“A beautifully preserved piece of Adirondack history”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raquette Lake
Great Camp Sagamore
Suburban Phila
“A beautifully preserved piece of Adirondack history”
Reviewed August 22, 2005

This century-old Adirondack "Great Camp" once owned by the Vanderbilts (not to be confused with the Sagamore Hotel on Lake George) sits on a peninsula several miles down a forest road from the town of Raquette Lake. It's been preserved and maintained in recent years by a nonprofit historic-preservation organization. As such, it's not run as a typical resort or hotel, but as an historic landmark that offers lodging in conjunction with its educational/cultural programs. People looking to be catered to, resort-style, will be disappointed -- you need to make your own beds, there are no bellhops, concierges, waiters, TVs, phones, Internet, or cell service, and the cuisine is just a few steps up from summer camp. But for those who can appreciate the beautiful Adirondack setting and the opportunity to experience a little of the world of the richest of the rich "roughing it" in the deep woods 100 years ago, it's a rare pleasure. The "camp" consists of a main lodge, a dining hall, some subsidiary lodgings, and a variety of other buildings like a boathouse, a playhouse, and a (no longer working) open-air bowling alley. Canoes and rowboats are freely available and well worth taking out on the lake, there's a ferny 4-mile walking path around the lake, and a myriad of other places to explore. The programs are thoughtfully presented - my family went for a "Summer Songfest" weekend ($339 adult, $139 child, including all lodging, meals, events & facilities for the entire weekend), featuring several local and very talented bluegrass/folk musicians who played, formally and informally, throughout the weekend, including a campfire singalong. They also have more historically-oriented programs, and some grandparent-grandchildren sessions (no parents allowed). One of the best rooms for a family (which we happened to get) is #1 in the main lodge, which was the Vanderbilts' former master bedroom. Not inexpensive, but well worth the cost.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank Ushuaian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed July 2, 2003

I stayed here for a weekend. I made reservations by phone and since I was alone was quoted (and later paid) a single supplement. However, after I had gone to bed the first evening there was a knockon the door.
I asked through the door who it was and the answer was that it was the person who was going to share the room with me. I refused to let her in. She went away but returned a few minutes later with a staff member who insisted that I had to share the room. I pointed out that I had paid a single supplement and that no one had ever mentioned having to share the room with a total stranger. They kept insisting but I held fast and they finally went away. However, the entire staff was extremely uncordial the entire weekend.

The food was just awful. I had been told that if I wasn't going to be able to make it up Friday evening in time for dinner, I should call so the chef could prepare accordingly. I made it for dinner and the meal was chili. Why do they have to know if one person more or less will be there for chili? Dessert was commercial fruit salad straight from the freezer. They hadn't even taken it out in time to fully thaw. The rest of the meals were equally disappointing. I left early Sunday morning.

31 Thank DoggeyMom
Clark's Beach Motel
Clark's Beach Motel
#10 of 12 in Old Forge
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc

Been to Great Camp Sagamore? Share your experiences!