“Wilderstein is my favorite”

Wilderstein Historic Site
Book on TripAdvisor
More Info
$65.00*
and up
Hudson Valley New York Great Estates Pass
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Rhinebeck
More attraction details
Owner description: Wilderstein Historic Site, with its exquisite Queen Anne mansion and Calvert Vaux designed landscape, is widely regarded as one of the Hudson Valley’s most important examples of Victorian architecture. The estate was the home of Margaret (Daisy) Suckley, whose extraordinarily close relationship with Franklin Delano Roosevelt has been well-chronicled and is the subject of much interest. Wilderstein’s guided tour includes the elaborate 1888 interiors of the first floor of the mansion, the exterior architecture, landscape, annual exhibition, and video. The regular season for guided tours is May through October. In addition, the mansion is open and decorated for the holidays from Thanksgiving weekend until the end of December.There is also a network of hiking trails on the property, special events throughout the year, a gift shop, and spectacular Hudson River views.
Rhinebeck, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wilderstein is my favorite”
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I live in the Hudson Valley and know Wilderstein well. It is far and away my favorite historic site in the area. Each time I have taken the tour, I have been exposed to something new or something that I didn’t notice before. This site differs from most others because it truly is a restoration work in progress and the progress in the last few years has been amazing. Another cool thing about Wilderstein is that the exhibits are pretty creative (a library turned into a children’s fantasy jungle – where else are you going to see that?) Anyway, it is my favorite place to take out of town guests – even if they’re not into houses – the trails on the grounds (designed by Calvert Vaux) are worth the trip in and of themselves. If you’re into historic homes, restoration or landscape- this place is worth seeing.

2 Thank hvtraveler67

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed September 13, 2009

After reading the review from NY Times and the website, I was prepared to tour this beautiful 45 room house. What a disappointment to get on the tour and be shown only THREE, only three rooms of the whole house. For $10 entrance fee, I felt I was ripped off! Recommend to wait until more of the home is available to see. Who knows when, but I would wait to spend $10 on visiting three rooms. I was not for warned, had I been, I would have not made this long and expensive trip. So now you know to be aware!

5 Thank anezve
Twain Harte, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Peek into a family's life”
Reviewed November 9, 2003

Wilderstein is a lovely afternoon destination, and well worth the trip if you value architecture and history. The restoration of the mansion itself is a work-in-progress, with only the main floor open for tours (but there is still a lot to see). Virtually everything in the house belonged to the Suckley family - from the paintings in the hallways to the china on the table - and it gives one a wonderful peek into the real lives of the family: what they read, where they sat, what they valued. Our docent-led tour was fantastic (and quite leisurely!), with loads of information and stories about the family and their connections to history. We walked around the grounds later and marvelled at the beautiful views. I can't wait to go back when they've got more of the house open to tours.

5 Thank mtnyoung