“Simply Amazing”

Raquette Lake Navigation Co
More attraction details
Owner description: Cruise and dine or just cruise on Raquette Lake aboard the WW Durant. Breath-taking scenery, fascinating history and delicious food combine to create an experience you can't wait to do again. Choose a luncheon cruise, intimate or traditional dinner cruise, Sunday brunch, sightseeing excursion or moonlight cruise. Cruising daily in July and August through Labor Day. Full public schedule weekends in Sept through Columbus Day weekend. Midweek in the fall individuals may piggyback with a preformed group. Nurture your mind, body and soul with a cruise aboard the WW Durant! Special events on the Durant are our specialty! If history is your thing, then be sure to sign up for one of our Pine Knot guided tours. Wine and beer tastings and pairings sell out, so reserve early! A Jimmy Buffet-themed cruise on Sat of July 4th weekend will celebrate our independence Margaritaville-style. There's also a Murder Mystery Who Done It Cruise and a Comedy Cruise. Have I tickled your curiosity bone? Check us out online! We are ready to welcome you aboard the WW Durant!
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Truly a wonderful experience from start to finish. We went on the dinner and Saranac beer pairing cruise. The food was out of this world. The service was impeccable, The boat is absolutely beautiful. The scenery is just stunning. The execution of all the courses and beer samplings went seamlessly. Every staff member was spot on. The food was timed perfectly. Definitely a class act. I actually debated on booking this but so glad I did. Well worth the price we paid. Its clear they take a lot of pride in the boat and the food and the business. It really shows. Everyone we encountered was exceptionally friendly and genuine. It was definitely a highlight of our vacation. After we visited the Tap Room, which is in walking distance, for a nightcap. Got the opportunity to chat with the chef from the boat and some of the staff from the brewery. Great down to earth people! I would recommend this to anyone who loves food and appreciates great service. Can't wait to go back next year.

2  Thank Deborah A
MadonnaUpstate_ny, Owner at Raquette Lake Navigation Co, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write about your experience on the WW Durant. The best advertising is word of mouth and we thank you.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Sometimes when you live fairly close to a popular attraction it is easy to take it for granted and perhaps not ever experience it at all. Such it was with my wife and I. We have lived here on the southern tip of the Adirondacks for almost 15 years. In that time we had driven past the quaint little settlement of Raquette Lake several times, but never stopped. Our son's lady friend was telling us about having worked their several years ago and how nice it was. We decided to check it out.

We booked this as a dinner cruise and tried to plan it for when we thought the leaves would be at their peak color. I misjudged how much difference there is in only 70 Adirondack miles though. Where our leaves are at peak here, they were much farther along up there and some trees were bare already. If you book a cruise planning to see leaves I suggest doing it a week or two earlier.

When you drive up be sure to come an hour or so early. There is a little general store there and at one end of it a quaint little taproom full of friendly locals, snacks and brews. I even ran into an old friend there I had not seen in years. Who'd a thunk it?

The WW Durant is a beautiful old craft and it has been lovingly cared for and piloted by Capt Pohl for many years. Mrs Pohl is the First Mate and is in charge of running the operation. Their son is an accomplished chef trained at the American Culinary Institute and trained well I might add. The staff are, with the exception of one young lady, that has only been aboard for a year, longtime hands with years of experience. They are all wonderful folks and perform their
tasks like a well oiled machine. Without exception they are as friendly, professional and customer friendly as you will find anywhere.

As Captain Pohl steers the Durant around the twists and turns of this beautiful lake, he swings in close to shore making picture taking very easy. All the while he is narrating the history of the area and the people who have lived there for generations.

When we first boarded and were shown to our reserved seats we were seated with a couple we had never met before. By the time the cruise was over we had become good friends and exchanged personal information so that we could keep in contact and meet again next year for a moonlight cruise. This is a great place to meet friendly people. The ambiance fosters fun and friendship all around.

When Mrs Pohl announced that appetizers were being served below, we all filed down to see what the offerings were. I was surprised and delighted to find a huge bowl of large juicy shrimp with a tangy horseradish sauce. Another large platter contained a bubbly Brie cheese baked with maple syrup. I have eaten many a Brie, but this one tops the list. It was silky, smooth and delicious. After piling our plates we all proceeded back topside to enjoy our repast and the trip.

About an hour later we were hailed again to be seated for dinner. The odors coming from the tiny galley made my mouth water. I am a true foodie and my nose knows great food when it smells it. I was not to be disappointed.

We started with a very generous. micro green salad. It was fresh, crisp and topped with chopped scallions and sunflower seeds. It was finished with a wonderful Balsamic dressing. Baskets of fresh bread and real butter were on hand as well. The main course for everyone except for me was baked salmon, I was the single person aboard that had ordered the seared Ahi tuna. All meals were served a marinated cucumber side and large helping of creamy garlic mashed potatoes. The chef personally asked how my tuna was. It was added last minute and I only ordered it because I called just as he was deciding to add it to the menu. It was absolutely perfect with a crust of, I think crushed nuts and garlic, and a still pink inside, flaky, tender and juicy. Desert was a choice of Bananas Foster or Creme Brule. We had the Brule which was creamy and smooth with a perfectly torched crispy top. It was delicious to the last drop. Our new friends had the Foster and also reported it to be delicious. Thank you Chef Pohl for a truly outstanding dining experience. We have not eaten any better in any 5 star NYC restaurant.

All too soon the Durant was docking and it was time to say goodbye. As we disembarked everyone from Captain to crew greeted us personally and thanked us for coming. I enjoyed the opportunity to thank them all for my wonderful experience and promised to return next year. We then bade our new friends adieu and happily returned home to our side of the mountain.

Please visit this beautiful place and experience for yourself this one of a kind cruise. You will be glad you did.

2  Thank avatheps
MadonnaUpstate_ny, Owner at Raquette Lake Navigation Co, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for your detailed review. Don't be a stranger! See you next year!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Went on the W.W. Durant last night and it could not have possibly been better. The weather, scenery, service and dinner were all equally awesome! When visiting the Adirondack, you MUST put this on your "to do" list!

1  Thank Max72fli
MadonnaUpstate_ny, Owner at Raquette Lake Navigation Co, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you. You're right. This past weekend was spectacular for foliage and weather. So glad you could experience what we offer in such a spectacular setting!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My sisters and me took my Mom up to the Old Forge area for a girls weekend. This is a great trip for seniors. We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon on Raquette Lake. The ship is a family owned business. So we felt very much at home on the cruise. They made everyone feel welcome and took good care of us.

We did a lunch cruise on Saturday. Drinks were served on the top deck while everyone was boarding. As the ship left the dock the captain began his wonderful narration of the area, which lasted throughout the trip. It was very informative. The buffet lunch was served on the 1st deck which was enclosed. The wait staff called groups by table which allowed everyone to comfortably get their food and take a seat. Drinks were brought to the table and seconds were encouraged after everyone went through the line and took their seats.

Check out their web site for the menu - prepared by the son! It was excellent. The maple bread pudding served for dessert was to die for!

1  Thank mblodgett
MadonnaUpstate_ny, Owner at Raquette Lake Navigation Co, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to express your appreciation. Your satisfaction and happiness with choosing a cruise on the WW Durant is of upmost importance to us.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our 1 year anniversary on the 25th we went on this cruise which was excellent food staff atmospher everythin jst wonderful. Highly reccomended!

1  Thank mandi13460

Thanks so much for your kind words. Intimate dining is the best experience-lots more room, quieter, more leisurely pace. Hope to see you on a cruise next year!