“Not impressed.”
Review of Haven Spa

Haven Spa
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My initial observation upon arrival was that the front steps were not well cleared of snow for clients (it was midday and it has stopped snowing hours earlier.) This may seem unimportant however it was my first impression of this spa and it set the tone. I was greeted immediately and taken up to the changing area and relaxation lounge. The lounge area is very small - the size of a small bedroom in a house and felt a little tight, especially as other clients started coming in. The furniture could probably stand updating and looked a bit worn. My spa service (facial) started on time and ended on time so no complaints there. The "therapist" was friendly and overall the facial was okay. I have had better facials elsewhere - I would not rave to friends about it as I have about other spas. The treatment room was small and right next to the lounge area, and I could hear people talking as I was trying to relax during my facial. I found it very distracting and it detracted from my experience. I would suggest some type of soundproofing to provide the atmosphere that clients are looking for when paying good money for a spa service. I am rating it as poor rather than as average/adequate because after my facial, the spa technician covered my freshly steamed, cleaned, and moisturized face in mineral foundation powder without asking me first whether I wanted this - I will also add that I had gone to great lengths to explain that my skin was extremely sensitive and that I NEVER EVER EVER wore any type of makeup on my skin. EVER. After she had proceeded to cover most of my face I asked what is was that she was applying and she explained. Too late, as I was already covered in it and terribly disappointed that I would have to go home and remove all the moisturizers and other treatments that I had just paid for. Too bad as it ruined the entire experience for me. I can't help but wonder if they do this so you walk out of the spa with a more polished look. I have never had this done anywhere else that I have had facials - I always walk out with a dewey, moisturized face - not covered in powder. Yuk. The overall experience, for me, was sub par.

5  Thank beachlovinmom001
HavenSpa, General Manager at Haven Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

We take our clients’ reviews very seriously and would like to address some of your concerns. Haven is a boutique spa designed within an early 19th century colonial revival. In designing Haven back in 2001, we went to great lengths to preserve the architectural integrity of this wonderful building and the nurturing aspect of the house, while at the same time trying to create a space of peace and relaxation for our clients.
The majority of our treatment rooms are much bigger than what you’ll find in the average Manhattan spa. Though our relaxation room is spacious, we continually try to re-invent the space in order to accommodate all of our guests' needs. We are actually in the process of addressing your seating concerns and are looking forward to introducing a new design this Spring.
Many of our rooms are shrouded in heavy curtains to minimize the noise level. We also have relaxing music playing throughout the spa and treatment rooms to create a soothing and peaceful environment. We do our best to keep the noise to a minimum and encourage all of our clients to use a spa voice upon entering our space. Unfortunately, on occasion and much beyond our control, we do have clients who visit us that aren’t always as considerate of others as we’d like them to be. We have made our entire staff aware of your concerns regarding this issue.
We try to keep our services moderately priced as we realize we are not a resort spa and do not have the amenities of those larger facilities to offer our clients. But with our spa and with each service, we try to customize the service to suit the specific needs of every client. We pride ourselves on building close relationship with our clients and continually strive to make a connection with every new client that comes through our doors.
When you booked your appointment, you spoke directly with the director and she specifically booked you with our lead esthetician, as she felt she would be best suited to your specific needs. The therapist recalled being very clear about informing you of the mineral make-up before she applied it. As you mentioned you were heading to an event that evening, indeed, the therapist wanted to give you a polished look.
Since we always like to hear about our clients' experiences from the clients personally -- as that's the best way for us to learn and improve -- we've made every effort to try to reconnect with you. We hope you'll consider contacting us directly so we can discuss your issues and concerns in further detail. And we hope you'll give Haven Spa another chance. We truly value your business.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"technology"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Not pretentious, lovely decor, reasonable prices. makes you feel very welome. All therapist remember your preferences and willor won't speak - depending on my mood, sometimes i like the quiet- but they will explain every thing they are doing and why, should you request.

3  Thank Blackiefazz
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I am not one to complain or write reviews, but my experience here was so awful I couldn't let it slip by without mention. I bought a massage for myself and a friend. My friend said her massage was pleasant, but I had a much different experience. My male massage therapist was distracted. He appeared to have no real technique and it felt as though he would forget what he was doing while in mid act. While massaging my left foot he would suddenly stop, walk around the table, slather oil on my forehead (note: he didn't massage my forehead - he just slathered oil on it. In fact, he applied so much oil to my head and face that my girlfriend thought I took a shower because my hair was slicked with oil when we left.), and then forget to massage my right foot. He left entire parts of my back untouched. He was chatty, asking personal questions throughout the hour. He was apparently a "deep tissue" massage therapist, but he barely applied pressure. When I requested a bit more pressure he became defensive - claiming his knowledge of proper technique - rather than just being professional and polite by obliging me. At least 15 minutes of my hour massage he wasn't even touching me. He was too busy walking about the room tinkering with things. The last 5 minutes of the massage he held my forehead with one hand and held my belly with the other (strange or is that just me?) and coached me on how to relax and let go. Mid way though this "relaxation" course his cell phone began ringing FULL VOLUME. And he spend the next few minutes fussing with his cell, checking his texts, before he left.

The only sensation I felt when leaving Haven Spa was a lighter wallet. The front desk staff was lovely, but they really need to vet their staff. Steer clear of their "deep tissue" male massage therapist from Woodstock.

17  Thank dooderbean
HavenSpa, Director of Sales at Haven Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Here at Haven, we welcome customer feedback and encourage our clients to inform us if we don't meet their expectations. We understand that massage is a very personal experience and that each of our massage therapists brings a unique approach to each session that may not suit every individual's needs. If for any reason you were unhappy, we would kindly ask that you reach out to management as soon as possible to discuss the issues so we can address any concerns, make another massage therapist recommendation to better suit your needs, and do everything we can to make sure your next Haven experience is a wholly positive one.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

I have been going to Haven Spa in Rhinebeck for years. The skill level and customer service is wonderful, as well as the cleanliness factor. I go there for pedicures because they use immaculately clean individual foot bowls, rather than jet spas, which I do not believe to be sanitary. All of the spa treatment staff are professional and it is a wonderful, calming experience. I have been to spas all over the country and Haven Spa is a warm and welcoming, and I always feel comfortable. We are lucky to have such a first class spa in Rhinebeck.