“A Nice Escape from Networked World”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raquette Lake
Great Camp Sagamore
Loudonville, New York, United States
“A Nice Escape from Networked World”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This rustic great camp is over a hundred years old, but the luxurious accomodations this camp has to offer rival luxury hotels. I stayed in the Main Lodge with my Adirondack Experience class, and stayed in a nice sized room for two with a classmate. The place is very clean, even the "communal" bathrooms, which feel more like you are in your bathroom at home than at a campground. The food is great, there are many places to hike and explore and there is a lot of history to this place. The old game room is a great place to relax and right next door is an outdoor bowling alley! You can take kayaks or canoes out on the lake. You can have a campfire at the lean-two at night, which I highly recommend. It is alot of fun if you go there with friends and just want to hang out without the pressures of cell phones and the Internet constantly hounding at you like they do "back in civilization." It was nice to escape for a few days, and I would do it again! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patrick Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Loudonville, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I went to Camp Sagamore with a class, at first I was skeptical because I was under the impression we would be really roughing it. To my pleasant surprise I found that the Great Camp gave the illusion of roughing it. The main lodge was beautiful and learning the history of all of the buildings was extremely interesting. The food was fantastic. It was served buffet style and juice, water, coffee and tea were available at all hours. The fact that there was no service or television was surprisingly relaxing. The tours we went on were very educational. My favorite part was the hike, we hiked around the lake and it was beautiful. The pictures I took were great and I couldn’t wait to show my friends and family. I recommend a stay a Camp Sagamore for everyone! It was an experience I will never forget!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KK l
Loudonville, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had a great experience! It gave the illiusion that we were "roughing it" while in reality we were living in heated buildings. It was really cool to see such a cool historical landmark, and then actually get to sleep in it. The food was amazing, the staff was friendly and I would reccomend Sagamore to my friends! My favorite parts of the trip was the nature hike around the lake, and the bowling alley! I'm glad I went to Sagamore, it was very educational.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pleasanton, Ca
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We enjoyed a fun experience during Road Scholar's Fall 2012 program. It would have been better without the occasional rain, but that's life in the Adirondacks. I was on a nostalgic revisit because during my teen years, I worked at another one of the many hotels that surrounded Fourth Lake during the 1950's. In my mind Fall in the Adirondacks is excellent with the magnificent colors surrounding the many lakes. The meals at Great Camp Sagamore were adequate, but not gourmet. The accommodations were adequate, but not first class due to sharing bathing facilities. The lectures provided an excellent insight into the Gilded age of the 1900's through 1920's.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We attended a Road Scholar program at Great Camp Sagamore. The program was excellent with in depth study of the age of great camps. We stayed in Alfred's cottage which is situated right on the lake. The cottage had two rooms and bath. The porch provided privacy and overlooked the lake. It was a short walk to the dining hall.

The food was outstanding, served buffet style and often a twist on a standard dish. There is coffee, juice and fruit available 24 hours a day. Wi-Fi is available in the dining hall and reading room. There is no cell phone service or television, what a treat. Enjoy the canoes or play a game of croqette.

The Road Scholar program provides the only chance to visit Uncas, J P Morgan's summer camp. It is a once in a lifetime experience for us to visit the piece of history and stay where so many prominent people were invited as guests.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Hobomonty
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My partner and I had the memorable occasion to spend a weekend as guests as Camp Sagamore in July 2012, having registered to attend their “History of the Gilded Age” weekend.

I was immediately smitten with Sagamore when I saw photos on-line while researching a vacation through the Adirondacks. Having a particularly romantic interest in those eras that were simply too extravagant to sustain (Gilded Age, English Country Houses, etc.), I was excited enough to see an authentic “Great Camp” open for public tours – most didn’t survive into the 1940s-50s, if even that long, and the few that still remain are privately held. But when I learned that you can actually SPEND THE NIGHT here, surrounded by the echoes of the past – I knew it was a one-of-a-kind experience I had to have!

Despite some negative reviews I’d read on Trip Advisor – more on that in a bit – I provided the non-refundable deposit, a not insubstantial amount of money that I rationalized as a “charitable donation to historic preservation” just in case the weekend didn’t turn out as well as I was hoping. Ultimately, our experience of Camp Sagamore far surpassed expectations, leaving us with memories we’ll long cherish and the hope that years from now, Camp Sagamore will still be there, sustained by folks like us who want to help preserve this special place of history.

First, let me state what Camp Sagamore is NOT: It is NOT a luxury resort with 600-thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets; there are no en-suite bathrooms; you will not eat gourmet meals here; there is no swimming pool, cabana, concession stand, or game room. There is no cell phone service. Depending on the time of year you visit, you may be beset by black flies and any number of other swarming pests.

What CAN you expect while “in camp” at Sagamore? Modest, clean guest rooms with original furnishings and finishing touches that transport you, in your mind, to a by-gone era. Hearty, cafeteria-style meals are taken with your fellow campers at designated times in the large dining hall – the ringing dinner bell can be heard all over camp! Water lovers can splash about in the cool ripples of Lake Sagamore or paddle one of the Camp’s canoes to the pines on the far shore. Kids and adults alike will enjoy a campfire with s ‘mores and good conversation. Peace and quiet provides plenty of opportunity to just sit in one of the Camp’s Adirondack chairs, thinking about what it must have been like to have been a guest of the Vanderbilts at Camp Sagamore in 1897, or even Vanderbilt himself. All-in-all, utterly, utterly bewitching.

Some Trip Advisor reviews – most submitted by those who have visited Camp Sagamore only for a 2-hour public tour – have commented negatively on things like Camp Sagamore’s inaccessibility (4 bumpy miles from the main road and “civilization” – as it was originally intended to protect the privacy of the ultra-rich) and the fact that so many areas of the camp are restricted (this is intentional as well, to protect the privacy and the experience that overnight guests such as myself paid to have).

It was very clear to us that all of the employees of Camp Sagamore – most of whom live on-site in the season to support overnight guests and ensure we have a fantastic experience – care very deeply and sincerely about preserving the history of this magnificent place…not just the physical buildings themselves but also “the mystique” and the personal stories of all who were so intimately a part of it – both those who served and those who were served.

If you can spend the night at Camp Sagamore, that’s really the best way to experience all of its secrets. Walk around by yourself at dawn’s first light and notice all of the little details that are still here; listen for the echoes of the past.

MAGIC.

Room Tip: There is only one guest room on the first floor of the main lodge, almost ensuring that you will hav...