“Best restaurant in the Red Hook/Rhinebeck area”
Review of Mercato

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
new york
“Best restaurant in the Red Hook/Rhinebeck area”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

As devoted NYC "foodies" and weekend residents of Dutchess county, we're thrilled that we can drive 5 minutes to Mercato in our funky little town of Red Hook. The food is amazing, and also makes intelligent use of the local Hudson Valley bounty. We live in Brooklyn, in an area with more than its share of wonderful Italian restaurants, but Mercato beats them all. We have been fans of Chef Francesco before he moved to his adorable current location, and find his menu to be a pretty much perfect combinaton of comforting and inventive. I particularly love the chicken liver bruschetta and any of the various pastas (highly recommend home made ravioli in sage/butter sauce), and the main courses are always interesting and tasty. We've been to Mercato fairly often since it opened, and have not experienced any of the staff issues discussed here. In fact, despite a changing wait staff, they have always seemed consistently young, sweet and aiming to please...but perhaps that is because we tend to be more relaxed and forgiving once we're outside the city environs! We usually take our visiting city friends here, and they all can't wait to return. At any rate, do not miss Mercato - you'll be cheating yourself if you do. BRAVO, Francesco-- thanks for making our Red Hook weekends even better!!!

2 Thank SheilaAndGreg

PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fabulous dining experience!”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

In our travels to the Hudson Valley, we have tried many of the area's restaurants. However, our most recent visit was made much more memorable by our dinner at Mercato in Red Hook. This was our first time having dinner here, and it exceeded our expectations. It has a comfortable, simple atmosphere. Our server was attentive despite that it was very busy in the restaurant the night we were there. Having an interest in Italian wines, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection at this restaurant. They offered a good selection of the wines you would expect to see, as well as quite a few out of the ordinary Italian wines. All of which were at reasonable price points considering the quality and difficulty to access some of the unique wines.
The food was equally as impressive. It is easy to see the amount of care that went into every dish. The high quality and mostly local ingredients, paired with the skill of the kitchen staff makes the food at Mercato shine. Our entire table enjoyed their meal. Everyone particularly enjoyed the kale salad and the antipasto platter. We can't wait to dine here again on our next trip to the Hudson Valley.

1 Thank Thomas Q
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Before you die - EAT HERE!!!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This amazing husband and wife team have created an incredible wine bar and eatery far away from the confines and attitudes of New York City. When I arrive at this quaint eatery I quickly grab a seat at the bar, place my order, then sit back and watch the energy of this 'laid back but happening northern Dutchess restaurant'. One must not miss the broccoli rabe appetizer nor the chicken entree. Don't be embarrassed to ask the helpful staff about their all Italian wine list. The worst part is that sometimes I have to ask the staff to repeat themselves to be heard over the din!

1 Thank WilliamFNY
New York, NY
“WOW - Food this good in Red Hook? Pinch me!”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Desperate for great food in Dutchess county? Look no further....You want to eat at Mercato, again and again. Although Mercato experienced some initial growing pains, the finally fine-tuned front and back of the house have 'paired' well and are producing some of the finest meals I have ever eaten outside of NYC.

The chef-owner and his wife have 'poured' their souls into the wine list. After the initial surprise that these wines were actually available north of Manhattan - the prices are reasonable and the wines are approachable, especially with the help of their knowledgeable staff.

Don't miss out on the kale salad or the chicken bruschetta for appetizers. I alternate the tagliatelle bolognese with the hanger steak for my main course, both are delicious. For dessert, well in my dreams, I would have another chicken bruschetta, but in the presence of company I enjoy a glass of Moscato.

If you are heading north on the thruway it is WELL worth the deviation across the bridge to dine here. Don't miss it - you will be sorry (and hungry!).

1 Thank Montaukvet
Red Hook, N.Y.
“Almost a victim of it's success”
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My foodknowledgable wife and I have dined there regularly over the past two years. At it's onset it was somewhat raffish and seemed to lack a sense of order. It then became THE place in northern Dutchess. With that though, there was indeed an 'attitude' one felt from the wait staff. In the back, you could observe the owner/chef going borderline postal, but aren't all successfull artists entitled to some deviations? Recently, things are much better, the staff is actually nicer and no longer repeats things slower and louder to us. Hey - the food...this is as close to dining in Italy as you can get. The portions are not 'gavone'. If you order an app. and an entree, you'll be sated. FOOD IS GREAT !!!

3 Thank gregmonk

Been to Mercato? Share your experiences!