“Would not stay again”

Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I attended a workshop at the Omega Institute and the B&Bs recommended by the Institute were already filled. Someone directed me to BitterSweet since this was the only thing available, but I was concerned since it was not on the recommended list of Omega. I can see why. I found it unclean and the TV did not work. When I asked the owner about this she seemed disgusted saying that she has to get up early in the am and wanted to go to sleep early in the evening which is when I asked for help with the TV. Does she realize that this is her responsibility?? My biggest concern was that I never had keys for entering because she does not lock the house. Interestingly, she locks her wing of the B&B but does not lock the area of the house where the guests are. I am certain that Rhinebeck has little crime, but as a single woman traveling alone, I did not feel safe in a place that was open 24 hours of the day. I think it is time for the owner, Edith, to retire. She obviously is irritated that she has to run a B&B. I would rather camp at Omega then stay in this B&B again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Atlanta_GeorgiaRosie

Reviewed November 16, 2007

I think reviews of this kind are very advantageous to a discerning traveler. Reality needs addressing. I don't consider it "gossip" as one reviewer said. So after reading several past guests' reviews, I'm not at all surprised by some of the negatives that have been said already about this B&B. The room we had downstairs was VERY moldy-smelling and the pull-out bed for an additional person was so terrible that we decided to stay only 2 of the 3 nights we originally scheduled. Now we are still trying to make the monetary adjustments for this change, for which she charged $30 too much, even after she upped the price for 2 nights vs. three. On the positive side, she IS a good cook and breakfasts were well done. The place DOES have potential, but will take a lot of work.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank ProntoEasternUS
Reviewed July 6, 2007

Ok, but there were a few problems.

The proprietor, Edith is very sweet and interesting. I had a bit of a problem with the billing which I found troubling after reading that it apparently has happened before. We were quoted about $115 and were charged about $135.

The propietor was not there when we tried to check in at 3pm, but the yard was so relaxing it was not a problem to wait and she offered us each a glass of wine for the inconvenience.

The room was large and clean enough, but the bed was very hard.

Breakfast was good, but dishes were dirty for some reason and she replaced them for us before eating.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynd8
Reviewed November 24, 2006

A friendly welcome on a very cold, winters night.
I was the only guest and was treated like family! The fire was cosy and the glass of wine hit the spot.
I got what I paid for in a clean room. Breakfast was plentiful.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank pfsboss
A TripAdvisor Member
Clinton Corners, NY
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We stayed in the Bitter Sweet for two full months in the downstairs room that a previous "rater" called "moldy." As a cancer and chemo therapy survivor, with a reduced immune system, let me say that I had no allergic reactions to what had provem to be an absolutely delightful room plus sitting room. My wife and I stayed for two months while renovations to our house were in progress. We too have been world travellers, having stayed in B & Bs throughout Ireland, Canada and Western Europe. We have lived for a month or several months at a time in rented accomodations in Mexico and Spain. I am 76 and my wife 13 years younger. EVERY DAY IN BITTER SWEET WAS A JOY. It was welcoming to be in a wonderful 18th century farm house. Every nook and cranny sparkles with a sense of history befitting the town of Rhinebeck. The four poster canopied bed; the wonderful aesthetics; the lovely breakfasts; the exchanges of warmth among the many guests. Edith Thomas, the innkeeper and Aralia, the housekeeper, were the most delightful hostesses you could possibly imagine. Edith's English garden; the welcoming country porch; the tasteful and well-kept rooms; all made for a sense of feeling that we were in the best part of a British novel. We highly recommend our friends and traveling strangers to this great country B&B. And have no fears of allergies! Sometimes people are on the "bitter" side when they could justifiably be "sweet." Dr. E. Mark Stern and Ms. Virginia F. Stern (--). Please don't hesitate to call us to discuss your proposed stay at Bitter Sweet.

