“Save your money and time - give this one a pass”
Review of The Veranda House

The Veranda House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
The Veranda House
Ranked #7 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2007

As we live in Rhinebeck, we had often passed The Veranda House.
We were planning our Wedding, an informal affair, and intended to marry in Woodstock, NY in two months. We walked the two blocks over to The Veranda House knowing nothing except the excellent reputation of the previous owners. We were both disappointed with the Innkeepers 'reserved', almost unfriendly attitude. But we went ahead and asked her what she thought we needed to know (since we had no brochure) and then booked 3 rooms for guests from out of town. We gave her a check for the correct amount. What could go wrong with a neighbor???

Two weeks later, we found out that my fiance was going to need open heart surgery. I called the inkeeper up to tell her we needed to change our Wedding plans/dates and she was VERY surly and unpleasant. She told me she would be keeping 20%. Now, I probably should have been expecting this. but I had much more serious matters on my mind, I told her I didn't think this was fair since I had booked only 2 weeks prior. She told me to look at her brochure. I told her we didn't have one! She hadn't given us one when we were there. Then she told me it was policy.

Ok. Then I asked her to reconsider considering our circumstances. She finally agreed. A week went by and I received a check for our deposit in the mail MINUS the 20%. I tried calling her multiple times to ask her for the other 20%. Once she said it was an oversight and I'd get the check. When I didn't get it, I called back but whenever I identified myself, she made excuses to not speak to me.

Life gets pretty busy, especially when you are facing life threatening conditions. I let it go.

Yes, we're married now - tomorrow is our one year anniversary!
So all went well. When we rescheduled our, we DID NOT call the Veranda House.

I'm not really upset about the 20%. That is the usual policy in most places. I DO OBJECT to the nastiness of the innkeeper, to her refusal to take my calls and to her lying to me about returning the money.

Please know that Rhinebeck is a wonderful place. Just check reviews such as on this website before booking lodging. And go with your instincts!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank hana527

Reviewed April 10, 2007

I only wished I'd read the reviews on this property before I booked my stay at The Veranda House. I completely second the opinion of the post complaining about the innkeeper.

My parents were visiting me in NYC from out of the country, and as my dad isn't a fan of bustling cities in general, I decided to take them out on the weekend trip to the Hudson River Valley. So I booked two rooms at The Veranda House for our weekend getaway. Anyways, due to a change in schedule on my parents' part, we couldn't do the weekend trip anymore so I called to cancel my reservation as soon as I found out from my parents (approx. two and a half weeks before the booked weekend). When the innkeeper found out I was cancelling my reservation, she became very upset and not only told me off about how rude I was for cancelling, as she'd received other reservation requests on the rooms I'd booked, but continued on to insult my character. After taking a deep breath because I was so shocked, I found out she'd actually hung up the phone on me. Needless to say, I wasn't sure if the cancellation was confirmed and not wanting anymore misunderstanding, I called back to confirm the cancellation. This time, the innkeeper bluntly told me that she didn't want to talk to me. After a few more curt words where I confirmed the cancellation and managed to keep my composure, she hung up on me again. Although I didn't stay at the property, I have never come across more rude treatment from someone who works in the hospitality industry. Her treatment was so shocking and horrific that I will never consider staying at this property the next time I visit the Hudson River Valley.

There are much nicer B&Bs in the region with delightful hosts, so PLEASE don't waste your time and stay somewhere else! Btw, Rhinebeck is a lovely town...quaint farmers market and antique shops (have visited before).

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank NYC_Girl03
bigthyme5, personal assistant at The Veranda House, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2007

At the time of this unfortunate misunderstanding, the owner had just undergone a shoulder surgery ( in Feb. )and a knee surgery ( in March) and was still trying to run the inn and not turn down any reservations that had already been made. As it turned out she ended up back in the hospital on 4/6 for 10 days with heart problems. So, had you not cancelled the reservation you would have been called by me and told we could not accomedate you. As stipulated in our website about cancellations, she could have charged you a 20% fee, but she did not . I understand that this is a business but, everyone has a bad day sometimes.

Reviewed November 6, 2006

What a terrible experience we had here! I had booked 4 rooms (of the 5 available) in January for an October stay. We were a party of 8 well-traveled adults. We had no special demands, and were model guests.

At first, we were quite pleased. The inn seemed nice, and was convenient to our weekend plans. However, a number of unpleasant and strange things happened over the course of our stay, so my opinion is now not at all favorable.

The inn keeper was simply awful and made the entire 3-day stay miserable! Upon our arrival, she never came out to greet us, so we were on our own for locating rooms. The inn itself is decorated with C-rate antiques and masses of personal memorabilia. LOTS of personal memorabilia.

As a previous reviewer noted, there is a small and shabby “lounge”, but as we were never greeted, we stumbled upon it accidentally. The inn keeper checked in on us only once, and that was not to check that we were okay, but to instruct us to turn down the heat (which was at 50 degrees!) when we turned in.

