“bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Veranda House

The Veranda House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
The Veranda House
Ranked #8 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Be very careful when reserving a room..... innkeeper not nice
Innkeeper said in order to reserve a room she requires a check deposit for 1 night for a stay of 3.
otherwise she can not hold a room. She also took my credit card number just to open up an account but she said she won't charge anything. I never sent in check and called and left message that I was cancelling within 2 weeks of conversation.. 6/9 weeks later I get a call from innkeeper on the day of my original inquiry of vacation and asked when I would be arriving. I told her that I never sent in check and I called and left message that I didn't want the room. She then called me a lair, she said she doesn't take cancellations over the message machine and doesn't ask for a check deposit and she then yelled and argued and hung up on me.
I have stayed at veranda house once before and this was the exact procedure in booking a room. Innkeeper never called to ask where my check was.
There are plenty of nice B and B's in Rhinebeck . no need to stay here

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank beh10075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I have just spent the weekend in Rhinebeck at Veranda House. The house dates back to 1865 (I think). It is well cared for and has a wonderful ambience as a result. Yvonne, the owner, is friendly and helpful - I am gluten free and she was happy to work around my dietary restrictions at breakfast...she also served me the best pot of tea I have had in the States.

Nice room, super clean, topped off with a good breakfast - in summary, this is exactly what a B&B should be (Veranda House is neither an inn nor a hotel - worth being aware of the differences). From my experience, it is a great place and, doubtless, we'll be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose room - small bathroom but it's a B&B
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phil976
Moosic, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed at the Veranda House in September and found the house to be charming, and tastefully decorated, with beautiful things collected by the innkeeper over the years. Yvonne was very kind and helpful and her breakfast was very good. Our room was comfortable and well-appointed. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the sherry as we spent a nice hour on the front porch, All in all, a good experience!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Santina L
Langhorne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at The Veranda House Saturday July 9, 2011. The room was very clean, comfortable, and exactly what we expected from a B&B. We spent more than an hour sitting on the front porch and found that extremely relaxing. The only trivial complaint was the size of the bathroom, which was small but that was not an issue because it was sparking clean.

Breakfast on Sunday morning was very good. Our hostess Yvonne was very polite, courteous, and took the time for a special request from me for Waffles, which were excellent. There were two other couples at breakfast and we enjoyed their company and the conversation.

If and when we return to Rhinebeck, we would definitely return to the Veranda House.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bobbytMD
West Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

A very relaxing stay, in a quiet comfortable room, with a charming hostess, and delicious breakfast. The perfect location for exploring the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SarahAnne25
Guanajuato
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at the Veranda House for 5 nights over the 4th of July weekend and were very satisfied with both the accomodations and the service. The beds are large and comfortable with a lot of extra pillows. The bathroom for the "Forget-Me-Not"room is spacious and modern, with a lot of amenities.The breakfasts are generous and very good, especially the home baked coffee cakes and muffins. Yvonne (the innkeeper and breakfast chef) was flexible about breakfast times and graciously accomodated our special requests. There is also wireless internet! Rhinebeck is a lovely town, with many attractions nearby. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Bartola
East Dennis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

While the inn was in a modest state of maintenance due to some exterior painting, the accomodations were pleasant and the inn was charming assuming you enjoy Victorian surroundings. Rooms were of adequate size and although the bathrooms were quite small (formerly closets for the rooms of the previous home) they were well equipped. The linens and beds in the rooms were quite nice and comfortable.

The room included a full breakfast which was excellent and prepared by the innkeeper, a charming lady formerly from England (Yvonne) who proved to be a very good host (or hostess if youn prefer).

In the sitting room, there was wine available as well as ice if you provided your own beverages. While there was cable TV should you want it, the TV was quite old and could use some updating.

All in all, the stay was enjoyable, the price/value of the rooms was very good and the town of Rhinebeck and surrounding countryside was exceptional both from a historical/cultural standpoint as well as from a pastoral perspective.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out each room on line for select.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank HTJR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
Rondout Inn
Rondout Inn
#3 of 8 in Kingston

Been to The Veranda House? Share your experiences!