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Both my Wife and I recently heard about this "gossip column" called Trip Advisor LLC. I emphasize the characterization of this site as a "Gossip Column" because they do not "police" the Who, What, When and more importantly, the Why's as to what people will write on this site. Any person with an "angst" of any kind can virtually write anything they want - and it doesn't necessarily have to be the truth, or demonstrate any sound reasoning, or good judgement whatsoever. That is the unfortunate failings of this particular site.

Specifically speaking, I am referring to some of the posts that I've read regarding the BitterSweet B&B located in beautiful and scenic Rhinebeck, New York. I don't know these people, but all I can say is, they were obviously having a very bad hair day when they posted the untruths and nonsense regarding the BitterSweet B&B in Rhinebeck, New York. I suppose one does look at life as the glass being either half full, or half empty.

Anyway, both my Wife and I discovered the BitterSweet B&B some 14 years ago to this day. And although we have visited other places in the area at least once, we always return to the BiterSweet B&B - and have been doing so time and time again for the past 14 years.

So, the question becomes, why do we continue to return to the BitterSweet B&B located in Rhinebeck, New York year in and year out?? The answer is as follows: If you are truly looking for a very pleasant and beautiful Hudson Valley setting where the air is crisp and clean, where the surroundings and vistas are of rolling hills as far as the eye can see, and if you are looking for peace and tranquility in a beautifully restored Hudson Valley farm house with all the amenities of yesteryear, with a full breakfast that is served every morning (when the "other" places only serve a half breakfast - and that's if you are lucky), then you have come to the right place. And I can honestly state that once you stay at the Bittersweet B&B; you will find a way to return again and again.

The Proprietor is a very warm and friendly lady who truly makes you feel that you are either at home, or will make you feel that you have arrived at your second home. She is truly the best, and thoroughly enjoys pleasing her customers and seeing to their every creature comfort.

The Home is very well appointed and possesses a charming quality that is truly enchanting. The comments I read about staircases being narrow gave us a big laugh. I suppose that person never would have survived in a home built in the 18th century. Again, the glass half full/half empty syndrom. Also, the ground level downstairs room(s) are the favorite of both my Wife and myself. This talk of mold, and carpets being wet is ludicrous. We never witnessed this type of ambiance at the BitterSweet B&B during any of the 40+ times we stayed there. I can categorically confirm that if you find yourself in need of a place to stay while in the Rhinebeck area, then run, don't walk to the BitterSweet B&B. Because if you walk, you just may find that they are booked solid. So definitiely make reservations in advance - especially during holidays.

One final closing comment. My Wife and I tried to make reservations in our favorite downstairs room with a private entrance (one of many at the BitterSweet) over the Memorial Day weekend only to find that a couple from Manhattan had booked "our room" for 2 months. Oh well, we ended up staying in one of the many other cozy rooms that make up our all time favorite Bed & Breakfast - The Bittersweet B&B.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Rarein2go
A TripAdvisor Member
new york new york
Reviewed April 25, 2006

The principal problem with the Bittersweet is the proprietor. We reserved several rooms for family members and members of the wedding party in conjunction with our daughter's wedding in September 05. On making the reservation almost a whole year ahead of time the owner required a 50% deposit which seemed excessive but we went along with it because the Inn was geographically very convenient. I would agree with the comments about the dustiness and fustiness of the downstairs rooms but we would have overlooked all of that had it not been for the behavior of the owner.
She was intrusive and unpleasant to deal with - which wouldn't have mattered so much but that she was also ubiquitous, impossible to avoid. She was also distinctly slippery over money matters. Instead of charging our guests the balance of 50% on the rooms she demanded the full amount - in cash (otherwise she would charge more than the stated room rate). And not when they were leaving but upon arrival. That meant that in the midst of everything else involving the wedding and its aftermath I had to go and retrieve the deposit from her and then enter into complicated transactions with each of our guests (the rooms all had different charges) so as to make them whole. She still leaves a bad taste from what should have been a very happy time - everything else about the wedding went well.

• Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast
Old Stone Farm
Old Stone Farm
#8 of 15 in Rhinebeck

Been to Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!