“Can't wait to go back!”
Review of Omega Institute

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Omega Institute
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rhinebeck
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I went for a R and R package to Omega for four days last month. Most R & R packages are 3 or 5 days- but the people at reservations were flexible. One of the things that stands out about Omega is the staff who are very dedicated and friendly. Everybody there is friendly, helpful, and down to earth.

We stayed in a cabin. It was comfortable but small. Don't go expecting world class resort quality rooms. If you go thinking . . .elevated camping you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're picky you may want to bring your own pillow. You should also bring a towel for the beach, a flashlight (it's very dark at night), soap and, bug spray.

The vegetarian food was fantastic. In truth; some meals were better than others. They do have an extensive salad bar and choices of things to eat. I especially enjoyed the gazpacho and chickpea salad. I was not impressed with the pizza or tacos- but where I live there are many great restaurants.

I truly enjoyed the classes- some of the teachers seemed to be visiting for the week- like the tai chi, yoga, and meditation teachers. Others were staff members. It was a great sampling of what Omega has to offer. My husband and I felt so relaxed and renewed afterwards. If you are on the fence about going- you should go. Ok- they don't have 400 thread count sheets. It doesn't matter- you will get so much more out of going there than doing a "normal" vacation. It really was inspiring to us. On other vacations I have come back with dirty laundry and a hang over, but with this trip I really felt terrific and I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 91Jennifer

Reviewed July 20, 2010

The reservations is incompetent, and the assistant director, Holly is not very customer service friendly, and apparently after 11 years does not know how to treat customers with dignity and respect.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
14  Thank beingmarriedsucks
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Omega is not about the rooms, it's about the experience. However, if you are looking to stay in the nicest possible room, I would chose the A cabins, as they are most comfortable. I stayed in the single cabin "A" with my own bathroom, while my friends stayed in the dorms. My room was clean and basic, with a queen sized bed (with one blanket), ceiling fan AND (air conditioning!) It even had a small closet (bring extra hangers if you are staying more than 2 nights...) There is no TV, no radio, no chair, and VERY spotty cell phone service. In the bathroom, they give you two bath towels, and a small bar of soap, but no other amenities are in the room. The brochure said to bring an extra blanket, but I did not need one, as it was hot weather in June! (BTW - I saw the dorms where my friends stayed, and I was NOT impressed at the least...) I also brought bug spray, but fortunately did not really need either! The campus is very hilly, so bring your walking sneakers or sandals. It's VERY casual day and night, as people are mostly dressed in yoga clothes or something similar. Definitely has a friendly, summer-camp feel. There is a lake where you can canoe or swim, and a spa there as well!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
10  Thank Marla C
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I took a weekend course here with my daughter and it was very well-done, the campus is lovely, and the food was good. It was nice to be outdoors a lot in between activities. The vegetarian food was good and plentiful. Everything seemed easy. I will caution you that if you get a cabin or tent site up high on the hill, it will be a bit of a climb. And bring rain gear if there is any chance of rain! We stayed in a tent-cabin which was plain but airy and quiet and we were very happy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank dianagofish
Reviewed May 30, 2010

First of all, one doesn't go to Omega for the rooms. The rooms just happen to house your body while your spirit is soaring, doing other things. I have gone to Omega with my sister every year for the last 5 years. Food is terrific. People are friendly, calm, cool. You will wonder why the whole world doesn't live this way. Make a point to go. I've never known anyone who didn't have a wonderful time. Take advantage of the yoga, movement, dance classes while there. It's all included in the price, heck, you can sleep when you get home. Also check out the library and be prepared to spend hours in the bookstore.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank pattiMcD
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I just came back from my first R&R weekend at Omega and want to go back tomorrow! It was simply amazing. I have never felt more relaxed, peaceful and in touch with my soul than I felt this past weekend. The place is magical.

I stayed in a single cabin with private bath - a bit pricey - but for me, worth the privacy. The room was very small, but also very clean. Hardwood floors, tile bath, modern built in closet and desk. I have 101 food allergies and always have a problem when I travel - but not at Omega! There were so many options to choose from at each meal, that I honestly thought I died and went to food allergy heaven. The food is excellent, plentiful, organic and local, when possible.

The R&R weekend is just enough time to get your feet wet and see if you like what Omega has to offer. I don't think it's for everyone. It certainly seems to be geared toward the serious soul searcher looking to connect more with his/her spirtuality, than it is for someone looking for a "spa" weekend. While there are "wellness services" available (massage, reflexology, tarot readings, etc) , this is not the focus. In fact, my friend wanted a tarot reading, but no one was available.

