“What a great surprise!”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have eaten at a lot of the restaurants in Rhinebeck, but tonight my brother was in the mood for Italian, so I did a search to see what was around. Saw some reviews for Francesca's - and neither one of us had even heard of it, so we decided to give it a try.

It is in the strip mall off Rt 9 - the official address is 6795 Route 9, Rhinebeck. I am glad I called to verify the address before we took off, or we would have gone completely in the wrong direction based on google maps!

The restaurant is unassuming, small inside but cozy and comfortable. Our waitress was attentive and we ordered our meals - I got the chicken Francese, which came with a garden salad, and angel hair pasta. My brother ordered the stuffed eggplant prix fix meal for 19.95, which also included a soup or salad (he had the soup), coffee or tea, and dessert.

the bread came out first with an eggplant type relish and butter. the bread was piping hot and delicious. My salad had a vinigarette with bleu cheese crumbles - excellent!! my brother had the soup - also very good.

When the dinners came out, we were not disappointed. The portions were a very good size. I had 2 pieces of chicken nicely done in a very nice sauce. My brother's eggplant was stuffed with ricotta and chicken and was unbelievably good!! I love chicken francese, but I think my brother got the best dinner tonight.

We decided to share his dessert and ordered the toasted almond cake. It was heavenly - a light sponge cake, layered with a cream and tasted like it had amaretto or some kind of almond syrup. It was the perfect dessert.

We had food left over to bring home - lunch tomorrow!!

the meal prices are not cheap, but they aren't over the top either. for the amount and quality of the food we thought it was very reasonable. Our meal was $42 before tip. We didn't order any drinks, but wine by the glass was reasonably priced.

We couldn't stop talking about how good the food was for the rest of the night - We still can't believe that we never heard about this place or stopped in before now - even though we had gone to the chinese food restaurant next door on many occasions! It is now on the top of our list of restaurants in the area. We will definitely be going back again!

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We first visited this restaurant 15 years ago about when it opened . The Italian food was delicious then and continues to be delicious. We have enjoyed every entree we have ordered and have tried them all over the years. Pizza is exceptionally good with a light crisp crust. The casual atmosphere is comfortable for all and it is a popular place for families. They recently upgraded the decor to make it even more pleasant. They are open for both lunch and dinner so call to check the days. Superb food.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have eaten here a few times, I have never been disappointed in the quality ot quantity of food. Service is great I really enjoyed it today.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

This is not a fancy place but it has true Italian food with large portions. My food was always good.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Having grown up in NYC I was always something of a pizza snob, when we moved to Rhinebeck we settled in and became regular customers of Village Pizza on Market Street. Their pizza is serviceable and very reminiscent of the slices I grew up with in Queens, lots of cheese, a bit chewy, nothing to write home about but adequate, then I became aware of Francesca's thanks to an article in the Hudson Valley Advertiser, the first bite was a revelation, an explosion of flavors, I'm not sure what secret they have to transform a pizza into a symphony of flavor, but if you're ever within a hundred miles, try it, you wont be disappointed.

1  Thank Michael P