A few more examples of her utter disregard for her guests:

- In the evenings, lights were not turned on, so we found ourselves returning from our event and stumbling through this dark and unfamiliar house trying to locate light switches for the common rooms, the main hallway, the porch, and the upstairs hallway. Because of this, the following night, before we left for dinner we turned on the hallway and porch lights, only to discover upon our return that they had all been turned off. Not turned down, but off. As a result, we had trouble opening the front door, since it was dark as pitch.

- The breakfasts were quite good, but the inn keeper does not offer coffee before breakfast (a first in my experience at B&Bs across the country!), and coffee is only permitted at the breakfast table. Yes, folks - you read that right. You can drink coffee, but only at the table. Yes, that is indeed treating one as an errant child.

- There is no flexibility with breakfast times. She serves when it is convenient for her with no regard for guests. On our second morning, we had arranged to have breakfast at 8:00, after being chided for appearing downstairs at 8:00am the previous morning, only to be served at 8:30 after all.

- The breakfast was plentiful and quite tasty, so long as your tastes and the inn keeper’s tastes coincide. The warm breakfast on our first morning consisted of scrambled eggs, but she did not tell us what was added to the eggs. I could discern scallions, which I personally enjoy, only to discover with my first bite that she had also added goat cheese, which I do not care for. What a terrible surprise in my mouth!

- The room and very small en suite bathroom were clean upon our arrival, but the bathroom was not cleaned very thoroughly on our second day. There were still hairs in the shower, and a Q-Tip behind the garbage pail. Also, the fan in the Blue Heron room is clearly malfunctioning (emitting a terrible screech), but when this was mentioned to the inn keeper, she appeared angry, as if I had broken something. Also, there is quite a bit of street noise, as the Inn is located on one of the two main streets in town.

- Upon on departure, she did not provide a receipt, and she was not ready with any invoices. Rather, she found a scrap of paper and wrote down the total for each room on that scrap of paper. Before each of our group of 8 had each had an opportunity to glance at the sheet, she had whisked it away, saying that she needed that piece of paper for her IRS files. I find it astonishing that she had not prepared for final payment before we approached her at 9:30 on the morning of our departure! Moreover, she seemed surprised that we wanted to pay for each room individually, even though it had been explained well in advance and confirmed in advance.

- There are phones in each room. While most of us used our cell phones for any personal calls, one in our party is pregnant, and is experiencing on-going pre-term labor and contractions. As a result, and on doctor’s orders, she straps on a monitoring device for an hour each morning and each evening, then sends the results via a 1-800 number and a traditional phone jack to the monitoring center.

After monitoring on her first evening at the inn, she discovered that the phone line in our room was dead! She checked with others on our floor, and those lines were dead, too. She then knocked on the inn keeper’s door, and was told that she cannot use the inn keeper’s phone for this one minute free call, but that she could try the lounge. Well, there is no phone there, and we discovered that the jack in that room is dead, too. A second visit to the inn keeper resulted in another rejection! For medical reasons, this information had to be transmitted within a certain time frame, and the inn keeper refused to let our friend use her phone line. Moreover, she did not apologize for not having phone service in the bedrooms! We finally discovered that the phone line in the downstairs bedroom worked, but it was a very trying time while this was going on.

I am still incredulous that she was not accommodating enough to allow her this one free call from her private quarters. It is this kind of callousness that characterizes her personality. She is the coldest and rudest inn keeper I have ever encountered. I strongly urge you to NOT stay at this inn.

Rhinebeck, however, is a delightful town! We loved the food at the tea shop and at Terrapin. here is a good bookstore, and scads of wonderful boutiques. There are a number of great cafes and bars, and it is just a lovely place. I will happily return there and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: October 2006
13  Thank jmww
Reviewed October 3, 2006

We stayed at the Veranda House (in the "Forget Me Not" room) for one night in early Oct 2006. The property is located right on Rt 9 and therefore there is a little bit of noise from the traffic for those located in the front of the house (such as us) but it is not loud enough to be a concern. The property is very attractive from the outside, and is decorated in what can only be described as traditional B&B on the inside (i.e. a little too fussy for our tastes, but similar in style to many B&Bs we had stayed in before throughout the U.S.). The room and en suite bathroom were very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was served at 8:30 sharp and consisted of fruit served in a martini glass, french toast, and homemade cake all washed down with the usual OJ and coffee or tea. Overall, it was a pleasant stay at an appropriate price for the location (i.e. not cheap at $170 per night, but not bad for Rhinebeck).
Things to note: the house is a short walk along busy Rt 9 to the shops and restaurants of Rhinebeck (it can be a wee bit dark walking along the uneven sidewalk at night due to the poor street lighting). The owner does not accept credit cards - bring a check or cash. There is a library/lounge where the owner puts out sherry for guests each evening - however the room is tucked away off the main dining room and is easy to miss (we almost did!). We eat dinner at Gigi Trattoria - an italian restaurant located fairly close to the property. Very nice meal, reasonably priced, with a good selection of Italian wines. We also had lunch at Desperado Cafe - cheap but very decent home-made tex-mex food located downtown.
I would recommend the Veranda House as a clean, comfortable, and fairly pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank Westby

Been to The Veranda House? Share your experiences!