“Sophisticated Italian cuisine in Red Hook”
Review of Mercato

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Paris
“Sophisticated Italian cuisine in Red Hook”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We ate at Mercato 2 nights in a row and really enjoyed both meals. The food is basically Italian but more creative than the regular fare. The starters include interesting salad combinations, yummy octopus and a perfect caprese with local heritage tomatoes. Main dishes include several pasta choices and meat options. I had the risotto on the first night which included delicious quail; the rice however tasted more like regular rice than risotto. My son and husband really enjoyed the pasta dishes (especially the ravioli with sage butter.) The wine list was good and the dessert choices included homemade gelatos which were delicious. As a gluten-free person I had many options on the menu, including a delicious apricot and nut tart tonight (with gluten-free pastry). Ambiance is cosy, especially liked the lighting with candles on the tables. Service is friendly but not invasive.

• Visited August 2014

Dobbs Ferry, New York
“The right place at the right time”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We were looking for a nice place for dinner after a performance at Bard College's music festival that would actually be on our route home (in lower Westchester County). Mercato met both criteria nicely, though it was more casual than I expected and a lot noisier than we would have liked. Conversation was difficult, especially as more and more people arrived, many of them no doubt from the same performance we had been at. We asked our waitress for quick service so we could get back on the road and she obliged. My husband and I had the Mercato salad that tasted very good but had obviously been dressed in advance and was soggy. He had the seafood risotto and said it was good but was really more like a paella than a risotto. I had the blackboard fish special - tile fish served over vegetable quinoa and it was delicious.

• Visited July 2014
Milan, NY
“Semplicemente Suplime”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

All to often, we; I, tend to only submit reviews only when traveling yet overlook the very places that make living in my area, NY's Hudson Valley, a most wonderful experience on a daily basis. Mercato - Osteria & Enoteca is just that place. Chef Buitoni wouldn't have it any other way. He clearly enjoys preparing the most delicious Italian dishes using locally sourced, fresh, ingredients that change with the season. And his homemade pasta, well, did I mention his surname? Solo, or with friends or family, you will leave completely sated. My favorite antipasti: chicken liver bruschetta & grilled octopus. Buon appetite!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gary D
New York City, New York
“What's Not to Love?”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The room is warm, the reception inviting, the service cordial, friendly, and professional. The food is as fresh, regional, and delicious as you will find in Italy, where i travel every year. The tables are plenty big, and well spaced. There is just nothing about this place that you cannot like...

• Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“Always worth a visit”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This restaurant does not merit an Excellent but it is better than Very Good. I have eaten here many times and I always look forward to going when I am in the region. It is great to eat food from a kitchen that could be in New York City but is in a lovely country environment. The chef understands the simplicity of Italian food and its ingredients and puts them together properly with a very good wine list. This does not seem on the surface to be a difficult task however when going out into the hinterlands of America what passes for Italian food is an embarrassment. The atmosphere is terrific and the staff sweet and friendly. It is always a pleasure, even when not perfect.

• Visited April 2014

Been to Mercato? Share your experiences!