“Disappointing”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Rhinebeck, New York
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at Mercato several times and have had a good experience--interesting, well prepared food served in a comfortable dining room with attentive service. On first look our most recent meal seemed to follow the pattern, but it didn't. The $12.00 shaved artichoke salad was small and rather bland (a theme for the evening); however, the grilled octopus salad was delicious--sweet and tender and accompanied by a salad of shaved fennel, haricots verts, red peppers, and olives. Just what I expect at Mercato. The main course, described as braised bison short ribs (two very small pieces of meat) coated with "porcini flour" and cooked with cocoa, served on a bed of saffron risotto, was like the boring, bland version of pot roast my mother used to make (not worth a trip back home). Another diner had a farro pasta dish which he pronounced "boring." Although the restaurant was far from full, we had a very hard time getting the attention of a server (any server) to get the pepper grinder to try to put some flavor in the food. Not what I expect from this restaurant--

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Rhinebecker

Millbrook, New York
“Not merely the best in Red Hook”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

which isn't saying a great deal. It's the best in the whole area, in part because of the simplicity and warmth of setting as well as the reliably fine food and, yes, the service which i have always found to be friendly. I just read the reviews here giving but one star to this restaurant. I do that sometimes for amusement and have come to the unscientific conclusion that those who seem so easily affronted by what they consider bad and inconsideration treatment must bring some rather dubious qualities of their own to that interaction.

• Visited February 2013
Germantown, New York
“Simple and Splendid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I first met Anthony Buitoni, the chef/owner of Mercato, when he cavme into a local bookstore I managed. He and his wife opened the restaurant about ten years ago. If the name seems familiar, you're right. John's family, from Italy, is the purveyor of Buitoni pastas. The restaurant was the young couples' dream, and it just gets better and better.

Last night, I celebrated my birthday there with friends. The service continues to be swift, friendly and charming, the wine list marvelous. And the food, oh, the food! Always the finest, freshest ingredients, cooked to perfection. An interesting, sophisticated Northern Italian menu. You can watch Anthony cooking in the remarkably small open kitchen, and he always comes over to meet and chat with his customers.

The decor is simple, creating a fairly open feeling in a small space. A second room was opened as Mercato became more and more successful. Polished wood floors look great, but I have to say they may be responsible for the noise, which is the only drawback to this excellent place. On the other hand, there is always a happy, friendly atmosphere. It's almost inevitable you'll meet interesting people there.

Some suggestions: the best prosciutto and mozzarella appetizer ever, and last night's ravioli heavenly, followed by superb, tender hanger steak. A divine birthday dinner.

• Visited February 2013
Rhinebeck, New York
“Another great meal--”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at Mercato several times and I am always impressed with the innovative menu, the quality of the food, and the quiet, yet attentive service. On a recent Saturday night, we called late in the day and were able to make a reservation for 5:45. I had the kale salad and a very interesting pasta dish--a combination of farro pasta, broccoli, shrimp, butternut squash, and fontina cheese. It might sound strange, but it was delicious. My husband had perfectly cooked hanger steak and a poached pear for dessert. I have to say that I'm surprised by some of the so-so reviews. I suggest that you go and see for yourself how good the food is at Mercato.

Red Hook, New York
“Good not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here because of a lot of good reviews on tripadvisor.We had a 6:00 reservation on a Friday night,when we arrived it was fairly quiet.We started with two glasses of Pinot Grigio which was great. The waitress was very helpful with our questions and just very pleasant to deal with.I had an appetizer wich was one of the specials of eggplant rollatini,my wife had a salad both good not great. For dinner I had braised bison short ribs my wife had a penne dish again good not great. We both had dessert Tera misu and chocolate tort both very good ( not great ) all in all I would go back but not my first choice.

1 Thank Fletch896