“Are you sure we weren't in Manhattan”
Review of Terrapin

Terrapin
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrapin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 57 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Livingston Street
Description: We are passionately committed to providing our guests with a delightfully unique dining experience. As a Hudson Valley dining destination, we strive to consistently provide you with the freshest, highest quality food; celebrating the robust local bounty. Whether a quiet dinner for two or large family gathering, our staff is dedicated to creating a personalized experience served in a warm, yet elegant environment. From kitchen to table, our holistic approach to the dining experience compels us to be uncompromising in the quality of our product.
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner there during our couple of night stay at the Beekman Arms. The food was delicious and service was so superb .... Highly recommended if you are in the area

There are newer reviews for Terrapin

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Went out for Saturday night dinner with friends. The Red Bistro side of Terrapin is less expensive, and more casual. It does not take reservations and is very popular, so as a party of 5, we ended up waiting for about 30 minutes to be seated. The menu offers a good range of meals and drinks. Our friends love the veggie burgers with lots of free toppings and a side salad while we had the duck and the salmon entrees which were very tastefully prepared. My salmon had a miso sauce and was served on a bed of chopped brussels sprouts. The flavors all worked very well together. though we skipped dessert we would have loved the chance to try the creme brulee. We highly recommend the food though our service was unremarkable and she forgot to put in our order for an appetizer. we will return to Terrapin next time for the more formal side!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went there on Jan 1st for a birthday celebration for my husband and New Years Day dinner. Our reservation was at 6pm and it is winter in the northeast.

Terrapin is unequipped to handle business in the wintertime. It's touristy spot for people who go "upstate" from NYCity and New Jersey, mainly during the summer. People are always spotted sitting outside enjoy summer days knoshing on their "farm to table" fare. We are local people who know the true meaning of farm to table, because that's what we eat on a daily basis.

What a disappointment Terrapin was. The place was FREEZING inside and their small space heater wasn't working...as if it would have done anything in this refurbed church with vaulted ceilings. Why we were not seated at a table on the upper rim of the restaurant, I don't know. We were seated right where the draft from the outdoors comes in the and floats across the room. Terrapin has provided a curtain, which does nothing to block this kind of cold air. It is between the foyer and the dining room. What a joke. I had boots on and a wool sweater and I was freezing. My husband and son's back's were to the curtain and they were chilled the entire time. We didn't stay for desert or coffee because we couldn't wait to get back in the heated car and go home.

Regarding food. Highly overrated. My husband had short ribs....I make them better at home. Have a great recipe. There was no braising liquid or sauce...really flavorless. I had the pork chop. it was ok. Nothing spectacular. Daughter had the Shredded Duck Bologese. She said it was mediocre. My son had the Filet Mignon. He was extremely hungry and we waited so long for bread to be delivered to the table (because one of the ovens was out!), I think he would have eaten anything and thought it was good at that point. They did forget his French Fries, but brought them when we reminded them. The lettuce in the salad was wilted and my husband's Crab Soup was a joke. Where's the crab?...we all hunted for it.

Getting back to the FREEZING cold diningroom Upon exiting I mentioned to the hostess how cold it was in there and she feebly apologized and said something about how they are going to put another curtain just inside the front door. Don't these people know that curtains don't keep out frigid cold air? How about a door? Seemingly it would be easy to install a door from the foyer to the diningroom. Our waitress was in earshot of my convo with the hostess and she apologized a number of time. It wasn't her fault and I told her that. No monetary adjustment was offered for our misery.

At the end of the day, Terrapin tries hard with their white table cloths and presentation of the steak knives and calling you "ladies and gentlemen", but they fall short in the quality of their food and obviously in their ambiance.

Freeze me out at these prices and I will NEVER be back.

1  Thank banffgirlNy
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We are a discriminating group and not easy to please. We were very impressed with the quality, presentation, interesting menu and wonderful flavors. Would definitely return.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

No doubt one of the best restaurants I have eaten in. The converted church building is artfully done, but the food is the attraction. Venison for one of us; pumpkin ravioli for another; salmon for the third and a braised lamb shank for the fourth. Too bad we could only handle two of the tasty desserts! A nice wine list complements the first class menu. Go there!