebeck area I would definitely suggest this hotel. Plus they have a pretty lively bar considering the very quiet location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Saugerties, NY
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We recently had our wedding reception at the Rhinecliff. We found the owner (James) and the event coordinator (Jeffrey) to be wonderful in helping to plan and execute our reception. The level of attention and service that James and Jeffrey provided was above and beyond the call of duty and our reception was fantastic. Our guests raved about the venue, the quality food, and the overall experience. James and Jeffrey helped making our wedding experience to be truly memorable and I would highly recommend the Rhinecliff to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinecliff
Hampton Inn Kingston
#4 of 10 in Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to The Rhinecliff? Share your experiences!