“Horrible experience, keep driving.”
Review of Tail O'The Pup

Tail O'The Pup
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ray Brook
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Nashville, Tennessee
“Horrible experience, keep driving.”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Like others have said, food is mediocre at best, my ribs were rubbery and full of cartilage, and both my and my wifes fries were soggy and greasy. Our waitress was sweet but that's about the only silver lining. Needless to say this will be the first and last time my family ever stops at tail o the pup. Also need to mention, food is way overpriced for the quality in my opinion. The salad was alright though, but hey, it's pretty hard to screw up a salad.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank John M

Rochester, New York
“Worst restaurant meal ever”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I figured we would give this place a shot after passing it so many times. Biggest mistake we have many on our many trips to this area. My wife got the fish fry which was two fish triangles on waffle fries. I got the ribs which were nearly uneatable - either fatty, cartilage or shoe leather tough about 10% was any good. The sides were bland and with all of the gnats and flies around we spent more time trying to get rid of them.
All I can say is stay away...there are plenty of other better places to go to in the area - McDonalds would be a step up from what we experienced tonight food wise and I am sure less bugs.

• Visited September 2013
7 Thank Gene B
King George, Virginia
“Tail o' the Pup Wags!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Who'da thunk you'd find delicious, southern-style barbecue in the heart of the Adirondacks?! From the moment you see this nostalgic structure, the treed picnic table dining area, and huge, crazy looking lobster you might think you've been transported to somewhere below the Mason-Dixon line. The curbside appeal quickly vanished when I looked over the menu and began pre-calculating my bill. Nonetheless, we were hungry and my clan was salivating from the sweet, smoky smells eminating from the kitchen, For $13.99, my barbecue dinner plate consisted of a healthy portion of pork barbecue and ice cream scoop-sized portions of baked beans of cole slaw. While I enjoyed the meal, I think $10.99 would've been more reasonable.So, the food was a little pricey, but my wife, kids - ages 9, 11, 13, and 19 - and I all enjoyed it and were stuffed. Altogether our bill came to $91. Besides the food, my high rating includes the above average service. The three waitresses were busy, but they were friendly, courteous, and professional and our food was in front of us in less than 20 minutes.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Steven D
Philadelphia
“Unique BBQ spot”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

You can't miss the sign for Tail o the Pup when driving from Lake Placid to Saranac Lake. We just had to stop there and check it out! There is a big tent, a bunch of cabins (some set us kitchens, one as a little store and rental office and some as lodging), a playground and a campfire IIRC. We ordered a BBQ pork sandwich to go but considered going back later in the eve to enjoy some live music and beer. It took a while for the sandwich to be ready but that gave us time to check out the funky lodging on site! It would be a great place for college kids to stay or maybe a family on a budget. Could enjoy good BBQ, beer and music then crash in the cabin for the night.

The sandwich was tasty and I would like to go back again for the live music in a fun atmosphere.

Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Dinner”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great BBQ .
We always stop there when we're in the Lake Placid - Saranac area.
Food is good and reasonably priced with great atmosphere.
Robert Tobin