“Decent value”

Ranked #5 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Decent value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

I booked 4 rooms (for 8 guests) for the weekend of the NY Sheep and Wool Festival. Despite the general shabbiness, we found the hotel to be more than adequate. We had 3 rooms in the Germond house (each with a fireplace and a separate sitting room) and one room in the Courtyard (also with a fireplace). The weather was too warm to appreciate the fireplaces properly, but they were a lovely idea.

PROS: Location! I parked my car on Friday and didn't need it again until Sunday. Bathroom in the Courtyard room was newly renovated and lovely. Despite being right downtown, it was very quiet. Having a separate sitting room was a wonderful luxury. Price was not exorbitant. Complimentary sherry in each room.

CONS: Breakfast - totally inadequate, with terrible coffee and mean little squares of previously frozen Entemann's cake. I'd have preferred a $5 voucher for a local diner! The bathrooms in the Germond house were not great. The tubs had some mold issues (the room in the Courtyard did not have this problem). The furniture, carpets, wallpapers, etc were all quite shabby. Looks the rooms have not been renovated in at least 15 years. Front desk staff at the Delamater was just awful! One person acted drunk and another person was as slow to use the credit card machine as a Civil War-era farmer logging onto a computer for the first time. Check in and check out took an hour each!

Overall, though, I would rebook for next year.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Austin, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

This is not the experience one expects from staying in an "inn". Our room in the Delamater Inn was a huge disappointment, and the bathroom was barely acceptable.The photos on the website were a complete misrepresentation of the room we had. The breakfast is not as complete as one at a Fairfield Inn or a Hampton Inn, and after bus loads of tours raid the breakfast area, it was a disaster. The lobby of the inn was dirty, with a broken vacuum in the middle of the floor and debris scatter on the carpet, and the staff was rude and disrespectful. I would not recommend this inn to anyone for any reason. We had dinner one night in the restaurant at the Beekman Arms and it was mediocre at best.

• Stayed October 2007
3 Thank TexasTravellers51
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

I did a lot of research on this hotel. I knew there were very mixed reviews about the Beekman Arms and, to a lesser degree, the Delamater Inn. Of the two, I chose the Delamater.

I discovered that the rooms are clustered in separate buildings. Each set of rooms is different. I opted for the Germond House because I liked the idea of having a separate sitting area in the room as opposed to a common area for the group of rooms.

PROS: The location is great; it's right in the middle of Rhinebeck and an excellent starting point for touring the Hudson River Valley. The room rates were fine (especially compared to hotels in Manhattan). It should be noted that The Germond House was build circa 1866 so it's a bit worn. Nevertheless, the accomodations were above average. The room was good sized and the furnishings were very nice. There was a problem with the a/c during this unusually hot week but there were plenty of windows in the room.

CONS: The continential breakfast is nothing special. However, Pete's Famous Diner, on the main street, is a good alternative. (It's an old-fashioned diner with good-sized servings and resonable prices.) I also found the people at the front desk to be a bit unfriendly.

OVERALL: I recommend the Delamater but strongly suggest reading the website's room descriptions before making reservations.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — a/c not working
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shelley H
Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

We discovered the Beekman by chance when passing through Rhinebeck looking for a place to stay. From the outside, it cuts an impressive image of elegance and charm with its classic white historic building and beautifully manicured lawn on the central corner of Rhinebeck. The desk staff were helpful in letting us choose from three rooms on the third floor. The ground level common rooms are suitably impressive, and the upper halls are also well restored.

Unfortunately, the grand illusion ended with our room in the old building (which they say was completely renovated in 1995). It was small and stuffy, with average furnishings and bed. The AC is a window unit. The bathroom was okay, but nothing special. This is not a place where you will want to spend time in your room, but Rhinebeck itself is a pretty, tree-lined gem of a small town. The Beekman Arms desk staff recommended Mike's restaurant for a full breakfast, and it was a good recommendation that we enjoyed.