I did find the evening events a bit disappointing. Next time I go, I'll know to bring something to fill in the time at night. During the day I found that I was so relaxed and just "zoned out" from the Reiki, yoga and meditation, that I just wanted to sit in the Garden and watch the clouds.

The down side is that when you get home.....you really don't want to go back to work!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
8  Thank Qup
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This was my second time at Omega and I am so glad I had the opportunity to go back!. My previous trip was four years ago for a weekend yoga workshop. It was a wonderful trip, although now having spent 5 days there this time 'round, I realized that being there for a weekend is really just too short.
I think you really need at least 4 days there just to allow yourself to come back into balance and relaxation, and to take advantage of all the different activities and opportunities at Omega (from yoga classes, to meditation, to sauna, kayaking, reading by the lake in a hammock, walking trails, enjoying a massage....)

So let's be clear about what Omega is. Omega is a great place to go and relax and rejuvenate, but it is not a luxury resort or destination spa type place, so if you're expecting 5 star stuff, this may not be the place for you. (Although having been to Miraval and other luxury type resorts, I can tell you I had just as good a time at Omega, which is much much cheaper).
So......having said that:

If you go for simple R and R program, stay at least 4 days, if you're going for a workshop I suggest adding a day or two to your stay before or after your workshop, just so you can enjoy all that Omega has to offer, because the workshop does take up most of your day.

Housing: This time I stayed in a single A Cabin and loved it 'til the last night. Last time I stayed in the dorms and had a terrible time due to noise all through the night. The single A cabin was great. The room was beautifully appointed, had heat and ceiling fan, and gorgeous tiled bathroom. My only complaint about my room was that sound traveled rather easily from the room next to mine. I was fine the first 4 nights I was there, but my last night people arrived in the room on the other side of the wall next to my bed and I could hear every step they took as they walked around their cabin. I could also hear them talking. Nonetheless, I was extremely pleased overall with my choice of housing this time. I will never again do the dorm housing. Now, it's private cabin all the way for me!

Grounds/Location: I feel like I'm in this protected "bubble" when I'm at Omega. Everything is right there, so you don't need to leave to do activities or go back into "the real world". The grounds are beautiful. There is wildlife all around--I saw so many groundhogs on a daily basis. You can sit on a bench in the sun and drink your tea, or eat your lunch on the lawn in front of the dining hall,or enjoy a few hours just sitting by the lake area where they have hammocks and lawn chairs set up. Omega is just a beautiful, peaceful, calming place. It's also nice to be without TV and phones (they do have several payphones which I used frequently--the cell service there is pretty nonexistant). They do have free Wifi in the cafe, which I also used without any problems. I brought my own computer but they have 3 computers (with Internet access) for shared use in the back of the cafe.

Food: I remember the food being really good there the first time I went. However, my situation this time was very different, as I recently discovered I have multiple food allergies, including most notably gluten, dairy, and soy. Honestly, I found it difficult for me to eat at Omega b/c of my dietary restrictions. I highly recommend you bring your own food (protein supplements, especially) if you have food allergies/sensitivities. Omega serves only vegetarian food, so I found getting protein there a challenge b/c of my restrictions. Their food is very soy "heavy", if you ask me. Almost every entree at lunch or dinner had soy in it. If you like soy and are not allergic to it I guess it's no big deal. I literally was unable to eat any of the "main" entrees on the buffett at lunch and dinner because they all inevitably had soy, gluten or dairy, so most meals I ate a salad and hard boiled eggs. I actually brought my own special cereal for breakfast, which I'm glad I did, because I would have had literally nothing to eat at breakfast. They do have a "plain foods" ( a grain/vegetable/ and legume) option at lunch and dinner, which was really great for me. Oh, and the Omega Cafe does serve food as well (although you have to pay separately for this), and they do serve meat there. They have some awesome desserts at the cafe (try their raw vegan chocolate macaroons), although the food there is pricey. The cafe staff was really friendly and even gave me some recipes for desserts I ate there.

Other stuff: Definitely get a massage at the wellness center. I did an 80 minute deep tissue massage with Lynn that was incredible. I also did a reflexology treatment b/c I'd never done it before, it was just average, and a Tip Top Toe, which basically seemed like a repeat of the reflexology. Next time if I want to do some treatments at the wellness center I think I'll stick with just straight massage.

Omega and Kripalu seem very similar to me, if you like Kripalu you'll probably like Omega, and vice versa. There is definitely a "hippie" vibe at both places, with plenty of dreadlocks and "earthy" vibe, which I'm totally into, but it might not feel OK for some. I think I actually prefer Omega to Kripalu, if only because it seems easier to spend more time outside at Omega, whereas at Kripalu it seems like everything is inside.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
11  Thank AZgirl40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
#2 of 3 in Woodstock
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Omega Institute? Share your experiences!