“Nirvana in Rhinebeck” 5 of 5 bubbles

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nirvana in Rhinebeck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I spent 5 days in total bliss. It was such a relaxing time and I had a chance to unwind . The vegetarian cuisine is 5 star fare and the staff were so friendly and accommodating. The people I met were so down to earth and REAL! I had so much fun finding myself again. The natural beauty of the setting helped to enhance the experience. I can't wait to return and for another R & R retreat. I thoroughly recommend Omega Institute.

2 Thank Sharon J

Miami
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Truly Magnificent Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

A great place to truly get away and disconnect from the day to day bustle and hustle of life. A Holistic & Natures lover's dream, filled with wild chipmunks, rabbits, baggers, and beautiful birds. A must for anyone who enjoys nature and a holistic experience.

2 Thank Erik A
Madison, New Jersey
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Natural, Genuine, Peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I love Omega. This was my third trip... twice in 2011. First time in 2012. I spent the weekend for a Tara Brach Radical Acceptance workshop July 20-22, 2012.

The Omega Institute is an amazing place. You get what you put into it and you should select the workshops with a critical eye. Make sure you are going to a session you will love by doing the research on the presenter(s). Last year I saw Tara Brach and it was AMAZING... now I'm very familiar with Tara and knew what content to expect. Omega added to the experience during Tara's workshop in 2011 and this year in 2012. I'll explain more below :-) My second session in 2011 was not as AMAZING... on a whim I signed up for a workshop and knew nothing about the instructors... it was not as fulfilling. My third trip, this weekend, to Omega I once again saw Tara and I am so happy, fulfilled, optimistic, jazzed... so many words...

LODGING: Omega has basic accommodations. There are several options. This weekend I stayed solo in a platform tent; a wooden floor with carpet, 2 twin beds, a wall light bulb, a lamp, four plywood walls, a window, a screened door, and a tarp for a roof. It's not really a tent... I stayed in platform tent 8. I brought my sleeping bag and pillow. I was very comfortable. Between 2 AM and 6 AM it was in the 60s so I was very happy and warm in my sleeping bag. Platform tent 8 (happens to be the EXACT same one I stayed in last year during Tara's workshop) is close to the main path as well as the bathroom, so a 2 AM need to run to the bathroom isn't too bad. Lodging is pricey... check the site for prices. My platform tent was as clean as one would expect a plywood room with a tarp could be - a few dead bugs here and there, no real visible dirt, the screen door had a few holes but because it was cooler in the evenings I luckily had no bugs. I did have natural bug spray if I needed it. Note there is no real lock on the door, when you leave for the day it is open. Now, honestly I forgot my iPhone in my tent yesterday (Saturday) morning. When I returned at lunch to change into my bathing suit it was right where I left it, but I don't recommend leaving anything in your room that you may fear could walk away. I didn't bring a laptop or my iPad - I didn't want to be connected to technology anyway, to me that's what Omega should be about - a retreat!

BRING: flashlight, flip flops (shower shoes), layers of clothes, plenty of money to spend at the fantastic bookstore (I can't get enough of the jewelry, books, etc), water bottle, easy to carry bag (for wallet, water bottle, sunglasses, extra clothes anything that you want during the day so you don't have to truck it back and forth between the workshop and your room/tent), I carry a had fan (think Asian/Spanish fan... or Scarlet O'Hara ;-) ), journal, pens, camera, bug repellant, small portable fan for your sleeping accommodations if it is warm.

FOOD: If I could cook the way the dining staff do at Omega I'd be a vegetarian. Almost everything tastes amazing. Almost all of it is organic, it is well seasoned and flavored. I need to write them and ask them to publish a cookbook. Three visits and the food is ALWAYS great. Fresh fruit and vegetables, vegan choices (I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but BOTH options were delicious). Teas are great (I don't drink coffee). Water fountains are available everywhere to fill your water bottle. If the food in the dining facilitate doesn't meet your needs there is a cafe with other choices. I have not picked up food there because I LOVE the food in the dining facility. In the dining facility, after selecting what you want of the glorious food, everyone eats at circular tables and gets to know each other. You often have the option of sitting in silence (look for placards on the tables) or eating while getting to know your fellow campers. It is wonderful relating to people and finding so many open, natural, genuine people. It is a warm inviting environment. If you open up to others, it is wonderful to eat with people and share so much

EXPECTATIONS: Omega is a former Jewish kids camp (remants can be found here and there like the former girl's changing room used to keep the kayak/canoe paddles and pfds - in Hebrew - I assume it's Hebrew - and English it says GIRLS). Omega is basically a retreat/camp for adults. It is not luxurious. If you want luxury go to Canyon Ranch and spend more... Omega is not cheap, either, but manage your expectations - it's a converted kids camp. Select an amazing workshop and open your heart and mind to what could be a great experience.

I LOVE OMEGA.

8 Thank HappyHikerGirl
Sewell, New Jersey
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Great for an R&R retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Had a great 4-day getaway to the Omega Institute. R&R retreats include all the regular daily programming (yoga, tai chi, meditation, movement classes) and meals (vegetarian, and great!) along with added classes like a humor workshop. This is a wonderful place to unwind, relax and connect with nature -- as well as make new friends. The accomdations are pretty basic, but you're not in your room much, trust me!

Visited May 2012
2 Thank muszekfan
Brookfield, Massachusetts
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“An uplifting experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Omega Institute was just a perfect vacation for me. I couldn't have asked for a nicer experience. I'm not a vegetarian, but I appreciate healthy food and that's what I got - absolutely delicious, all-you-can-eat, top quality food (local / organic) at every meal and accommodations to fit every diet. Everyone was friendly and staff was friendly and helpful. Prices at the book/gift shop were reasonable. Grounds were beautiful with fresh flowers added in the workshop rooms throughout campus that were very welcoming. My noontime dance class was sheer joy and the workshop I took was profoundly meaningful.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Wendy N

Been to Omega Institute? Share your experiences!