“Cool atmosphere & great find in adorable town”
Review of Gigi Trattoria

Gigi Trattoria
Ranked #13 of 58 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean dishes prepared with the ingredients from our local farmers and food artisans. Enjoy traditional Mediterranean fare along with hand made pastas, thin crusted Skizzas (Gigi "pizzas"), and bountiful salads. Our ambiance is sophisticated, yet informal, and we provide options for family style dinning. Moderate prices, attentive service and consistently outstanding seasonal food encourage regular dining at Gigi Trattoria.
Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stopped here for lunch on the way to Omega and it was really delicious. All of the menu items are healthy, and they focus on using locally-grown produce. Worth a stop for the food....and definitely order the french fries!

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Loud bar can be fun, for dinner a bit distracting. Food hit or miss. Service just OK

1  Thank claudia29
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I'll first say I've eaten several times at Gigi over the past few years. It's been about 4-5 months since and changes are underway, unfortunately for us in the Hudson Valley for the worse. Out of 6-7 outings previously I'd say 2 times something wasn't right.. but it happens. This time it was across the board...

For the upscale setting they try to present it doesn't justify the price they charge for mediocre food. I've eaten many places around the world and know food, what you should get and what about it should cost for where you are.

Service - Seated promptly and politely.. after that out server was very indifferent and struggled between tables (maybe new? no excuses at the level they want to present themselves.. Food runners had no idea who had what... had to ask for more bottled water after server had already removed empty one,..chk was dump'd on the table,

Food - This is my real disappointment, this is regional food with local (or so they say)
ingredients. The food was bland.. period, We had 2 apps, 1 salad and three entrees
and they all lacked character. The Cod Fritters app were three dropped on a plate with Frisee.. no dipping sauce or dressing.. they were raw (all three) and not fully cooked... Both the salad and Antipsta.. was thrown together.. no design (hey we're talk $10 salad ok?) and little individual flavor between ingredients.. The entrees were bland.. we all agreed..

One note also, and while I make this about the food the following gave me insite on why it was under par (for the scale they are trying to do)..

Laura Pensiero happened to be on site, she came in and visited with a table of 10 (perhaps friends or someone 'special') talked for 5 mins then left... She never spoke to anyone else, asked how their dinner was, or if they were enjoying themselves..
This indifference and lack of attention to paying customers isn't what entertaining is about and restaurants are about being entertained..

Bottom line:
There are many good eateries in the Hudson Valley, I'm not sure what would bring me back to this eatery, once a customer leaves it's very hard to get them back in your doors
and I'm not sure the staff and ownership really is concerned about it.

2  Thank jamdmyers
Reviewed December 27, 2009

With Gigi's reputation being supported and amplified by the publication of "Hudson Valley Mediterranean", you would hope that the owner, chef and staff would be more mindful than ever to keep their standards high. Perhaps there are too many plates spinning - too many distractions.....My party of 6 arrived at 3pm when they were "switching" to the dinner menu - we were looking for lunch but got "stuck" with dinner prices. I found that explanation to be spurious...as though the waitstaff and kitchen could not coordinate to still provide lunch options even though the full lunch menu wasn't available...? (It's not about the $$ but the principle). I ordered the lasagne bolognese as I am on a search for the penultimate lasagne. The sauce was very acidic and very assertive - filled with woody stems of the herbs used to flavor it. It was an interesting sauce - but there was inadequate cheese and pasta to help offset the overwhelming tomato essence. Others ordered pasta as well as a scuzzi which was pronounced to be "bland" The general concensus was the food was good overall but not exceptional. The wait staff was aloof - we must have interrupted their afternoon. The table was not set when we were seated there. The wait person sort of "threw" the plates and flatware in our general direction, leaving us to position them in front of the individual diner. The table was large - about 60" round- and made of re-claimed wood - completely bare...and uninviting. I found the ambience to be minimal save for some local art on the walls.

There was no bread provided - nor did the server suggest that we order bread - perhaps there was none listed under the appetizer section. It was just a disappointment not to have something to nosh on while we waited for our entrees - whether gratis or charged for. I had been given the cookbook by my friend who is local. The commentary in the book is personal and friendly - I suppose I thought I would have the same experience at the restaurant - but no. I couldn't wait to leave.

1  Thank sailorvore
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Will not return. I felt like a sardine and the food didnt even meet Olive garden standards. BOOOOOOO

2  Thank Dinnerfool