“Water Park has a major break down, call before reserving”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
velix500
“Water Park has a major break down, call before reserving”
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The hotel is experiencing a major break down of the water park. The staff minimized the problem when it was disclosed at check in. They said it was one ride down out of nine It's more like the complete intermediate section of the rides excluding the lazy river. You'll have the baby-toddler pool, the lazy river, the surf ride and the larger slides more adapted to teens and adults. For my six year old, all that was suitable was the lazy river.

They handed us a letter stating they would give us a 20% discount off our stay at check out. Our rate was $232 per nights for the bed and breakfast room. At check out 20% was calculated as being $37.90 instead of $46.40. They claimed the promised discount doesn't include the breakfast package. Even then, it didn't add up to 20%. They then claimed the 20% discount was for a regular price of $189 per night. Without the breakfast, the rate was $198 per night when I booked the stay. I gave up on them since it was only for a two night stay. I left being cheated by them. It was such a small difference in price to honour their promise. I feel they we're extremely cheap. Especially since they failed to correctly disclose the true nature of the water park break down.

I had expected the delays in check in and the lumpy pillows. I had read many reviews before leaving. This is why I booked two nights, to have time to relax and enjoy the water park. The room was fine. We were located next to a staircase. It was noisy because of kids running in them, but this as to be expected when catering to a family oriented hotel.

One pleasant surprise was the Johny Rockets restaurant. Breakfast was served quickly by the staff and they were friendly. We even had one supper there and had one of the nicest waitress I've seen in years. The service was the complete opposite of what I had read in the reviews. Maybe the management read them and took the appropriate corrective actions. Lets hope Six Flags reads their reviews now and acts on them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Laval, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Having been here a few years back, we were anxious to return. Check in on February 28th was horrible. After waiting at least 1 1/2 hours to check in at 5pm, I was told we still had to wait 30 minutes for our room to be ready. We were offered to use the water park, but all our bags in hand, we really didn't feel like re-packing the car with our stuff.
Having been here before, I (and the kids) were anxiously expecting a flurry of activities (especially since the hotel was booked solid). We were told there was no character breakfast scheduled in the 4 days we were there, or any other of the list of activities listed on their website. The only activity was 30 minutes of arts and crafts and bedtime with a looney toons character. Also, would it have hurt them to alternate characters or were all the costumes all at the cleaners??? My DD was so anxious to see characters and all we saw in 4 days were Sylvester and Daffy Duck.
In the 4 days we were there, the major part of the waterpark (where the water falls from the bucket) and all the slides in this part of the water park were out of order. The hotel did compensate us with a small refund, and I understand that things happen, but to be down for 4 days???
The rooms are nice and big, and the microwave and fridge is great. Beds were good, but they should get new pillows.
All in all, we made the best of it and had a good time, but it was not all that I remembered and I just got the feeling that the staff didn't really care. I would go back if I got a good rate, but I would lower my expectations.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cruisebaby

Travelers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We went there for 1 night with the family (2 adults & 2 kids) to take advantage of their indoor water park for spring break. When we arrived, Sunday afternoon around 3h20PM, there was a huge lineup all the way down the hall, to almost outside, for check-in. When we finally got to front desk (roughly an hour later), we were told that our room wasn't ready yet ... Not only ours, everyone else's too ... Complete disorganization! - They knew about all these reservations, why didn't they staff appropriately, both room service and front desk staff as well ? "Check-in process begins at 4pm" she said ... But it was 4h15pm ... She insisted that it started at 4pm, not that rooms would be ready by 4pm. Does this mean that check-out process starts at 11am and that I can leave my room a few hours later? What a joke ... Worst of all, no sorries or excuses either, as if this was normal ... Front desk staff were slow paced too, which didn't help reducing that huge queue, which was still as long as it was when we joined it. We were given wrist bands to access the water park until our room was ready (so generous of them ...). When we arrived downstairs where the changing rooms are located, we were asked to pay for lockers ... WHAT !?!? I can't get to my room to have my valuables stored and they can't even provide complimentary locker keys ... I must say this is top notch service! Worst of all, an entire section of the water park was closed both the day we arrived and the day we left, supposedly because of water pressure issues. We were there for only one night, so let me tell you that we did not fully benefit from the services we had paid for ... Worst hotel management I have ever seen ... This is definitely no way to treat customers, and I'm not an isolated case, everyone was pissed. The hotel is quite noisy too, as if walls were paper thin ...