The Beekman Arms and Rhinebeck in general are pricey for what they offer. Our room cost $155 with tax, compared with $132 for our stay in the modern fully-equipped suites at the Kingston Courtyard Marriott across the river. If you are in the area and want space and comfort rather than historic illusion, we would recommend the Marriott which has the best bed we've ever slept in. Kingston also has a lovely historic downtown with several charming restaurants.

• Liked — Beautiful exterior and grounds in central Rhinebeck
  • Disliked — Small stuffy room and furnishings
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chessie3315
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2007

I am astounded at the marketing of this property versus its reality. The disparity is astounding. They present the property as quaint and with charm, when in fact it is run down, inhospitable, and untenable.

I booked a room for my daughter and me as we were attending a class at the nearby Culinary Institute of America. I requested hardwood floors in our room, noting an allergy concern.

We went to the office to check in where were met rather casually by the desk person on duty. We were then shown a room in Gables. I went to the office and was told to park a considerable distance from the building. The Dalamater Inn, as it turns out, is a collection of buildings spaced vastly apart. I parked near the building to unload our belongings but was unable to unlock the door.

As I was there with my child, I used a cell phone to call the hotel and request someone meet me at the front door to the building. I was not inclined to pack up our belongings, drive to the office, return to the accomodations, and unpack once again.

While I called the number for the Dalamater Inn per the brochure, I had reached the front desk of the sister property, The Beekman Arms. I was scolded by the person taking my call for inconveniencing her, as she could not help me. We waited 20 minutes, with our bags at the curb, until someone came to assist us.

The front desk person was to have given me two keys to the building (one for the building, the other for the room) and said ,"Someone took the other key." I responded that she should not have given me one key when I was to receive two keys and she said, "They change things here all the time." This was my first clue that much of what she had to say would not make sense and was an attempt to deflect rather than address problems and solve them.

We went into the room and were dismayed. The air was smelled of mold. Windows would not stay open. Two windows, one by the foot of the bed and labeled "Emergency Exit" had storm windows in them (rather than screens) and the panes of glass were cracked, ready to shatter. Paint was peeling everywhere.

We were shown a second room, in shameful disrepair. This room had wall-to-wall carpeting with cigarette burns and the air was again full of mold.

The third room we were shown was consistent with the other two. Tile in the bathroom was chipped and wallpaper was peeling. Lightbulbs did not work. The ceiling was peeling, stained with water marks, and appeared ready to collapse. The entire building was sad, tired, and neglected.

The punch line was breakfast. The front desk person promised, "Something really special. We have freshly baked muffins and delicious pastry, fresh fruit trays and more." Breakfast was an assortment of Styrofoam containers to hold stale cereal, reconstituted orange juice, a few brown bananas, and commercial, stale baked goods out of a grocery store box.

While trying to find a suitable room I frequently contacted the manager who was given to heavy sighs, frustration, and great concern for her inconvenience at having to address the concerns of a guest. She scolded me for not noting an allergy when making the reservations, then realized I had indeed done so, which only seemed to annoy her more. She was unable to professionally and producitvely meet the concerns of a guest. The front desk people made it clear they would prefer to be elsewhere.

And so would I. Had there been vacancies anywhere else I would have left immediately. Certainly, I won't return.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank atateka
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

This is a great historic, romantic hotel. I have stayed there on two seperate occasions in the annex or Delmater House. The rooms are large and well appointed, very comfortable with large bathrooms. There are sweet touches too like the complimentary sherry provided in every room.

The location is excellent, near a variety of restaraunts, shops, nightlife, and a cool movie theatre. The town is really cute and a short ride from the Amtrack station.

• Liked — Spacious Well Appointed Rooms
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

A pleasant stay in an area with terrific restaurants. Review your bill carefully at departure! My experience: the $150. deposit for one night, made with my reservation, was "overlooked" at checkout. Joanne, at the desk, explained that "they didn't list it properly".

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sharp dealing at front desk
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rudyho
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Rondout Inn
Rondout Inn
#3 of 8 in Kingston
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn? Share your experiences!