“Clean, comfortable, but not quiet - you should check on making rez”

Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rensselaer
“Clean, comfortable, but not quiet - you should check on making rez”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed here on business a couple of weeks ago. Have stayed here many times each March. 1st review.

Checkin: I'm a Priority Platinum Member - check in took 2 minutes - didn't get the room requested (king bed - all rooms are non-smoke). I didn't get an upgrade either. They stuck me in a handicap room with a shower with no pressure. I trudged back down to front desk clerk and asked if there were any better rooms - he put me in a standard 2 double room. Incidentally, there was no "welcome treat (bottle water, snack) in either room.

Room: Since last time I was here they've replaced the tired old tube with flat screen HDTVs - don't know if this is throughout or just some of the rooms. Other than that, room was the same - clean, bed firm, bath clean, small but functional.

Gym: same old but functional equipment as last time.

There's no restaurant/bar on premises, but there's a sports bar sharing the side parking lot. Breakfast was your standard Express - hot scrambled eggs, toast, cereal, fruit, etc. The sports bar next door is open late and has typical bar food - I had a grilled chicken salad one night - it was okay. On the road the hotel faces there is a shopping center with fast food plus some chains. .

The second night, we were invaded by what appeared to be a high school team. They played ball and made a huge amount of noise in the hallway, playing ball, slamming themselves against doors including mine, and did things that one might expect unchaperoned high schoolers to do - nothing criminal - just rude and unruly for someone paying for a nice quiet hotel room who had a report (not this one) to write for work for tomorrow morning. I called front desk twice - they said they were going to look into it - but at that hour (9pm) the clerk was the only staff there and he couldn't leave his post. I put up with it for another hour, then decided since it wasn't getting any better to go down to the sports bar . Guess who was there? A bunch of the team's parents. Apparently I wasn't the only one complaining because when I returned there were two parents who moved armchairs into the corridor acting as hall monitors.

Check out was another fiasco as the team and parents were all congregating in the lobby - I mentioned the circus the previous night - the clerk apologised - "other than that, did I enjoy my stay?" What kind of a screwed up question was that? I just told her "NO, I did NOT enjoy my stay" and I found her scripted question totally demeaning and from now on I am going to find out if there is going to be a team staying there IF I stay there again. For the record: she didn't offer anything off my bill.
Conclusion: A hotel that doesn't control its guests behavior, doesn't value platinum priority members, and is lucky to get busloads of guests when it can

Room Tip: tell them if you do not want handicap fixtured rooms - ask if there is a sports team there during yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank regman2all
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline), responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Regman2all,

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback via Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline). I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you used the hotel & facilities available here and this is not the usual high standard of guest experience that we offer. We have addressed the maters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.
We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests & this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer. Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Corning, New York
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've stayed at this property several times. It is very clean and not far from Downtown Albany. It has an excellent skyline view of Albany on a clear night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel. They have nice views of the Albany skyline. The rooms in...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark_Ryckman
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed here while on business. The hotel was a standard Holiday inn Express. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The biggest perk to me was the fact that the property gives you access to the Planet Fitness about 1 mile down the road. Usually these properties and have two crappy treadmills, but the access to the gym a huge plus and was the reason I stayed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank njtraveler811
A Blue State, USA
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express is right off of I-90, close to restaurants, movie theatre, Walmart and other major suburban chain stores.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Albany skyline: it's a nice view and quieter than facing the busy loca...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MsBizTraveler
Rochester, New York
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stopped here last year when traveling to The Cape at Thanksgiving time. So satisfied stopped again this year. Comfortable room. Arrived too late for the pool. Next year will try to arrive earlier to take advantage of the hot tub.
Above average toiletries provide compared to other Holiday Inns.
Not your average complimentary continental breakfast. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, plus pastries, cereal hot and cold. Very nice breakfast area as well.
There are evening meal restaurants near by, one just across the parking lot. Restaurants offer discount for guests of Holiday Inn.
We stayed on the second floor. There is an efficient elevator off the lobby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank roadrun50
Norwell, Ma
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have come to like the HI Express but this one left me desiring. The pool area looked awful!! Cardboard wrapped pillars and rust and chlorine stains all around. I read another review about toilets not working properly and brushed it off. When I walked in my room the toilet was running. Jiggle of the handle every flush. Breakfast was good though crowded at opening.

• Stayed October 2011
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Picked this motel because of their free shuttle service to and from the Amtrak station. We had a one room king suite which was nice. We have reservations for October for the same room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FLtraveler1988
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rensselaer
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany-East Greenbush
Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany East Greenbush
Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley
Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Greenbush
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Gr...
#1 of 2 in Castleton On Hudson
Renaissance Albany Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)? Share your experiences!