“enticing”

Calico Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 57 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Boutique restaurant with in house bakery. Dinner reservations accepted 5:15-8pm Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Open other hours for the pastry shop.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

very warm and friendly. our waiter was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions about what we asked him on the menu.The food was delicious and hot. ( food not being hot when it should is a deal breaker for me). the restaurant is very cute and cozy. Calico is a must stop, you'll
want to go back each time you visit the area.

There are newer reviews for Calico Restaurant

Reviewed August 2, 2014

What do you do in Hudson Valley at dinner time when you have already experienced the Culinary Institute of America? I was intent on a second visit to the CIA but my friend waved me off .."the CIA worships micro-food and visual appeal." I am so glad that he talked me into venturing out to explore. I found the Calico Restaurant website and reviews on TripAdvisor. All research revealed stellar reviews and they are oh-so-true. I knew I had made the right decision when a local couple entered steps behind us to make reservations for the following evening. Awesome shrimp and scallops with a broth colored with seasonings and herbs. Worthy of extra bread for soaking! Delicious cold salmon plate with capers and creme fraiche. A rib eye steak that was buttery. A light pureed portobello mushroom soup that was a dairy-free delight. Ah..and dessert. We discovered the incredible lightness of an almond cake with pears. We were graciously served by wait-staff and were pleased to meet pastry chef, Leslie. They had a nice selection of wines. We were strategizing for our return visit before dinner ended!

1  Thank Grace E
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Hands down, one of the best meals I have had! We were promptly greeted with a smile from one of the owners, Leslie. The rolls arrive, piping hot, crusty, moist, and with a delicious tang. You'll have to ask her the secret, I won't divulge it. We shared a special mussel appetizer and crab cakes, lovely. The entrees for the girls were the rib eye steak special, cooked to perfection with a proper crust and sear, bathed in garlic butter. They were tender, and flavorful, perfectly seasoned. My entree was the duck with the dried cranberries, and cherries in a barola reduction. The duck's skin was crisped to perfection, rendering the fat out completely, yielding to the still moist, melt in your mouth meat. The sauce was to die for, the dried fruits reconstituted and plumped added just the right amount of sweet to balance out the wine in the sauce and cut the richness of the duck. The meals were served with fresh, crisp, sauteed haricot vert and a potato galette. The meal stayed hot as we lingered over dinner because the plates were preheated. Touches like this throughout the night, silverware being cleared and replaced before the next course, crumbing the table etc, led to what was a flawless meal served flawlessly by our waiter Anthony. Combine the quality of the food with his impeccable service and this is truly what dining out was always supposed to be!! Our first of many memorable meals to come!!

1  Thank Chefspalate
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is a regular stop of ours and the friends we have brought all agree. Fresh, delicious, consistent food. Friendly atmosphere with local art on the walls. Server is quite experienced and the charming owner is there to greet you and answer any dessert questions, she is the baker! The food is well prepared and piping hot. Pork tenderloin over black beans is a good one, but the Duck. Oh the Duck, a must try. Veg options and lots of Seafood. Eventually I will try them all! Signature "Calico" dessert is a favorite, caramel & chocolate.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Go there. Get an individual sized cake or tart. Savor every bite, and then realize you've finished it *just* before you hit the point where eating a rich dessert turns from indulgence to too-full regrets (you know what I'm talking about: "oh...it was so delicious I had to finish it...but now I feel sick!"). Your taste buds will thank you.

They do gift certificates, if you're wondering what to get a local for that special occasion (I get them for my grandmother all the time!).

The only downer about the place is the stairs. I don't know if they've got a second entrance that's wheelchair accessible, but the front entry has 3 or 4 pretty steep stairs that are hard for older folks or people with balance issues. It's an old building, so what can you do, but it's an obstacle to be aware of.

1  Thank katiegumbo