“older isn't always better”

Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“older isn't always better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

First, let me say that writing a bad review of the Beekman Arms/Delamater House would be like writing a bad review of my children. Sure, they might do bad things every now and then, but am I going to say they are bad boys?
We've gone to the Beekman Arms -- and usually stayed in the Delmater House -- at least once a year for the past 20 years. When the aforementioned boys were children, it was a one night getaway while they stayed with their grandparents. Now, the boys have stayed there with their girlfriends.
Ahh. So time flies, and I am a sentimental fool. But I do have limits.
Our last stay was bad. It was really bad. It made me feel old to see that things had not been changed/improved/kept up in the 20 years that I have been staying there. All of the reviews talk about the absolutely crappy "continental breakfast" served at the Delamater. Yes, it is pathetic. So for pete's sake, fix it! This isn't brain surgery! And the deck is starting to list, and if you don't address it soon it is going to fall off! Fix it! And the room desperately needed attention. WE LOVE OLD, WE EMBRACE OLD, WE STAY HERE BECAUSE IT IS OLD, BUT FOR PETE'S SAKE: FIX IT UP!
I think I could have dealt with all of this, just for old times sake because as I said, I am a sentimental fool, but then there was the matter of the management. No one answered the phone when we needed someone at the front desk, and the staff in the "breakfast room" were downright snarky. FIX IT! Ambitious college students in need of money would provide better customer service! At least they might say "hello" when you walk in!
So will I go back? Yes, because I AM A SENTIMENTAL FOOL. But can I recommend it to you? Not right now. Tripadvisor doesn't let me check "maybe", so I am saying "no, I wouldn't recommend to a friend."

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank doctorkris3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Croton on Hudson, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

We held our wedding reception at the Beekman Arms this summer. Like all couples, we wanted everything to be perfect. A few weeks prior to our wedding we learned that the Clinton wedding was to be held in Rhinebeck the same weekend as ours. Suddenly it seemed as though our dream wedding weekend was to become a nightmare. That could not have been further from the truth. The staff at the Beekman Arms was wonderful. They reassured us and made special concessions for our guests, allowing us to have a very private reception, despite the fact that the media and onlookers were in full force outside. Everything that we had spent months planning turned out perfectly. The food, service, and facility were absolutely perfect. Many of our guests told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to. We completely agree and would not hesitate to recommend the Beekman Arms as a reception site.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montvale, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

The facility is lovely. We loved our room. It was spacious and very clean. The Continental breakfast is awful. If they did not have one it would be better. How hard is it to have mufins or croissonts instead of brown bananas and white bread. There was one hard boiled egg in the bowl. No fruit cut up and plain yogurt in a bowl. Yuch! We thought about eating dinner there but the breakfast so turned us off we figured the dinner could not be much better so we ate in restaurants in the area that were great. Would not call this place a bed and breakfast, maybe a bed and go have breakfast elsewhere--which we did and enjoyed very much.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank koach123
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Rooms are beautifully appointed with fireplace. Bathroom was long & narrow. However, upon our arrival, customer service at check in was less than welcoming. Ditto on checkout as well. We received no help with our luggage & some of us were staying on the 2nd floor. There is no elevator! The first night we ate at the tavern there on the property. Our server was very friendly! Food was delicious. I had the braised beef short ribs. But the portion sizes were way too large. Hotel property is located near some wonderful shops & restaurants which is very convenient. I was put off by the envelope that was left in our room suggesting we tip the hotel maid service. All said I am glad I went but would not want to return. The lack of friendly customer service was a turn off for all of us.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cchilton
Brooklyn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

Recently stayed here for a birthday celebration trip. Had a $199 room at the Delamater. Its a pretty campus from the outside, but inside the room was extremely unremarkable. Boxy and plain with no cozy feel. The fireplace didn't work. The shower was impossible to figure out and the staff was downright unfriendly. The woman checked us out without so much as a "how was your stay?", seemed more concerned with administrative duties. The continental breakfast was bland with Thomas's mini bagels and English muffins, some hardboiled eggs and yogurt. It was served in a pretty patio enclosed sunroom but they should play some classical music or something in the background. Not a welcoming stay, wouldn't return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

My fiance and I have traveled all over the world and i would have to say that this is one of our worst hotels we have stayed in thus far. Hotel looks great from the outside.. First, there was no one to help you with your luggage. Room looks ok when you enter. The worst comes when you are ready for bed. If this is the one of the oldest inns in America, the beds must be from that era as well! They were the worst. I felt like I slept on a wooden board last night. My fiance and i woke up in disgust this morning. I was looking forward to a nice night's sleep only to wake up to a sore neck and back from such an uncomfortable bed. Another annoyance is the early vacuuming of the rugs outside our door. At 8:15 am my fiance had to get out of bed, get dressed ,to go out to hall to ask the cleaning lady to refrain from her vacuuming that early in the morning.
The Staff is not very welcoming. Breakfast is minimal. i would highly recommend staying at another hotel. Its a shame that such a pretty hotel on the outside turned out to be such a disappointment on the inside.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

A horrid dump. A travesty of hospitality. If you are staying in rooms 41-44, then you are being robbed. They are in a dingy, malodorous shack behind the main building, with banged-up furniture and dirty curtains. It smells and feels like a wet tent. Any renovation should begin with dynamite. Shame on the hotel for not disclosing these shortcomings to patrons seeking to experience (and paying for) the inn's vaunted history.

Close your eyes at breakfast and you'll think you're at a 7-11. Processed, packaged things wrapped in plastic. Cross any of the nearby streets for better cafes.

Any competition, if it existed, would clean their clock. Rhinebeck deserves better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cheated-robbed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Rondout Inn
Rondout Inn
#3 of 8 in Kingston
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn? Share your experiences!