“Gables Room was great”

Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2006

I recently came back from a Mothers Day getaway with my two sisters. We stayed at the Delamater portion of the Inn. The room was in the Gables Building.

The room was recently refurbished and was extremely roomy. The bedroom portion had two comfortable queen size beds, the living room had a pull out sofa and the bathroom was actually 3 rooms in one. It was very comfortable for 3 adult women. A bonus was the french doors that open out onto the glass enclosed porch.

Downside --the pull out sofa had no sheets. When we requested these items, it took a long time to get them and then we were told there were only twin sheets. The twin sheets did not fit. Why not just give us two flat sheets for a larger bed?

Also the glass porch was charming, but very warm even though it was not summer yet.

Biggest drawback was the noise from the room above us. I guess this is to be expected in an older "B&B" type setting. This was no reflection of the Inn itself, just rude guests.

I would definitely revisit the area as well as the Delamater House. As a matter of fact, I have already recommended it to other members of the family.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank len10
There are newer reviews for Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn

Reviewed February 7, 2006

As a frequent traveler, and a three times guest of this Inn in the past four months, do NOT stay here! It is nothing but a facade. There are virtually no guest services. All needs must be requested from the staff, usually more than once. The rooms are not clean and they are extremely noisy. It is difficult to sleep, especially in the morning when the housekeeping staff shows absoutely no consideration for the guests. The bed was also terrible, the toilet breaks regularly, and the phone didn't work. The (separate) Inn restaurant is mediocre, at best, and shows no understanding that it is the dining venue for the Inn. It is open to both the public and the guests. and there is no distinction between the two, nor services offered. But all of this pales in comparison to the Inn staff - they are cool, rude, incompetent, unprofessional, and seemingly totally lacking in any understanding of customer service. They are delusional in their superiority and preoccupied with the image of the place rather than the actual reality. They also run your credit card without your knowledge or permission before you check out! The Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn were recently purchased by a former owner of Motel 6's and fast food restaurants, and thus, it looks and is priced like a "Ye Old Inn," but the experience is that of a Motel 6.

• Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank Tidesfilm
Valley Cottage, NY
Reviewed October 16, 2005

If I knew after our stay here that there was TripAdvisor which could get the word out to others about our experience I would have published this long ago. We stayed here once and that was more than enough. We did not get the charming romantic room we specifically requested and were promised for our anniversary weekend at the Beekman with a working fireplace pictured on the brochure. Instead we were put into a non smoking room in the Dalameter which smelled of cigarettes in the carpeting, bedding and drapes. The bathrooms were less than clean and we had to request that someone come in to clean them before we would use them. The working fireplace.... you had to turn on the timer for it every 30 minutes.....lets see how that enhances your romantic evening. No one attended to any of our concerns or complaints. It was the longest weekend I ever spent. Every other room in town was booked for that weekend or we would have relocated in a NY minute. I couldnt wait to get into my nice clean home.

• Stayed: October 2000
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded December 21, 2005

We truly appreciate the feedback from our guest's.
This helps us to see were we need improvement.
Since November 2005 the Beekman/Delamater Inn has all non-smoking rooms. We are also constanly upgrading our rooms and making improvments.

Reviewed October 1, 2005

We stayed for a holiday weekend. Our room was one of the more expensive ($195 per day) but in a new building, very nicely decorated and large. The only drawback was lack of a view. Also couldn't figure out why a small refrigerator (very handy) was on the floor of the closet, making hanging clothes difficult.

Rhinebeck has been "discovered" since last time I was there, with several hip restaurants within walking distance. The restaurant in the inn was a bit staid but provided a good meal. Attractions in the area include the Rhinebeck Aerodrome (fantastic!) and the Dia:Beacon museum.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank Blondguy
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2005

My family stayed at the Beekman Arms/Delmater Inn for one evening in June. We stayed in the Stone House which was a newly refurbished part of the Delmater. The room was extremely clean and quite large (all 5 of us fit comfortably) Though the newer room did not have as much "charm" as the older part of the hotel, it met our needs quite well. We did not take advantage of the free continental breakfast but instead walked to a nearby diner..which had great food and even better small town atmosphere.

The best thing about this hotel was its location in the beautiful Hudson Valley. Rinebeck is a charming small town that is surrounded by both natural beauty and some wonderful homes from the Gilded Age. Certainly a place to visit if you are touring the State of New York.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 11, 2005

I was in the area for work and stayed at the Beekman Arms on a Monday night. I had meetings for work starting early Tuesday morning so I got in bed at 10:30 pm. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to sleep because around 10:30 pm a party started in the living room of the Beekman Arms. It turned out that most or all of the other guests that night were part of the same group and decided to have a party in the living room. The house is not at all sound proof so I got to listen to people yelling from the first floor up to the second floor to bring the beer down, playing card games, and generally having a party.

At 11:30 pm, I called the front desk (located in another building). The woman at the front desk said she “couldn’t leave her post” and she’d think about what she could do. At 1:30 am when the party was still going on and I was realizing I had to wake up for work in only a few hours, I called the front desk, only this time no one answered.

The next day there was someone new at the front desk and I explained what had happened. She was very unapologetic and said “it’s very difficult for us to control people’s behavior.” In addition, the buttons on my phone in the room that connect to “front desk” or “wake-up call” didn’t work, so I had to dial the front desk the two times I called to complain about the noise. These phone charges were on my bill. I did receive a 25% discount, and they agreed to take the phone charges off, but I would have much preferred a good night sleep or even a sincere apology.

Also, the continental breakfast was one of the worst I have had at a B&B. When I was there, it consisted only of pastries.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2005

Since we didn't expect a B&B but rather a country inn, we were very pleased with the Beekman. Apparently, the staff has taken a lesson from earlier comments because they were helpful, welcoming and cordial! Our room was huge! In addition to a very comfy kingsized bed, we had a desk, a full size sofa and arm chair and even a working fireplace. One of the nicest touches was a carafe of dry sherry and two glasses, complimentary, for us to enjoy as we dressed for dinner. We dined down the road at CIA (fabulous!) so I can't comment on the dining room and the comments about the meager and disappointing breakfast were right on target but overall, we enjoyed our weekend at the Beekman.

• Stayed: April 2005
14  Thank NJGIRL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Courtyard Kingston
#4 of 10 in Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn? Share your experiences!