“Very Historic, Beautiful”

Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn
Ranked #4 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I recently stayed overnight at the Beekman, and was pleasantly surprised, since I had read the reviews posted earlier on this establishment. Wether it has been updated and cleaned since the last review - I don't know. But now it is a beautiful historic Inn, worth the trip. We stayed in a large comfortable room with two twin beds on the second floor. All was tasteful, clean and roomy. We happened to stay during possibly the HOTTEST day of the summer (the temps reached 103) and the air conditioned lobby was the perfect hangout to chat and catch up with my friend who I had'nt seen in years. We walked around the beautiful village from the Inn (fabulous location), and then decided to dine at the Inn's restaurant - the Traphagen, mostly to avoid going back out into the heat. What a wonderful experience as we dined in the glassed atrium room, viewing the gorgeous garden outside. Many restaurants are nearby, the Inn was a perfect pick. FYI - It took about 3 hours to get there from Central New York.

3  Thank LyndaNY

Reviewed July 31, 2006

After a ten-hour drive, I pulled up to the Delamater Inn office to check in. I was shown to a ground-floor room just behind the one in which the office was located. The clerk then disappeared. I was not told where to park, but on my own located the guest parking lot separated from my room by a road, a fence, and the Delamater's large central lawn. No one offered to help me with my suitcases or the heavy boxes of photographs and family papers I'd brought with me on this trip. Some fellow guests offered to help, but I just couldn't bring myself to accept.

The room was large, but very modesty furnished, a little stuffy, but not horrible. A decanter of sherry and two glasses was laid out in a sitting area. (Good thing I'm not an alcoholic, or this might have posed a problem for me at that point!) The bathroom was nice, I must say, stark white and up-to-date. The little pullman kitchen was dark but clean, I think. In it was where I found the room's only closet, a shallow, musty affair which I really couldn't bring myself to hang my nice clothes in. I rigged up something in the main room instead. The window covering did not close all the way. I had to keep it closed with safety pins. Unbelievably, when they watered the lawn, my front door was in the sprinkler's line of fire. There was never anyone around to consult about this.

The second-worst aspect of my stay was that no maid service was provided until the third day, after I mentioned this at the office and asked, at the very least, for a fresh towel, which is all I got. One.

The third-worst aspect was the complimentary breakfast offered in the little enclosed porch a few steps from my front door. The orange juice was warm and of the "from concentrate" variety, served directly out of the carton. Coffee and tea was what you'd expect in a government office break room. Pastry was store-bought and stale, with little attempt to make it look appealing. I quickly learned to take a walk to an okay bakery a few blocks away for my breakfasts.

Okay, I won't keep you waiting any longer. The FIRST- worst part of this stay was the heating/air conditioning unit, located in the kitchen area about eight feet form the poster bed. It was so infernally noisy and the fan in it so powerful that it was really like trying to sleep in a wind tunnel, even after making all the obvious adjustments. It blew right on me and froze my ears. I had to use the extra ratty blanket I found in the closet and had to put an extra nightgown over my head while attempting to sleep. I simply couldn't believe it. I got so little sleep during my stay that every day was an increasingly weird sleepwalk. I got horribly lost in a series of rainstorms at night on my way home. (I believe my accumulated lack of sleep contributed to this unpleasant experience.)

At the posted checkout time, I had to scout around for a clerk and once more, was offered no assistance with my baggage. At least this time, I knew enough to park closer to my room.

This place isn't cheap. I would never spend that kind of money to stay there again. They might have nicer rooms than the one I got, but I imagine the service (or lack thereof) would have been about the same. If I need to stay in the area again, I will opt for one of the bed and breakfasts and see how that goes.

Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank Rosemary_VA
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Went here over a weekend this July. Do yourself a favor and don't stay at the Delameter. Rooms were very small and rundown . This place needs some serious renovation. The continental breakfast was horrid at best.
The whole place smelled like insecticide and I found out why. I had centipedes crawling around in my room.
Anyway , this place rots!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank plugugly
Reviewed June 25, 2006