2 Thank yavery
Colchester
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed there over the past weekend and was extremely pleased with my experiece. Very clean, polite staff and lots of fun. Great place to let your Tweens and young teenagers burn some winter energy in the water without leaving the north. Rooms had fridges and microwaves and the mattresses were temporpedic type. Price for room included water park use. Two nights and three days of water fun. Great value. Highly recommended.

new york
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We stayed at Great Escape Lodge over President's Weekend of 2010. We stayed there specifically for the indoor waterpark. We were very disappointed to find that the indoor waterpark closed at 8PM Friday, 9PM Saturday and 8PM - of a holiday weekend. We have stayed at other indoor waterparks that had later hours. This was a big disappointment. We did our outdoor activities during the day (skiing, snowtubing, skating) and planned on spending the evenings after dinner at the waterpark. Well that did not happen since the park was closed. This is a family lodge and they did not accomodate families. Also, the rooms were very nice, but the walls paper thin - we felt like we were part of the family with at least 3 small children, in the next room who were playing board games all night and screaming and yelling as kids do. Knowing this is a family lodge, I would have hoped the rooms were more sound proof then they were. My daughter is 12 and not noisy at all, but the families on either side of us had small children who were quite noisy. And we heard every word.
For the amount of money we paid for this room ($259/night) I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank welovefuntravel
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 26, 2010

My wife and I went to the Lodge on the 23rd, 24th and 25th of February with our four children ( 2 toddlers, 2 preteens ). We were somewhat weary after reading some posts on Trip Advisor and also due to the fact we had previously stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in PA. So I will start with the negatives-we had to pay vacation rates even though NY had vaca the previous week, the Tall Tales Lounge was closed for a whole day of our stay, we only saw one character ( Daffy Duck ) the entire time we were at the hotel ( this was very dispointing as my kids love Scooby Doo, etc. ), there are no balconies and the rooms walls were pretty thin. In addition the food was pricey and the Johnny Rockets breakfast was sub standard. The lobby "coffee" vendor was also closed two of the three days we stayed. The arcade was also pricey as most games required more than one token, usually two to four. I felt the staff was just meandering through their duties and felt no sense of customer service or happiness in their jobs. Now I know that all sounds bad, however the bottom line is this is a place to bring children in the winter so they can have a break from the winter monotony and swim and play indoors at a water park. To that end the park achieved it's goal. We did not have a complaint with any rides being shut down and the water was fair to warm temperature all three days. They had great areas for both the older children and the toddlers. There were also no long lines and neither the hotel or water park felt crowded at any time. I mentioned the thin walls but I will say I expect a lot of noise when attending a family hotel and found it quiter than Great Wolf Lodge. Food was also better than Great Wolf and was less expensive. Even though the staff weren't overly enthusiastic they did their job and were courteous. The hotel and room were clean, although the room was standard, nothing extraordinary ( did I mention no balconies, one plus for Great Wolf ). Bottom line, On a not busy time frame my wife and I would bring our children back when normal rates were in effect ( even maybe vaca rates because what else are you going to do in the middle of winter ) and everyone would have a good time. It was fun, biggest disapointment they played up the character angle all over the website and they were never around-and we looked and asked!

nEW YORK
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The pillow were flat and therefore very uncomfortable. This hotel should look at Hampton Inn for the way a bed should be set up at hotel.
The water park was fun and it was Valentine's day and we went tot he ballroom and they had sa DJ and my kids had a balst dancing with Looney Tunes' characters ( especially with Bugs Bunny).
We went to Jonny Rocket's and service was good, but we wnet to the other restaurant and the waitress was bad. The wai was extremely long ( and thye only have about 5 tables) and non engaging.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
#4 of 11 in Queensbury
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#17 of 88 in Lake George

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!