“Suprise Thai Find in Rhinebeck”
Review of Aroi Thai

Aroi Thai
Ranked #12 of 58 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I get to the Hudson Valley for work once or twice per year, and recently have had the joy of passing through Rhinebeck, which is a really interesting place. I found Aroi today after a work meeting and went there for a late lunch. It was 2:30, but they were still serving and there were several other small groups in the dining room also. The fact that they were serving clients out of season this late in the lunch hour made me pretty confident that the food would be good.

I got the $9 lunch special which consisted of a cup of soup or a salad, followed by an entree. I went with the vegetable Tom Yum soup and the Green Curry chicken. These are safe bets and I figured if they were going to do anything well, this would be it. The soup was tasty, but not as spicy as I would have liked. The flavors were not as deep as the the Tom Yum Kung I've had at other restaurants, but that may be to do with switching the shrimp for veggies.

My chicken curry, although marked as very hot with three chilies, was only medium spicy. However, the rich deep flavor of the curry was impressive. I would definitely order this again and just ask them to make it "Thai hot". In any case, for $9 - $14 total with drink and a tip, I was thrilled. I keep planning to come back to Rhinebeck on vacation with my girlfriend and this would definitely go on the possible eateries for that trip.

Service was quiet and attentive and the small house atmosphere was perfect. Subdued and good for conversation. If you are a Thai food fan, I would definitely recommend this, just ask them to nudge the spice up for you if you want it hot.

Also, I noticed that although they were open for lunch today (Monday) that they they closed for lunch on both Tuesday and Wednesday. No idea why, but something to think about as you plan your visit!

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I liked the food but I felt the lunch portions were too small for me.

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Aroi Thai fills a local need for good Thai food. The service is excellent, and the setting in a colonial home on the Rhinebeck's main street is perfect. Lots of free parking.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

We eat at a Thai restaurant wherever and whenever we can - the food fits our tastes. In Rhinebeck we've now eaten at Aroi Thai four or five times. Each time the food has been very good and the service straightforward, though sometimes a bit distracted. The atmosphere is simple, but enjoyable - in winter the paper globes, folded paper cranes and lights hanging outside are magical.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have been to this restaurant many times - mostly for lunch - and it never disappoints. We love their fresh rolls and their soups are just delectable. The interior seating is lovely (the ladies room smells divine with a beautiful orchid one time i visited). We just always come away satisfied and feeling like we just had such a fresh and healthy meal. Love it!

1  Thank imagineif