Although this inn (Beekman Arms) is touted as the oldest operating inn in America, it is definitely nowhere near the nicest. The price of the inn on Friday night was $140 and on Saturday, it was $150; this is not including tax. Our total came out to about $340. I have paid this much at other inns/bed and breakfasts, and they were much nicer with better amenities. This inn says the rooms are decorated with antique furniture, but it looked more like fake antique furniture. When I walked into my room, I felt the humidity in the room and it was very stuffy in there. Turning on the air conditioner made it better, but the room became too cold even at the lowest setting. The cable television didn't work properly with the reception turning fuzzy after ten minutes of the television being on. The continential breakfast was paltry at best and unappetizing. The Delamater Inn, a block away, has much nicer rooms but will cost you a bit more because those rooms are suites. I know this review sounds horrible, but I just wrote all the downsides. The pros to staying here is that it is in the center of town, close to everything you need. The room is not bad, just not what I expected for the money. Also, the woman who was checking in people at the Delamater Inn had poison ivy, scratched her arm, and then proceeded to touch the papers and credit card of the person checking in!

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank ohgeez
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed here in the Spring of 2004 for the first time. We did not have a particularly great experience then, but we decided to try again, since the location of the hotel is great. On our first trip, we were not given the room we requested and ended up in a non-smoking room which reeked of smoke. It was so bad, we had to go out and buy an air freshner!

In any case, this time, we got the room we asked for (although some others we met complained that they did not). The room was fairly charming, although a bit run-down, and the mold in the bathroom was a real turn-off. Plus, although it did not smell like smoke, it was very musty and did not smell good at all. Once again, we went off to the CVS for an air freshner. Not a great way to start a vacation!

Overall, we found the staff to be unhelpful and not particuarly nice. On the several occasions that we asked for something, we were met with curt responses of "NO". One incident was absurd. We had no cell phone service in Rhinebeck, so we called the front desk to ask if they could cancel a dinner reservation we had made in town. The woman on the phone refused to make the call saying, "we are not that kind of a hotel". When I asked what that meant, she advised me to walk or drive there and cancel the reservation myself. Was she kidding? What kind of a hotel are they if they won't make a local call for a customer? The rates charged are NOT Motel 6, and I bet that at Motel 6 they would make the call for me! This is just one of several instances of how they were not accomodating at all. I will say that there were 2 very nice women at the reception desk at the Delemeter but unfortunately, they cannot make up for everyone else there.

This place is not worth going to. The rates are too high for what you get and the way you are treated. I would advise going to another spot in town, like the Olde Rhinebeck Inn, where I stayed earlier this year. It is well run, adorable and clean, with a friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2006

I recently came back from a Mothers Day getaway with my two sisters. We stayed at the Delamater portion of the Inn. The room was in the Gables Building.

The room was recently refurbished and was extremely roomy. The bedroom portion had two comfortable queen size beds, the living room had a pull out sofa and the bathroom was actually 3 rooms in one. It was very comfortable for 3 adult women. A bonus was the french doors that open out onto the glass enclosed porch.

Downside --the pull out sofa had no sheets. When we requested these items, it took a long time to get them and then we were told there were only twin sheets. The twin sheets did not fit. Why not just give us two flat sheets for a larger bed?

Also the glass porch was charming, but very warm even though it was not summer yet.

Biggest drawback was the noise from the room above us. I guess this is to be expected in an older "B&B" type setting. This was no reflection of the Inn itself, just rude guests.

I would definitely revisit the area as well as the Delamater House. As a matter of fact, I have already recommended it to other members of the family.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank len10
Reviewed February 7, 2006

As a frequent traveler, and a three times guest of this Inn in the past four months, do NOT stay here! It is nothing but a facade. There are virtually no guest services. All needs must be requested from the staff, usually more than once. The rooms are not clean and they are extremely noisy. It is difficult to sleep, especially in the morning when the housekeeping staff shows absoutely no consideration for the guests. The bed was also terrible, the toilet breaks regularly, and the phone didn't work. The (separate) Inn restaurant is mediocre, at best, and shows no understanding that it is the dining venue for the Inn. It is open to both the public and the guests. and there is no distinction between the two, nor services offered. But all of this pales in comparison to the Inn staff - they are cool, rude, incompetent, unprofessional, and seemingly totally lacking in any understanding of customer service. They are delusional in their superiority and preoccupied with the image of the place rather than the actual reality. They also run your credit card without your knowledge or permission before you check out! The Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn were recently purchased by a former owner of Motel 6's and fast food restaurants, and thus, it looks and is priced like a "Ye Old Inn," but the experience is that of a Motel 6.

• Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank Tidesfilm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
5 mi away
#1 of 8 in Kingston
Schwartz's Inn
Schwartz's Inn
#7 of 8 in Kingston

Been to Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn? Share your experiences!