“Great service, location, and value”
Review of Red Roof Inn

Red Roof Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Sussex, New Jersey
“Great service, location, and value”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

this was a family trip, my room was very clean . The staff was extremely friendly, great muffins and coffee for breakfast :) and close to the outlets for convenient shopping!! Definitely going back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I reserved a room at this inn because I've previously had excellent experiences at other Red Roof properties, however this particular location was very disappointing. I was traveling with my cat so we were required to stay in a pet-friendly room (no big deal, usually), but upon opening the door for the first time, I was inundated by the stench of wet dog. It felt like the room hadn't been cleaned/deodorized which got me feeling uneasy. I sprayed some of my perfume and dealt with it. The following evening, I walked into the the lobby and asked the clerk if there was any decaf coffee packets available for the room; she hastily said "no, but there's some over there" (pointing at the corner of the lobby). Her eyes never left the computer screen and her overall demeanor was very rude. In short, I won't be staying here again. I thought it would be a better experience as I'd read that the Inn was recently remodeled but I honestly wasn't impressed with the place. Also, there's not a lot of accessible parking for larger moving trucks. (It should be noted that the desk attendant upon my arrival was extremely helpful and friendly...which is why I've listed the "service" as "Average" ... her attitude really spoke volumes of positivity for the property).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Inthismoment7
Bowling Green
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We had a great stay and enjoyed the clean room. Staff was very friendly. Red Roof, as always, supports pet owners with free accommodations for fido. We also enjoyed the fire pit behind the hotel and had some great smore's. Breakfast would be nice, but for the difference in price, you can go buy it elsewhere. Free danishes and coffee 24/7 helps. Used the free wireless internet to help keep the kids up to date on their homework during the 3 days of our trip. Close to Lake George, theme parks etc. A comfortable room for a small family with mini-fridge and microwave if you want to eat in to save a few more bucks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ted N
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Our 3 night weekend with Red Roof Inn started on a Friday night. I had made internet arrangements with the Queensbury RRI about a week before and paid for the stay with a CC online. Got the reservation, all is well.

The reservation called for a "Smoking room, two queen beds". We checked in Friday night and the manager gave us a room at the end of their "smoking" room chain (a smaller building housing probably 10 rooms, 5 up, 5 downstairs), room 127. We drove to the room and the credit card keys to the room would not work. I hoofed it back to the office and told the manager that the keys would not work, no matter which direction we placed the keys.

She made us new keys but decided to come with me to actually test the keys. She's a good manager! On getting to the room, she couldn't make the new or the old keys work. So we went to the next room, 125, and the keys opened the door.

She stated that the keys would fit into the next THREE rooms!!!!! Um, hello? Does the public really need to know this? Well, yes, they do! Never ever leave anything at all valuable in your room when you leave any of these places. This was quite an eye opener for us and when we settled in, put the dead bolt on and the other lock on the door. Yikes.

We had seen about a 22 year old man above us on the 2nd floor (outside entrances) earlier. We had gone out to dinner and came back about 11:30 PM. From what you could tell from the outside, there was only one room rented above on the 2nd floor and it was right above us. At 12:30AM, the floors above us sounded like there were more than a dozen people in the room. And they were tromping on the floor constantly, and this is a small room, mind you. I called the front desk and complained about the foot noise and the voice noise, which was growing louder by the minute.

A new manager voice answered the phone, a male this time, and said he'd call up there and take care of it. Things quieted down for a little bit and we dealt with the noise until 3:30 AM when it just got out of hand. I called the front desk yet again and the night manager said that he had gone up there to their room TWICE so far to try and quiet them down but they'd already PAID for their room! Sorry, I wasn't quick enough at 3:30 AM to say that I had paid for THREE nights already, lock, stock, and barrel, to try and fight this numbnuts manager. I told him I'll call the police if it wasn't quieted down and he told me to go ahead and do it if it'd help. BUT....

He said he could put us in room 127 for the night, this is the room they originally gave us but their electronic lock wouldn't work for the keys they made. I said that's the room we were SUPPOSED to have but the keys wouldn't work for it and the afternoon manager couldn't even get in! And why should we have to move when the idiots above us were causing the problems? Um, no answer, so this manager was obviously friends with the kids above us.

About 4 AM, things quieted down, the party above finally petered out. But this isn't the end to the nonesense that ensued.

