Hearthstone Motel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Red Hook
See available hotels
Courtyard Kingston(Kingston)
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
Great 4.5/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We love it here. Our third trip to attend Bard graduation. We will return even after our daughter has graduated. If you want Holiday Inn, go to Kingston. If you want clean, safe, roomy logding in the 55 mph tradition of the Taconic go to the Hearthstone Motel, family owned and operated, surrounded by nature, on a rise overlooking an orchard for spectacular sunsets over the Hudson. It's a privilege to be here.

Room Tip: Turner Classic Movies is on Channel 66. Hearthstone room is huge, may be hard to heat in winter. A short drive to many good places to eat.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank debtheo
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

No not stay here Norman bates place with no heat what the u no what I mean it's in the 20s might we have an igloo but not to heat the room, dang it's cold, is this guy nuts, only thing that sold it was the beautiful sunsets through the window. But would I come back, no. We had no clean sheets for two weeks at minimum, we had to ask for clean towels if we got them at all and had to buy our on toilet paper. The lighting in the bathroom only worked part-time and when they did work it made this awful buzzing sound that really got on my nerves. Oh, and get this we had to by our own ceramic heater! Does he not believe in heating the rooms. Not until October and this is in upstate New York.

Room Tip: There is a pet deposit but cats are not pets I guess considering he would not allow my cat to stay. The reason we were staying in a hotel is because we lost everything when hurricane Irene blew through the northern east coast. So without saying I thought that was pretty mean and inconsiderate on the owners part. The cost for our stay for one month was about $1,200. That's a high price for being miserable most of the month.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Butterflyfaery
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2011

This is a classic example of “no good deed goes unpunished”.

I’m sure by reading our guest’s grammar and spelling errors, you can tell that she must have been in one of her drug hazes, again. Ms.“butterflyfaery” (Trip Advisor does not allow us to use her real name) also forgets to mention that she did not pay for the room, her parents did. If she did, maybe she would realize that her parents paid $800, not the $1200 she claimed to have paid. Her parents came here on September 1, 2011 and looked at the room with butterflyfaery present. She said she liked the room. We then discussed our pet policy, the price, and my concerns about her smoking. We have all non-smoking rooms. I guess now I realize why they didn’t want butterflyfaery to stay with them, for this trip. After two weeks I observed drug use and cigarette smoking in the room. I called butterflyfaery’s parents and explained to them what their daughter had been up too, and why I was asking her to leave. * I told them they would receive a 2-week refund, at that time. Butterflyfaery’s parents practically begged me to keep her and told me that they were “God fearing people” and would put the fear of God in her, thereby straightening her out. I explained to butterflyfaery’s parents that I do not run that type of establishment and would rather her not stay here, if she had a drug habit. They then proceeded to tell me to let her stay because “we are her parents and promise you that there will not be any more problems.” Knowing her parents to be good people, I went against my better judgment and let her stay, trusting that her parents would take care of the problem. What I failed to realize was the fallout when her parents let her know what I told them. At this point, butterflyfaery locked herself in the room for 3 days, with AC blasting in 65-degree weather, with the windows wide open. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out what she was up to.
At this point I asked her to leave, which she did. Now, due to my extended kindness to butterflyfaery’s parents, I get a nasty write up on here. My advice for butterflyfaery: stop doing drugs, get a job, get a life, and stop having your parents take care of you at 32 years old because, unfortunately, your parents are the ones who walk away with the egg on their faces.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Our room, #4, was in OK condition. The beds were fine, the place appeared clean, it was quiet (on the other hand only two of the eight rooms were occupied), the AC worked and so did everything else that had to work.
It was half the price, or less, than other area places charged.
The man who ran it was friendly, despite other comments to the contrary.
We picked it as a place to sleep while visiting relatives summering in the area, at a fairer price than others demanded, not based upon the decor.
If you are after decor, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank QualityMatters2Me
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This motel is a wonderful place to stay. The front desk staff were very friendly, our room was fairly spacious, and the motel was extremely clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank cappucinomix888
Reviewed May 25, 2011

My stay at this motel was perfect. I was there for a function at Bard College- it is a perfect location for this. The room was no frills, but in no way lacking. Not a luxury stay, if your going for style this isn't the place for you. But, if what you need is a clean room with 2 comfortable beds, microwave, refrigerator, tv, ac and heat, plus a standard, clean bathroom-this is the place. The service was great. Owner/manager were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Bonus, owner's adorable dog Otter will say hello if you're a dog person. Smoking is allowed on patio in front of rooms where tables chairs and ash trays are provided. The room also had a wall of windows with a really pretty view of the mountains and sun. Across the street nursery is also pretty to look at. Very quiet. Nearby store for coffee and breakfast. Plenty of parking right in front of rooms. Lots of flowers and nature behind the motel. I saw a hummingbird from my window. They also had wifi, ask for the password when you check in.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends