“A Very Nice Weekend”

Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2005

We stayed for a holiday weekend. Our room was one of the more expensive ($195 per day) but in a new building, very nicely decorated and large. The only drawback was lack of a view. Also couldn't figure out why a small refrigerator (very handy) was on the floor of the closet, making hanging clothes difficult.

Rhinebeck has been "discovered" since last time I was there, with several hip restaurants within walking distance. The restaurant in the inn was a bit staid but provided a good meal. Attractions in the area include the Rhinebeck Aerodrome (fantastic!) and the Dia:Beacon museum.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank Blondguy
There are newer reviews for Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn

A TripAdvisor Member
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2005

My family stayed at the Beekman Arms/Delmater Inn for one evening in June. We stayed in the Stone House which was a newly refurbished part of the Delmater. The room was extremely clean and quite large (all 5 of us fit comfortably) Though the newer room did not have as much "charm" as the older part of the hotel, it met our needs quite well. We did not take advantage of the free continental breakfast but instead walked to a nearby diner..which had great food and even better small town atmosphere.

The best thing about this hotel was its location in the beautiful Hudson Valley. Rinebeck is a charming small town that is surrounded by both natural beauty and some wonderful homes from the Gilded Age. Certainly a place to visit if you are touring the State of New York.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 11, 2005

I was in the area for work and stayed at the Beekman Arms on a Monday night. I had meetings for work starting early Tuesday morning so I got in bed at 10:30 pm. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to sleep because around 10:30 pm a party started in the living room of the Beekman Arms. It turned out that most or all of the other guests that night were part of the same group and decided to have a party in the living room. The house is not at all sound proof so I got to listen to people yelling from the first floor up to the second floor to bring the beer down, playing card games, and generally having a party.

At 11:30 pm, I called the front desk (located in another building). The woman at the front desk said she “couldn’t leave her post” and she’d think about what she could do. At 1:30 am when the party was still going on and I was realizing I had to wake up for work in only a few hours, I called the front desk, only this time no one answered.

The next day there was someone new at the front desk and I explained what had happened. She was very unapologetic and said “it’s very difficult for us to control people’s behavior.” In addition, the buttons on my phone in the room that connect to “front desk” or “wake-up call” didn’t work, so I had to dial the front desk the two times I called to complain about the noise. These phone charges were on my bill. I did receive a 25% discount, and they agreed to take the phone charges off, but I would have much preferred a good night sleep or even a sincere apology.

Also, the continental breakfast was one of the worst I have had at a B&B. When I was there, it consisted only of pastries.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2005

Since we didn't expect a B&B but rather a country inn, we were very pleased with the Beekman. Apparently, the staff has taken a lesson from earlier comments because they were helpful, welcoming and cordial! Our room was huge! In addition to a very comfy kingsized bed, we had a desk, a full size sofa and arm chair and even a working fireplace. One of the nicest touches was a carafe of dry sherry and two glasses, complimentary, for us to enjoy as we dressed for dinner. We dined down the road at CIA (fabulous!) so I can't comment on the dining room and the comments about the meager and disappointing breakfast were right on target but overall, we enjoyed our weekend at the Beekman.

• Stayed: April 2005
14  Thank NJGIRL
Reviewed March 6, 2005

Here's what I got at the Beekman Arms "Firehouse" room for $140:

1. A cozy room located above a noisy hotel common area.
2. An apolgetic, yet obviously insincere, staff.
3. A shower that ran out of water after less than ten minutes. This was really aggravating when my wife and I were getting ready at 5:00 PM for a 6:00PM formal party! When we brought the matter to the attention of the hotel staff we were told that the room had a tiny 40 gallon water heater which it shared with the other room on the top floor of the Firehouse. What's even more riduliculous is that the other room has a two-person Jacuzzi that the water heater won't even fill! We were told there was no remedy other than to wait a half-hour for the heater to reheat the water.
4. A terrible continental breakfast. I've had better cold breakfasts at moderately-priced motels (LaQuinta, Holiday Inn, etc.) Fortunately, the Rhineback Cafe across the street offers a decent bagel and coffee.

The Beekman Arms looks really charming. But it is a COMPLETE waste of money.

• Stayed: March 2005
22  Thank tvlawyer
Reviewed February 15, 2005

10  Thank Y H
Reviewed August 23, 2004

12  Thank DideeP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Courtyard Kingston
#4 of 10 in Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn? Share your experiences!