“Surprisingly nice for the price”

Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rensselaer
Reviewed July 7, 2009

A friend & I stayed here while in town for a funeral. We got a good last-minute "bereavement" price, which was appreciated. The hotel was easy to find, just off the highway, with lots of parking. The staff was generally friendly, if a bit odd. (I really do NOT need the front desk clerk telling me how nice I look in the picture on my credit card.) Our room was very clean, with good temperature control and extremely comfortable beds. We enjoyed excellent coffee and a decent variety of breakfast foods beyond the standard continental breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 1, 2009

Overall, this hotel was ok, but no better.

The room itself was decent, except that there were a few minor maintenance issues. The one that stood out was the very broken iron in the room. It leaked water everywhere, including all over my clothes. I'm not sure how the housekeeper could have missed its broken condition.

One side of the hotel has dramatic views of downtown Albany. Unfortunately, as the last reservation to arrive for the night, I had to take a room on the other side. Minor road noise from US-4 but otherwise uninteresting view.

The clerk at check-in was friendly but the clerk the next morning clearly did not want to be at work. Said very little and had kind of a sullen attitude.

The breakfast was very well stocked and probably the best part of the hotel. Very friendly breakfast attendant, as well.

This hotel had the feeling of a roadside stopping point for long distance travel. Very forgettable and not distinctive, but with lots of available parking. I probably will not return but would be ok with it if I had to.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I booked a room here as a stop over on a long car trip. For some reason I was given a wheel-chair accessible room, which I imagine would be a godsend for a person in a wheelchair, but the bathroom and other amenities were awkward for me. The room was not especially clean, for example, sticky ice bucket. The internet was not working (wireless nor wired). The front desk staff seemed very nice but their computers were astonishingly slow so that check-in took a full 15 minutes. The ice machines were not working on 2 of the three floors. The stairwells were quite dirty. There were a lot of noisy, drunken guests in the halls at night due, I think, to a wedding party.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank WhatKindOfDog
Reviewed December 26, 2008

I stayed at the property as part of a road trip between LA and NYC.
Just off I-90, close to downtown Albany, indeed it has a great view over the city.
It was very busy when we stayed. We got the last two rooms,.
Mine was a 'suite'. The room was very clean and large.
Very pleasant checkin staff.
Large lounge area with TV for socialising with friends.
Great breakfast.
Next to 'Sports Grill', which served great food. Sports on TVs.
Definately recommend, and would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This is just about what you'd expect when you think of HI Express. Nothing fancy, but a clean, comfortable and safe stay. Easy location to the expressway, the room was clean and the breakfast was good. The room could have used some maintenance. The shower curtain was coming off the track and the shower head was a bit plugged. Otherwise, no complaints.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I stayed here with my family once we decided not to travel home in a snowstorm. Rates were low and trip advisor reviews were positive. Our one night stay confirmed the positive reviews. The room was clean and large. Climate control unit was quiet. Nice bedsheets and bedcover! Breakfast was in a large room with many choices and quality was slightly better then the standard fare at these lower end chain hotels. Staff was very pleasant. Definitely a good value.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ski&brew
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Heard about the hotel through a friend that had stay for business and he said that it was a nice place. The person who took the reservation was very friendly and was able to take all my questions. When I got there I was amazed at the view, truly awesome. I asked if they could give me a room with a view, unfortunately they didn't. I'll make that request next time. Good night out with friends and the hotel had a nice breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ramblinalbany
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rensselaer
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany-East Greenbush
Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany East Greenbush
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Greenbush
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Gr...
#1 of 2 in Castleton On Hudson
Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley

Been to Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)? Share your experiences!