“Great Hotel for Business Stay”

Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rensselaer
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I try to stay at this property when I have to be in Albany for business. It is clean and comfortable and the staff is very attentive. The free breakfast is very good. They offer a free shuttle to and from the train station which is very helpful. It is not in a great location for dining purposes if you don't have a car but there is a restaurant next door that serves good food at reasonable prices. The fitness room is serviceable but the second night I went to use the treadmill the TV remote was no where to be found. My heating/AC unit wasn't working when I checked in but the staff had it replaced while I was out to dinner which was great since there were freeze warnings for that night!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Caroline M

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is my hotel of choice when in Albany. I come in by train and it is a very short cab ride from the station. They also will pick you up with a free van if you call ahead, but sometimes there can be a wait, it is easier to just take a cab. The free shuttle is more convenient for trips away from the hotel, they will run you back to the station or to downtown Albany.

Try to get a city-side room on the third floor for a great view of the city. I have really enjoyed watching summer thunderstorms roll across the Hudson valley.

The rooms are generally clean and large, with mini-kitchens. There are occasional issues, but the staff is very helpful.

About the only problem with the hotel is that they still allow smoking on parts of the second floor. Word has gotten around with smokers, and the second floor can reek of smoke, and you'll also find people sneaking smokes around the hotel. It would be great if they went all non-smoking, so that the hotel wouldn't attract hard-core smokers.

Room Tip: Choose a third-floor, city side room. Avoid the second floor unless you really like cigarette smoke...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Everyone was so pleasant and helpful. Great rate. Room (and bathroom) was very clean...even extra towels. Easily adjusted temperature kept me comfortable all night.
Didn't get to use the pool.
AMAZING view
Breakfast was average. Coffee was very good.
Restaurant shares the same parking lot. Great food. Comfortable atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall I think this is a very decent place to stay. I happened to get a bad room at the end of hall by stairwell and for some reason the doors would slam instead of closing slowly and softly. So when the workers arrived or would be cleaning up the doors were slamming incessantly. Breakfast was decent, gym was spacious and clean (not much equipment but enough to get a workout for sure). Pool and hot tub looked clean (I did not use them). Decent cheap places to eat nearby. I think you will be happy with it. Just choose a room away from stairwells.

Room Tip: Stay away from stairwells
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JoeBatts
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline), responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear JoeBatts,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I am truly sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D

Reviewed February 24, 2013

however, we wont be back.

Stale smoke WREAKED everywhere. Yes, I had a non-smoking room. We stayed in 201 and it was good size. Hot tub was okay. Floors were very unkept throughout. My daughter's bed had some sort of "yuk" on the comforter, we tore that off in a hurry. Bed was comfy. I'd recommend that you stay on the 3rd floor, if you do not want to be woken up by the people above you. Rooms are def not sound proof. Limited choices in the vending area, soda machines on 2nd floor don't work, no ice machine only on 1st floor.. And breakfast. No good. The scrambled eggs were edible on Saturday morning, however Sunday was a different story.. YUK. Wanted to make a pancake, the "machine" was out of batter and the attendant told me that there would be no more, because it would take 20 minutes. Was kinda snappy about it too. Breakfast ended precisely at 9:58, lights off and all cleared out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline), responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear MelissaJo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you our beds comfortable and our front desk and housekeeping were very nice. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are happy you experienced it as such. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the stale smoke and breakfast options may have caused. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as this is our best resource in providing guest satisfaction.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I like HIE because they typically have clean rooms, good rates, and so on. This one is no different. Very easy to get to off of I-90 in Rensselaer. The room is humongous. However, walking to it, I was struck in the hallway by the smell of stale smoke. Maybe all the rooms aren't smoke-free. That's bad if true. The ice machines were not working on the floor, so you had to go to the snack room, which was awfully bare of things to purchase. Breakfast was very disappointing. They have the typical pre-made omelets and bacon (which was cooked to a crisp and not at all appealing). Everything else was carbs, carbs, carbs. No fresh fruit, not even a banana. I am very disappointed in this HIE.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DJDrZ
BBLHosp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline), responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for the detailed review of your stay with us. I’m sorry to see that you were disappointed with your experience. We do offer some smoking rooms for guests who request them, though I can understand your concern. I’d like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will also take our breakfast options into consideration as we move forward. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss any of these matters further or if you have any further concerns or questions. We hope you will give us another shot the next time you are in town.

Kesha Legg, General Manager

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was a bit disappointed in this particular Holiday Inn. When I initially entered to check-in, the desk clerk was on the phone with her Supervisor, and ignored me for at least 4 minutes. I would have expected at the very least an acknowledgement, and perhaps putting an employee to employee conversation 'on hold' to attend to a Customer. Didn't happen.

It was a very cold night, in the 20 degree range, and when I entered my room, the air conditioner was on. the room was freezing. The heat did come on quickly, but the bathroom was quite cold.

The bathroom sink and tub did not drain well. The plumbing was bad. The sink drained very slowly, and the bathtub did not drain in the morning. Since the pipes were squealing loudly and making pinging noises throughout the night, I think many rooms have plumbing issues.

There were only 2 hangers in the room (the Desk Clerk brought more to the room upon request), and the alarm clock was unplugged.

I expect a room to be ready when I check-in, not 1 hour after. All these issues should have been addressed prior to check-in.

I rated this a below average stay because I do run into poorly maintained rooms often. Typically there are not as many problems as this though.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline), responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Greg T,

Thanks for choosing us and taking the time to write your review. I am happy to know that you found our location to be suitable for your needs. I deeply regret the inconvenience you may have experienced during check in and if the room facilities' amenities did not function as expected. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Pam G.
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rensselaer
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany East Greenbush
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany-East Greenbush
Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley
Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)? Share your experiences!