“Beautiful view to save for a summer trip”
Review of The Rhinecliff

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rhinecliff
The Rhinecliff
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhinecliff
burgh757@verizon.net
“Beautiful view to save for a summer trip”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel has many lovely features, such as the view, very pleasant and helpful staff and nicely updated rooms. We had a beautiful large bathroom with a spa tube and separate shower but the floor was like ice. My main complaint was the draftiness of the rooms, including common rooms and guest rooms. You could see the space between the terrace doors and the walls.

Room Tip: No elevator so if stairs are an issue stay on the second floor. There is an outside entrance to this...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scarletd0g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Wanted to like this hotel very much like someone else was saying. The train didn't disturb our sleep as the bed was very comfortable.

We were not impressed that: 1) Considering the size of the room we stayed (350 sq/ft), there was no table to sit inside, 2) the hair dryer didn't work, 3) the entry door to the 3rd floor needed to get fixed -- it didn't close properly, 4) there was no public area to hang out (the reception area is tiny), 5) the breakfast was ok (from all the reviews I've read, I thought it'd be really really awesome, but it was ok. Good food, but nothing exceptional.) 6) Attention to detail missing -- all the cables for the TV and internet were visible, disturbing the room view 7) No restaurants close by except for a Chinese restaurant which was closed on the night we wanted to try... Lastly although the train didn't disturb our sleep, it was not as relaxing as we had wanted the stay to be.

Basically, we had high expectation about this place from all the reviews, and the hotel experience we had didn't meet that.

We really enjoyed the jacuzzi and people were nice. I don't think we'll be coming back, however.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floor (the 3rd floor)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank day_dreamer_bk
USA
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. Firstly, I did not find any of the passing trains disturbing. The trains are the least of their problems. I feel that for $300 a night the linens should not have holes in them and the towels should be spotless. Instead we had ragged linens and wine (hopefully not blood?) stained towels. The walls are paper thin. So, instead of warnings about the trains, the hotel should disclose the fact that guests WILL hear their neighbors as distinctly as if they are in the same room with them. You can hear a complete conversation in a room above you. If you are going for a relaxing getaway - this is not the place for you.

On the plus side, the restaurant had great breakfast and wait staff was very attentive. The location is very convenient if you want to arrive by train and the views are beautiful. And of course the town is lovely any time of the year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KBNYC
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I really wanted to love this hotel, but unfortunately, did not. For a pricey hotel, you would do well to shell out a tad more for a nicer place in the town of Rhinebeck. I booked the room last minute (2.5 weeks in advance) as a surprise anniversary trip for my husband. I thought it would be convenient and relaxing since we could take the train and wouldn't need to drive. Wrong. They did not inform me when I made my reservation, nor did they indicate on their website, that their restaurant/bar is closed during the winter months. I followed up when I found a review stating this, and they confirmed it was closed. It was too late to cancel the reservation without a significant penalty, and they told me we could eat at the Chinese restaurant nearby or take a cab into town. While those might have been nice options, it was not what I had been looking forward to. Still, I packed a nice "to-go" meal before leaving home, still looking forward to our stay. We checked in, and our room was tiny, and there was no place to sit down and eat...since there was no table. We ate our dinner on the floor. We realized there was no fitted sheet on our bed, and when the front desk brought us one (which we had to put on ourselves), we found holes it it, that appeared to be from cigerettes. Additionally, several of the towels in our bathroom were stained. Our breakfast in the morning might have been good, but it took 45 minutes to be served, so we had to eat as fast as possible in order not to missed our 10:50 am train that I couldn't tell you how it tasted.

Overall, the hotel is beautiful, but it feels like the owner ran out of money and/or energy to finish it.

The nicest part of this trip was the train ride home. There are many nicer places to stay along the Hudson for around the same price (around $240), this place is not nearly worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kate R
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while attending a Saturday cooking class at the CIA in November. We splurged on one of the upgraded rooms which was very spacious and had a jacuzzi and a balcony with a river view. Our first night was very relaxing, we got in late after driving from NYC. When we went down for breakfast as soon as it opened (which is included in the fee) the chef was late. Unfortunately, after waiting for about 45 minutes we had to leave in order to get to the cooking class on time. The waiter was extremely kind and wrapped up our breakfast to go and on the second morning we did not have any issues and the food and coffee was delicious.

While I do not have too many complaints about this hotel and our overall experience was positive, it seems that the hotel itself has a identity crisis, conflicted between a serene spa-like escape from the city and a happening place for the locals to party. While the hallways and our room (and the common rooms) were clean and aesthetically pleasing, I didn't find that this hotel provided the quiet getaway that I was looking for. Prior reviews warned us of the Amtrak trains, but the bothersome noise actually came from within the hotel. There was some kind of jazz event going on in the common rooms which was pretty loud and early the next morning you could hear furniture moving in the dining room. I feel that this hotel has all of the ingredients for a quiet getaway out of the city, especially given its location, but it doesn't completely deliver.

Pros: Short drive to downtown Rhinebeck and Hyde Park, good food and friendly wait staff, clean rooms with nice amenities and river views.
Cons: High prices, surprisingly loud for such a serene location

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My sister got married at the rhinecliff and we all stayed at the hotel. All of our guest loved there rooms. The craftsmanship of the rooms was beautiful. The rooms are impressive. The bed was so comfortable and I wanted to live in the jacuzzi tub. Although my mom raved about her shower. Our children loved the trains in the morning and I loved the french press coffee. We all had brunch together the next morning and the staff was excellent. My daughter thought this was her new home but that's the feel the place has.
James the owner, Erica his second in command, Chris at the front desk whom my sister referred to as her personal assistant and all the rest of the staff went above and beyond for our family. I would recommend this hotel for all types of travel whether leisure, business or wedding guest.

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were looking for a quick getaway from the city and had always had our eyes on The Rhinecliff. At the time of booking we were advised that the restaurant and bar onsite were closed for the winter, but that brunch was still served. We were also briefed about the trains at night and thought maybe to try somewhere else. But in the end we tried it out and were absolutely not disappointed.

The view of the Hudson was breathtaking and we were so happy that we had booked a River Room. We were received by very friendly staff, the conditions of our River Room on the 3rd floor were fantastic. Despite not having an open restaurant onsite, the place across the street China Rose was delicious and had great service.

We will definitely be back again, perhaps during another time of year when it's not snowing.

Thanks Rhinecliff!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulieMarie718
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinecliff
Hampton Inn Kingston
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park
Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn

Been to The Rhinecliff? Share your experiences!