“You get what you pay for...”
Review of Red Roof Inn

Red Roof Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The only reason we chose this hotel is because of the discount in "Room Saver" magazine.

It is "no frills". If you only need a space to lay your head, this is the place.

The cleanliness of the rooms, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 7, 2009

One night spent at the Red Roof Inn was enough. From the outside the place looks promising. One would hope so considering the $149/night we paid for our room. Unfortunately though, this wasn't the case.

Upon entering the check-in area we were greeted by a stench similar to that of tuna. This smell lingered for most of the night and made its way up and into the hallway where our room was. The check-in clerk was very anti social and dressed in a stained, white cutoff t-shirt. After receiving one key for a group of three, we headed for our room.

The room was quite large and had a microwave and mini fridge. The bathroom featured granite countertops and hard wood floors. The positives end there though. Paint was peeling from the walls, beds were severely uncomfortable and the carpet had seen better days. The walls are also very thin. This allowed us to hear the all-night party going on across the hall.

The property states they have a "business center," but really it's no more than a computer in the lobby. Good luck trying to use it. When we tried the front desk employee was using it to watch videos on YouTube. This same employee questioned me when I asked for an extra set of towels since we had three people in our room and there were only two sets provided. He didn't think we needed an extra set, but reluctantly obliged.

There are plenty of other lodging options in the area. Unfortunately we waited too long to book our room and got stuck with Red Roof. If you're planning a visit to the area, book early. You will not only save money, but you'll also have a better selection of hotels to choose from. At least its close proximity to The Great Escape was a plus.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We were forced to use a Redicard Reward Certificate as a result of the shaky and sleezy practices when one tries to redeem a Room Saver (walk in) coupon, advertised for $49.99 for this property. When I did call ahead to verify validity, the day check in staff informs the coupon is $69.99 (not $49.99) AND there is a $30.00 surcharge for the month of August (not posted at all on the coupon) . . . Note we used an exact same coupon the nite before at Albany Red Roof (corporate owned) at they accepted with no
tricks or surcharge. Queensbury Red Roof is FRANCHISED, so they can pull off this type of scam with no shame. Our reservation with the Reward Certificate was for a king bed. At check in we are informed they cannot accomodate accordingly; only a queen bed is available (we reluctantly accepted). There was an effort to fleece us, when the slick check in staff asks "Will you be paying cash?" I did remind him this was a reward certificate stay (no apology offered) and he ceased this sleezy tactic.

One hour after getting comfortable in our room, the phone rings and we are now informed a king bed is available. How many guests do you know that would re-pack, get dressed, and willingly re-locate for
another room? Sheer stupidity on the front desk, and of course we were further angered by this tactic.

We completed our stay without further incident, checked out, and have since filed a complaint with Red Roof Corporate guest relations. As of this writing there has been no favorable response, but I do sense this property has a history of guest abuse, and operates "as they wish", utilizing their franchise
(non corporate managed) status to their advantage.

Queensbury Red Roof operates far below the standards of most Red Roof properties across the U.S.
It is also fair to state the rooms are clean, quiet, and well maintained. The Red Roof lobby coffee dispensing machine operates to Red Roof standards (for the present), and because this is a franchised property, their cable TV is actually better than standard Red Roof property selections.

There are alot of competitive chain properties in the area, as well as restaurant selections. Traffic can be intense during summer months, on single lane highway 9.

If you decide to stay here, suggest you get your confirmation in writing, and do not hesitate to use the Red Roof guest relations buffer if they try to rip you off.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thunderstormer
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I called the front desk twice during the time I was making reservations to double check that the rate I was getting was $88. I was told that was the price I would be getting the room for because this was a last minute weekend trip. I arrived at the hotel and asked if we could bring the dog (it is a pet friendly hotel) into the lobby with us because it was hot as could be in the car. They said yes but then shot us dirty looks once he was inside with us. They gave us the room key and we went to the room and couldn't get in. So my husband went back and they swipped it again and it still didn't work. FINALLY, the maids helped us and got us in the room. THE MAIDS! Can you believe it??

THEN we couldn't get the air conditioning to work so I called the front desk. The Indian man running the show yelled at me saying they did have air conditioning and he was coming!! I told him forget it, I didn't want his help. What a jerk.

That night, the hotel was sooooooo noisy. Kids partying upstairs from our room. I didn't sleep more than 30 minutes at a time and i'm a heavy sleeper. The beds were also very uncomfortable.

Now if you remember, I was suppossed to be charged 88 dollars. I got my receipt and I was charged over 120 dollars. The manager wasn't there so they couldn't clear it up. I gave them my phone number...they never called. And never returned my calls. So I put a hold on the credit card I used. Looks like the red roof inn won't be getting my money ever again.

This is BY FAR NOT the number 1 best hotel in Queensbury. I don't know what you people are talking about. It was an absolute nightmare run by a bunch of Indian people who don't know what customer service means.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kat116
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Lake George over Labor Day weekend 2008. It was very clean and adequate. We have no complaints whatsoever. The staff was efficient, friendly and polite. We would definitely stay there again when we visit the area. The price was very reasonable. It is not a 5 star hotel, but neither is their price.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2008

I was very worried about booking this hotel because of the cheap price. I am very happy to say it is a basic but clean hotel. We usually book at Marriott or Hilton properties, but we were trying to make this a budget getaway.

The room is basic with 2 queen beds, a fridge, & microwave. For one night that is all we needed. Our kids thought we were going camping, so insisted they sleep in their sleeping bags! We had 2 kids sprawled out on the floor and still room to maneuver around them!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I could not disagree more with DoctorGNewJersey, who obviously did not do his/her homework. If I was going to pay $149 a night for a motel or hotel, I would also expect some frills but this hotel is not pretending to offer frills. It is however, VERY recently completely refurnished. Everything is brand new and spotless. The staff in the reception area could not have been more pleasant and helpful and smiling. They were wonderful. Free coffee is available in the lobby 24 hours a day.

My room was close to the highway but I heard very little traffic - what I did hear was a siren or two, that's all. Amenities - shampoo and soap in keeping with the kind of hotel it is. For all the other stuff one needs to check into a Hilton or a Marriott etc.

A/C worked very efficiently and not noisily. Bed was comfortable. Yes - thin towels - who cares? They worked!

I initially booked on Priceline.com because they offered the cheapest rate a week before travel at peak season. Rate was $129. Many motels were fully booked. Shortly before I left to go up there, I went online to double check my reservation and saw that there was a 'Red Hot Special' on offer that actually saved me a total of $50. I cancelled the old reservation without penalty and re-booked. I'm glad I did and would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat. When I am ready for luxury, I'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Arthur L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Sleep Inn & Suites of Lake George
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Ramada Queensbury/Lake George
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#5 of 11 in Queensbury
Days Inn Queensbury/Lake George
Best Western of Lake George
Best Western of Lake George
#12 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!