“Intimate, romantic, delicious. Go.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Tasting Room At Gendron Catering
Ranked #10 of 55 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A small intimate restaurant teasing out the charms of local ingredients!
Pound Ridge, New York
“Intimate, romantic, delicious. Go.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I know it’s a tired cliché, but I seriously debated whether to write this review, as this place really IS the proverbial hidden gem that I wanted to keep close to the vest.

I’ve been dining at the Tasting Room for two years now, the first time on December 28, 2013, the second January 17, 2014. Both experiences were just about perfect. And when I say that, I’m not only talking about the food, I’m referring to the entire experience. As is the case with any restaurant, that encompasses the food, the vibe, the ambience, the room, location, etc.

Class of ’81 Culinary Institute of America Chef Daniel’s Tasting Room is an intimate ten-seat restaurant tucked away in a quiet residential neighborhood in Rhinebeck.

A blessedly tranquil spot for a relaxing dinner. No hustle. No bustle. No crowds. No rush. Easy parking.

I’ve only been here twice, but in some 30 years of dining out I can easily say that the Tasting Room is about as good as it gets.

Chef Daniel sets the tone, working his magic in the open kitchen, while guests sit at candlelit tables sipping their BYOB wine in a calm and relaxed environment where you can actually hear what the person sitting across from you is saying.

The food is exquisite. Daniel runs a successful catering business and his Tasting Room is the place where lucky diners get to experience approximately three choice appetizers, entrees and deserts nightly.

On our first outing, we began with the Octopus and Poached Fennel with Fig Glaze appetizer and Baked Clams with Lobster Butter, both outstanding. A Bell & Evans chicken dish and Roasted Monk Fish Saffron with Fennel Broth Risotto followed these. Both were fabulous. Finally, we enjoyed an insanely good Chai Crème Brulee with the crunchiest of sugar crusts.

By our second visit, we were confident enough to leave the decisions to our host, who came through with flying colors, serving an outrageous lobster bisque with vanilla bean and a thimble full of dry sherry. A divine Goat Cheese and Vidalia Onion Tart and a sublime Baked Top Neck Clams with Lobster Butter that just “popped” followed this. Sometimes, lobster bisque is more “bisque” than lobster. Not this one. Lobsterlicious!

Our main course was a to-die-for Osso Buco with Potato, Celery Root Puree and Ginger Carrots for two. For dessert, we loved the Lemon Curd and Zinfandel Poached Pear Tart and Chocolate Grand Marnier Souffle.

By the time we were done with each and every one of these dishes, we could see our satisfied reflections in the plates.

Again, any fine dining experience isn’t just about the food. I would describe the ambience as spa-like, very Zen. I don’t even feel like I’m in a restaurant at the tasting room, more like I’ve been invited over for dinner. The Tasting Room is clearly a labor of love; Daniel clearly loves what he is doing.

I also want to take a moment to give Daniel props for not hitting any of my restaurant pet-peeve buttons: not once did he approach the table (cue “Jaws” theme please) with the dreaded fresh pepper device, so we didn’t have to suffer the absurd torment of the “would you like some fresh pepper” comedy routine.

Everything is served at the right time, the right pace and the right temperature. Portions are perfect, neither nano-sized, nor mega-sized. Both times we left feeling neither the need to order a pizza, nor to audition for the next season of “Escape From Obesity,” (Discovery Health.)

I even prefer the BYOB policy so I don’t have to waste 20 minutes perusing an unfamiliar wine list.

To say the prices are reasonable would be an understatement. I’ve had more than my share of dinners that were twice the price and half as good.

On our initial and return visits, the Tasting Room was about an hour’s drive from our hotel. It was well worth the ride. Any issues or downsides I can come up with? None.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank DanaTeton

New York New York
“Napa? Provence? Rhinebeck!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Dinner at The Tasting Room the other night reminded me of one of those places out in the countryside in France that you stumble onto just when you can't drive another mile. You know the place-it's small and it's someone's actual home. With food that's amazing, and you can't believe your luck for finding it. Well, you can find it again, right here in Rhinebeck. The most tender octopus, ever, as a starter. An insane chocolate souffle. And I had the chicken. I NEVER order chicken. Why would I? It is always so boring, so "go-to dish at home". Just so, so-so! Well, not here. Amazing, juicy, plump and perfectly roasted. The lemon actually added a mysterious edge to the dish, not an expected one. Bring your own wine, and count on a comfy, warm evening. Kind of like spending the night at your cool-cousin-who-went-to-the-Culinary-Institute's house.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank MadameO
“Came across this by chance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

The tasting room is the store front of a delicious catering company. While heading to tour the northern dutchess hospital my wife and I stopped in after seeing the sign from the street. The only ones there for dinner we received excellent service from Chef Daniel who asked that we "blog this spot out". The food was great but the fresh mint in the iced tea a little overbearing. The steak was cooked to perfection and the desert was also excellent. He was also kind enough to give a sampler plate of desert to my wife who was undecided. Glad that trip advisor has finally posted this eatery after they refused my first review. Will be back to eat here again, looked busy the other night.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NyRoach
Hudson NY
“I'm planning my next meal here already...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

A bunch of girlfriends went to The Tasting Room and Chef Daniel was a wonderful host first off...we felt as though we were at home. Next was the outstanding quality of the meal we had! Everything was cooked to perfection in each of our three courses. We know the chef from his amazing catering ability with our clients and now are very excited to have the option to join him more frequently for a delicious meal prepared just for us. I'm already in discussion on a special occasion meal for another group of family. And a side note...you don't have to scurry around to find a parking space like you do with all the other restaurants in Rhinebeck.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank KAC69
North Carolina
“A delightful surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a special meal at the Tasting Room. The food was wonderful - both the salmon and the skirt steak were exceptional. We remembered to bring our own wine which paired excellently with the meals. This is an unusual and a don't-miss experience. P and C

• Visited November 2013