“Serious management issues (the definition of the the word customer must be "someone waiting in a line"...)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark

and 1 more site!
Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Cotonou, Benin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

Despite the negative reviews, we decided to go there for Easter week end as I wanted my son to spend good time in the water park. The weather was great and we found excellent hiking trails in the Adirondacks which made our week end excellent... The hotel was generally clean, the rooms are the average motel standard (for 3 times the price) but the presence of Tweety, Soobi-doo and Bugs Bunny makes it magic for the kids. Very friendly service at Johnny Rocket (and food better than expected) - poor food quality at the tavern. All in all OK if it weren't for the painful check in / check out. The Eatster eggs hunt in the water park was also great time!

I can confirm the serious mangement problems reported below. We arrived on Easter Friday, waited 45 minutes in the line (only 1 person at the desk), checked in at 4 and were told our room was not ready yet! Everyone in the line was in the same situation. Is it really impossible, on the eve of a major week end, to have the rooms ready? I was with a baby who badly needed a nap but was told "Check in time from 4.00 does not mean all the rooms are ready at 4.00". I was then called on my mobile when my room was ready but had to wait another 20 minutes before getting the keys...

Same bureaucracy at check out. It was the Easter Monday and there was only one employee for both check out and the entrance to the water park so there was a long line ... When it is my turn, I notice a mistake of 90 dollars in my invoice. The employee then disappeared for 10 minutes. When she came back, it was 10.30 and she explained to me that I was right but that she had no authorizations to change the invoice and that I had to wait for a supervisor. Her supervisor was in a meeting and would not be available before 11.30! We had planned to leave after check out in order to be back in NY just after lunch but decided to stay because I did not want to lose 90 dollars just because of poor management. That an hotel of this size has only one person in charge of both check out and the entrance to the park is already ridiculous and show little respect for customer. But that this person does not even have the autorization to correct the invoice and that no supervisor is reachable at check out time....

Another non sense: the small coffeeshop was closed on Easter Sunday - no possibility to get real (good) coffee in the morning!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Oneonta,NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

I visited the indoor park on a day pass that I bought online. When we got there, we had a line out the door to get into the park and get our wristbands. The obvious problem was the fact they had one person working the desk. The management there is lacking in the ability to deal with the crowd. The park inside is good for younger children but if you plan on taking anyone over 10 then they will probably become bored because they only have three "big" slides inside. The lazy river is anything but that, you spend most of your time avoiding hitting people (mostly children) with your tube because they don't have enough tubes to go around and the allow people to just swim in the river. The only food you can have is from their stand inside the park. at 8.00 for a hot dog and cold fries it can get expensive quickly. The staff take the garbage out the emergency exits and blast cold air over you when they open the door to do so. For the amount of money we spent there I think we will go to one of their competitors next time.

NewYork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

This could be a nice place if it had more staff and better management. The room was clean,and spacious nice fridge and microwave, nice beds , need better pillows. Food and service great in Johnny Rockets. They need more control of the waterpark, there was no one at the door checking wristbands or giving info. No one should be wading and swimming in the Take it ez e creek. My six year old son is mildly autistic and ran from me straight to the creek I was chasing after him frantic I called to one life guard to please grab him for me she didn't , a second one looked at me dumbfounded, but finally grabbed him, but they acted like they didn't want to help. I saw numerous young children floundering in too large inner tubes. The whole weekend we saw one cartoon character. For 185 a night they could at least offer a light continental breakfast.

ro

new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

got the mid week special so a stain on the carpet did not bother me much. Checked in at 3pm and not at10am when the waterpark opens!! guess what?no lines!!!Room has small fridge and microwave which is nice-no hd tv here-pillows were soft but found extra's, bed a little mushy but room was clean--yes there are kids running around until 11pm--turn the tv up and the noise goes away. Waterpark is small so if the hotel is full I could see where it could be a nightmare--entire park was open this day with 10-15 l.g.,water was ok could have been a little warmer-place was clean.They now have life jackets for little ones which I never saw before-great for the lazy river.Towels have shrunk to the size of a dish rag but grab 10 of them and its fine.Johnie Rockets is perfect for the situation and you dont have to drive--I am not going to review a burger place for crine out loud.

syracuse new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

First of all, after driving 3 and 1/2 half hours, we had to wait in line for one hour (with our three and nine year old children) to get our bracelets to get into the waterpark, this was at 3:30PM. Then they said they would call us when our room was ready. It was 6:30PM when we were finished for the day at the waterpark when I finally approached the front desk to inquire about out room because we had not recieved a phone call. Check in time was 4PM and they had just finished cleaning our room at 6:30PM. Ridiculous. When I inquired about getting a 1PM checkout the next day instead of the usually 11 AM because of the room being 2 and 1/2 hours late, I was told that check in starts at 4PM and is not guaranteed at that time. After talking with the manager, we were able to get the later check out but they were not very customer friendly or accomadating.

I have been to other water parks and this one is definately small and limited with what it has to offer. It is really geared for 5-8 year olds. It does have some toddler stuff but forget it if your children are over 8, they will be very disappointed. It only has one single rider tube ride and one 3-4 person tube ride. Then two body slides but they are so small that my three year old went down them by herself. I did find the water and air temperature colder than the other parks that I have visited.

The only positive thing that I can say about the park is that the lodge decor was very nice, but that's it. I would definately not recommend this to anyone and we will definately not be returning here.

1 Thank friendlyfroggie

Travelers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

Was nervous about going due to neg. trip advisor reviews, but so glad we went! The kids had a ball (8 and 3 yrs). Maybe it is because it is our first experience with a water park, but...the lodge is very nice a clean. The lobby is very attractive...check in was thankfully a breeze...our room was clean and spacious, and we took advantage of refrig. and microwave. The waterpark def. kept my kids entertained for hours, and it seemed clean to us. The air and water temp. were fine for us also, and we are not the bravest when it comes to cold water! One ride was not running, but the lodge was def. not full capacity, so I was not surprised by this. (we went mid-week) Also, one restaurant was closed, but there are 2 others-so no prob as far as we were concerned. We enjoyed craft time-they were simple, and fun for kids.Story time in the evening was great for my 3 year old, and in the am. my son and husband enjoyed the arcade. Staff was always very friendly too. So we had a great time!

NH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

After staying a night and waking up the next day,I found 3 fairly big [1 or 2 day old] bloodstains underneath the sheets on the mattress liner! I complained and they only apologized and gave me 10% off on 1 night!!! This place shouldn't even be in business. We have come here 7 times in the last 3 years hoping it would get better...it only gets worse. My kids love the surfing wave...but I will be driving elsewhere next time.

4 Thank whitjake222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
Comfort Suites Lake George
Comfort Suites Lake George
#9 of 87 in Lake George
Wingate by Wyndham Lake George

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!