“Good locations but poor amenities and service”

Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The location of the hotel is very good, it is off the main roads but close enough to town. Here are the negatives. We were quoted one price on the phone, but ended up paying $40 more for no reason whatsoever. The breakfast was average at best - the only choice you had was eggs and even they were not that good. The tablecloth was so dirty and stained as if it had not been washed the entire season. The rooms were very tightly packed and there was absolutely no privacy, there was always someone outside of our room. The living room, which is normally a common area for guests at a B&B, was completely off-limits both afternoons we were there. That does not make guests feel really welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rvk_80
There are newer reviews for Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed October 8, 2009

A last-minute misunderstanding with a more expensive competitor catapulted us unannounced into the Bitter Sweet at about 5pm with 3 tired and hungry toddlers. Edith not only opened her doors to us, she improvised some toddler beds with the materials she had on hand and put up with 3 messy babies at breakfast the next morning. If this place had been $300/night my review would probably be negative, but for the extremely reasonable rate we paid for a downstairs room, it was perfect for our needs that day.

Was it a bit fusty and cluttered, run by a woman somewhat set in her ways? Sure. But there'd been no hype and we had no expectations; for the price and location it sure beat staying in town and paying double for comparable fustiness and clutter.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My stay at the Bittersweet B&B was wonderful. Edith, the B&B caretaker was very helpful, polite and able to assist with all my needs. Her full country breakfast was outstanding and amazing (from the freshly brewed coffee to the incredible breakfast breads). One morning I had to start breakfast very early for a plein air art trip in Hudson, NY, and she did not hesitate to accommodate me.

The bedding was extremely soft and the room was very clean. The bathroom was comfortable; the shower had ample room and great water flow.

I cannot say anything negative except some of the wall paper in the bathroom needs tacking down.

BTY, someone wrote about smelling smoke in their room and not sure where that came from but I never experienced this. Smoking or candle lighting is not allowed in her B&B which we all are thankful for.

Thank You Edith.

1  Thank LimeF61
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This is my second review. My wife and I just returned from a 6-day stay. We come up here two or three times a year and have been coming up here for more than a decade. Let me say this: the grounds and the flower gardens have never looked lovelier, the rooms are as sunny and spacious as ever, the breakfasts are just as delicious as they have ever been, and the owner, Edith, is just as friendly and gregarious, more maybe, than she has ever been. In other words, we have enjoyed our stay just as much and probably more than any we had up here before. And listen carefully, anybody who is thinking up staying up here: THERE HAS BEEN A NO-SMOKING POLICY UP HERE FOR 25 YEARS! There is no way, this house can possibly, or has ever, smelled like cigarette smoke! The house does not smell from mold! It is not dirty! This is ridiculous -- somebody is doing Edith a bad turn! This old house is located on 145 acres of farmland, pastures, and woods -- which you can see from your windows. We always take the room which has three views -- we can see the little pond, the pasture across the street, and down Wurtemburg road. We recommend this room. Also: there is plenty of hot water, plenty of towels. Edith will cook you, to order, whatever you want for breakfast (within reason), including fresh fruit, waffles, all sorts of egg dishes, oat meal, etc. -- just ask. Sometimes she bakes -- we had a blueberry cake for breakfast this morning. In other words, we recommend this place. Try it.

• Stayed: August 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 10, 2009

If I'd only read these few negative reviews I'd have missed this perfect gem. Edith is a remarkable woman, the B&B is breathtaking and the rooms are beautiful. The gardens are restive. I am here for 14 days and will return for 10 in September. When you find something as wonderful as this property... why look any farther? A bug??? 150 acres... a few little bugs or flies? I havn't found one inside yet. There are keys for each room and of course the front door is open! The only odors are from the sumptuous flowers and deep dark coffee. I have a serious allergy to cigarettes so I'd know. NOT HERE !!! Some people just can't be pleased... DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!! Come to the Bittersweet and know what peace really looks and feels like.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The owner (Edith) was exceptionally kind and attentive. She would be a wonderful Grandmother! The B & B (old house) stuffed full of antiques, unfortunately if you are non-smoker you are in trouble. The whole house down to the sheets smell of cigarettes and very thin walls and can at time hear your neighbors. The house is clean enough....but could stand some renovations. However, I was served piping hot coffee with an offer for breakfast with her smiling face. It was hard to stay irritated. If I wasn't so sensitive to cigarettes are would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I attended a workshop at the Omega Institute and the B&Bs recommended by the Institute were already filled. Someone directed me to BitterSweet since this was the only thing available, but I was concerned since it was not on the recommended list of Omega. I can see why. I found it unclean and the TV did not work. When I asked the owner about this she seemed disgusted saying that she has to get up early in the am and wanted to go to sleep early in the evening which is when I asked for help with the TV. Does she realize that this is her responsibility?? My biggest concern was that I never had keys for entering because she does not lock the house. Interestingly, she locks her wing of the B&B but does not lock the area of the house where the guests are. I am certain that Rhinebeck has little crime, but as a single woman traveling alone, I did not feel safe in a place that was open 24 hours of the day. I think it is time for the owner, Edith, to retire. She obviously is irritated that she has to run a B&B. I would rather camp at Omega then stay in this B&B again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Atlanta_GeorgiaRosie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kingston-Ulster

Been to Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!