They have a "Do not disturb" sign that you can put on your door so the maids won't disturb you but on the other side of it is a "Please clean this room" sign that we put on the door when we left for the day. When we got back to the room about 8 that night, the room looked just as we left it. No made beds, no clean linens. So my husband called up the front desk who told us the "DND" sign was on our door. He told them what actually was on our door (which was still on when we came in). They apologized profusely and brought over clean towels, which was fine. The good thing was, the kids above us had checked out. Peace, peace at last!

Now we come to Sunday night (the last night). We came in about 9:30 PM and guess what? The "keys" wouldn't work. Big surprise, huh? So we had to go back to the front desk to get new keys.

My advice to anyone wanting to stay at this hotel/motel, is you're going to get a decent room for the price but be prepared to have a problem sometime in your stay. We never have problems anywhere (and believe me, we travel a lot) and this RRI was a major PIA. Maybe the noisy kid above us was the son of the owner or something, who knows? But don't charge the rest of us full price for a brat-annoyance.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor so you won't have to hear kid's parties going on all night above you.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Eugenia B
Welland, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed at this motel in October 2010 and had a very positive experience. We have stayed at this Inn several times, but it was the best on this visit. I believe that there were some changes in management/ownership?, and they were certainly for the better. It was exceptionally clean, the staff and services were excellent. The morning coffee and goodies were great and I found the personnel to be just so helpful. The usual dining and shopping amenities were of course still there also. You can't beat the value for the money especially if you are travelling with a pet. Ron from Canada

Room Tip: We usually got a room in the rear building which is an excellent location for walking a pet, but las...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caileigh1
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Based on our previous visit to the Red Roof Inn, Queensbury , we decided to stay there once again when we attended the Adirondack Hot Air Balloon Festival on the weekend of September 24 and September 25, 2011. This stay was as enjoyable if not even more enjoyable than our previous stay. The room had 2 double beds, a large screen TV (Vizio), a refrigerator, a microwave, and wireless internet. Furniture included a comfortable living room type chair , a desk and desk chair, and a chest with drawers. We were travelling with our dog consequently we were staying in a pet friendly room. The room was very clean and had no signs of being a pet friendly room (ie. an odor or stained carpets/furniture). The bathroom was very clean and had a vent fan that automatically turned on when the bathroom light was turned on. The vanity and mirror are external to the bathroom in an area that has its own lighting. The building that we were in appeared to be fully occupied. It was very quiet and both my wife and I had an excellent night's sleep (as well as our dog) with no interruptions at all. There is an Outback Restaurant next door to the Red Roof Inn and it shares a parking lot with the Inn. The Outback has a wide ranging take out menu so if you are travelling with your pet you can get a good restaurant meal and not leave your pet unattended in your room (a violation of the Red Roof Pet Policy). There are a number of picnic tables in a grassy area behind the hotel. I grilled steaks on a portable gas grill that I carry in my trunk and made baked potatoes using the microwave. Either way;restaurant meal or BBQ, it makes for a great evening in upstate NY. Add to it that the staff of the hotel is friendly and helpful and it makes for a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dan C
Vermont
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn 1 nite, Sept. 17, 2011 for a weekend getaway. Check in was a breeze, and the clerk couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. The 2 queen sized bedroom was nice and clean as well. The table between the two bed's was ultra small, and barely fit our two CPAP breathing machines. We did also have to unplug the clock, so they would both have an outlet. The bed's were just ok, a little 'squeaky' in a weird sort of way. But the biggest problem was the front door. It is not sealed properly and light, air and especially noise come's through it. This made for a noisy nite due to traffic and people coming back from their outtings. Would we stay there again? Probably due to the price for us. But I would ask for something not on the street side. They also had a wonderful fire pit out back with ton's of chairs to side around it. In the back of the hotel there were also quite a few picnic tables which I thought was a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Room's at the back of the hotel are not as noisy I would hope.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BBQLuvR
HallidayGM, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank You for your honest comments. I have trained our entire staff to try to make all of our guests feel like they are at their Queensbury Red Roof home away from home. Looking forward to seeing you back at our property.

Hal Halliday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Sleep Inn & Suites of Lake George
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Days Inn Queensbury/Lake George
Ramada Queensbury/Lake George
Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Best Western of Lake George
Best Western of Lake George
#21 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!