“Classic Riverfront Elegance”
Review of The Rhinecliff

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rhinecliff
The Rhinecliff
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhinecliff
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My wife and I waited in anticipation for the opening of the Rhinecliff and our first trip there exceeded our expectations. The restoration was impeccably executed and the setting on the Hudson harkens back to what it must have felt like 100 years ago during its heyday. Loved the fixtures and elegance of the guest rooms. Coupled with a contemporary and lively Saturday dinner crowd with ample room for outdoor drinks and conversation, we think Rhinecliff is world-class gem we wish we could tell more people about!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2009

I took my girlfriend here last Easter for a romantic getaway, my first trip ever up the valley. Wasn't sure exactly what to expect, although the photos of the hotel were gorgeous. When I called up they were all out of the standard rooms, but they gave us a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite. The room was unbelievable, with two-storey arched ceilings and exposed wooden beams, a gigantic jacuzzi tub, and a granite spa shower. Not at all what I expected for what I thought would be more of a b&b. The current owner is English, and this was reflected in the formal take-care-of-you service we got when we were downstairs. The food in the hotel was outstanding, again exceeding my expectations for a small-town establishment. I highly recommend both the burger and (surprisingly) the chicken. They also have a full selection of top shelf liquor and great wines. (Their "well" liquor consisted of Gordon's, Tito's, and Bacardi, and only went up from there.) If you are a snobby city boy like me who likes the best quality places everywhere you go, I highly recommend this place. Oh yeah, the view is killer too.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The Rhinecliff Hotel, after extensive upgrading, is surely the #1 hotel in the area. It nicely exploits its location on the Hudson, offering lovely views from the restaurant and from many rooms. We found the staff sweet and quick -- very quick -- to accomodate us whenever we had a problem.

The restaurant serves very good, even creative, food -- having dined there for 2 bountiful breakfasts (it's included in the room price), a lunch and a dinner. The food, setting and service now clearly rival that of Terrapin anhd Beekman Arms, the other 2 top restaurants in the area. Service was good (though somewhat amatuerish -- but this is, after all, Rhinecliff, not Manhattan), the portions huge and the menu creative.

Rooms were large (ours was a premium room), baths were very modern and beds were very comfortable. The hotel indeed is on it's way to becoming top-notch, if it corrects a few flaws. These, though minor, are not really accdeptable in a hotel charging the high prices that the Rhinecliff asks for a room.

The flaws:
1) There was not a single drawer in the entire room -- not one. No place to put a wallet, or watch, or earings or anything. We were told that drawers were kept out because of aesthetic concerns. Well, this is one time (not the first) when aesthetics undermines comfort. There is plenty of space in the room to place a small chest of drawers. The hotel should do it.

2) There is very little surface space upon which to place anything -- books, papers, wallets, eyeglasses and so forth. There are two small nightstands and one small surface that serves as a writing desk (no drawers, however). There is no coffee table, though there is plenty of space for one.

3) The Rhinecliff area offers sweet, cool air at night. Yet we had to sleep with the windows closed and the air-conditionuing going full force -- because the hotel advised us that if we opened windows insects would fly in since there are no screens on the windows. That's a puzzling policy for the hotel. After all, air conditioners surely add enormously to the hotel's electricity costs. Our strong suggestion: Put screens on the window. Let guests enjoy the Rhinecliff fresh air. Save on power costs.

4) The closet is so tiny that it could not even hold the clothes we brought for just 2 days. Half of the closet is devoted to shelves. If a chest of drawers were placed in the room, the shelves could be removed from the closet, thus doubling the hanging-space.

These are all minor flaws, easily corrected. They distracted a bit from our enjoyment of the hotel, but not enough to erode the great pleasure of 2 nights at the Rhinecliff Hotel. When we return to the Rhinebeck/Rhinecliff area, we will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChuckNYC
Reviewed July 6, 2009

nice views of the hudson except for the railway walkover. Nice looking pub style bar and patio. poor service. to start an assistant wait staff served us a bag of cocktail nuts and kettle made chips only to realize a short time later that it was meant for the next table. We howver thought it was a compliment to our drink orders and began eating from each. The waitress then removed the snacks from our table only to put it on the table it was meant for after we had OUR HANDS IN IT. WORSE OF ALL - the patrons next to us never said anyhing --they must not have noticed where it was prior to them. The waitress was not helpful in helping us decide on dinner entrees as the menu changes each week and the preparations of the dishes were unusual. Also did not seem to pair well with the apps. we had bread and butter with no knife to spread it with, we had soup with no spoons, and i finally asked for knives to have with our dinner. Best of all_- i received my martini in a SNIFFER! you just cant drink a martini from a Sniffer. I guess they ran out of glasses. our waitress only appeared back at our table at the end of our courses. She was nice. not a big hustler though.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MelBertPT
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I usually dont write reviews for places but I just couldnt resist this one. From the onset of trying to make reservations, based upon an ad in the newspaper, for our familys Easter dinner I should have known better. Nobody answered the phone. I left a message and nobody called back. Finally after 4 hrs. I called again, no answer. I got a call back about 20 minutes after the second call. The girl I spoke to seemed agitated that she had to talk to me and in a way spoke down to me. Not friendly at all. When we got there which was about 5 minutes before our reservation time the same girl informed us that we were early and our table wasnt ready yet. Finally after about 20 minutes we were seated next to the construction site so we had doors and windows opening up letting cold air in during the meal. The meal itself was terrible. I will never eat a place that has a "european chef" again. How can you screw up eggs and bacon? Have them come out cold and hard, thats how. Maybe the kitchen was in the construction site with no doors and windows.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessie12005
Reviewed December 30, 2008

The Rhinecliff is an excellent spot for a romantic getaway as well as a great place to go to escape the hustle and bustle of new york city life. It is a two hour commute via Amtrak but worth every minute. The Rhinecliff has a large selection of beers you don't see or taste every day. The App's are great and the steak was excellent. The rooms are very spacious and the view off all the balconies are wonderfull. The rooms are very romantic and comfy and the rain showers in the bathroom will wash away any stress that you may have. My girlfriend and I enjoyed the stay and we can't wait till March of 2009, because we will be going back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BallsDeep007
Reviewed December 22, 2008

In need of a 2 day getaway from NYC, my girlfriend and I boarded an Amtrak train to The Rhinecliff, and less than 2 hours later we were deposited in front of the hotel. The quality restoration of the hotel clearly shows, even to first time visitors like us who are not up to date on local history. We had a "River" room for two nights. The room was spotless, with amenities you could expect from a high-end boutique hotel back in NYC. The hotel cafe and bar were similarly high-end. My girlfriend and I are vegetarians, and the kitchen staff quickly concocted dishes for us above and beyond what was on the English-style meat and potatoes menu. The hotel is two miles from Rhinebeck, and taxis can bring you back and forth if you do not feel like walking. The views across the Hudson to Kingston are stunning, especially at night. We stayed at the hotel during a snowstorm, and the weather only enhanced the view. There is an active train track in front of the hotel, but it is used maybe a dozen times a day, and my girlfriend and I did not notice the traffic. We appreciated having a 200 foot commute to the train back to NYC at the end of our stay. The staff of the hotel were cheerful and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for getaways from NYC. It just doesn't get any easier than boarding Amtrak and walking 200 feet to your high-end rooms by the beautiful Hudson river at the end of the train trip out.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank AbeFromanEast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinecliff
Hampton Inn Kingston
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls

Been to The Rhinecliff? Share your experiences!