“Hotel and Park are fine but lack real value”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Reviewed February 20, 2010

The hotel was clean and the the room was clean - except for stains in the carpet (It looked like someone had spilled a Kool Aid type drink on the carpet in the room). The beds were very comfortable, the shower had decent water pressure and the room was quite spacious. There was even a small dorm style fridge in the room (probably where the Kool Aid was before it hit the carpet)

The reason for the stay was the indoor waterpark. Part of the park was closed much of the first day which made the lines long elsewhere. The surfing ride was the favorite ride for my kids but the lines moved very slowly, so the kids spent a lot of time just standing around waiting. The lazy river was not operating for much of the first day and the water was cold in the river once it opened which was a detraction.

The park is small and it truly cannot compete with a regular outdoor waterpark, but then the regular outdoor parks are not open in the middle of winter in upstate NY! My kids still enjoyed themselves despite the drawbacks and other folks in the park were smiling and laughing and seemed to be having a good time. If you want to get away and enjoy an indoor waterpark in the middle of winter this will likely suffice - but just don't expect too much.

1  Thank ADKtraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (1,651)

Reviewed February 19, 2010

We came to the waterpark on Febuary 16 the only to find that the water was very. very cold. After less than an hour my 4 year old no longer wanted to swim. Also I felt that the floor in the waterpark was very slimy at the end of the day and questionable if it was cleaned overnight. Rooms decent. When we came to the hotel, we were unable to check in until 4 even though it was already 3:15. The woman at the desk in the lobby told us we could leave our stuff with the bell man and rent a locker downstairs. When we got downstairs there were no lockers available so my husband had to sit with our belongings (clothes, purse) while I swam with the two kids. Waterpark o.k. but the water temp really not conducive to staying in the water a long time.

Reviewed February 19, 2010

Just got back and kids and I are sick with colds after visiting. The hotel is way overpriced. Listened to kids running through the halls until late at night. No parental supervision!! Had to complain to the front desk twice! The next morning was awoken by a crying baby at 5 in the morning. Don't expect to rest and relaxation if you go there. The water park was good for the kids. Water could have been a bit warmer. Didn't spend much time in it the second day because it had to be shut down twice due to kids pooing in the lazy river!! The hotel had many activities for younger kids to do there. The character breakfast was a waste of money. Food was cold... We enjoyed Johnny Rockets but noticed that the waitstaff rather stand around and talk then provide service. Front desk personnel was friendly and courteous. But maid never showed up until early evening to clean our room... I would suggest doing a day package and staying somewhere else!

1  Thank twilight123
Reviewed February 19, 2010

I would not ever come here again. We stayed two nights and the only attractions open was the surfing and tube rides. What a waste of money. My six year old son got thrown around the surfing and doesn't yet enjoy closed in tube rides. The tree house was closed both days and the lazy river was shut down the second day. I will never come back again. This place makes how much money and they can't afford to keep all the attractions open? I would save your money or go someplace else.

1  Thank flower2188
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I took our kids aged 7 and 9 here for 2 nights Feb 14th-16th. My kids had fun but I wouldnt say that they loved it. They are not even talking about the trip now that we are home. The tube rides were a blast and the lines moved fairly quickly. But the lazy river was ice cold and their lips turned blue after about 20 minutes. They were shivering and constantly wanted to return to the room because the water was so cold. I feel that we did not get our money's worth because the kids did not want to stay in the water park for very long due to the cold water. By the second day my daughter had a runny nose from being so cold, and now she has a full blown cold. Our room was OK, but was not well lit even with the curtains open. The TV was an small old tube TV, you would think for the price they would have a nice flat screen TV. The pillows were awful and very lumpy, bring your own pillows if you go. My husband said he would never go back.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

We just returned from 3 nights at the Great escape lodge and loved it. All our kids (3 kids 5 and under) had a blast, as did we. We are very well traveled and have high expectations and were quite pleased with the trip. Some points regarding some of the negative reviews found on trip advisor: yes, sometimes there is a line for check in. We happened to hit it right and had no issues, but an hour later there was a line. There are 3 staff members working check in, its not a humongous hotel, so if there is a line i don't think thats necessarily something to complain about. (if they had only 1 person working, then i would understand). Water temp: it was perfect the entire time i was there, but a woman told me she got there on Thursday and they had just cleaned and re-filled the park water and the water was cold until about 3pm that day - they were heating it but as you can imagine, heating gallons of water takes time. I have no idea if this is done on a scheduled basis or not, but again we had no problem Friday night, Saturday or Sunday. Finally, there are plenty of food options on site, nice when you have 3 hungry, wet and tired kids, not to have to leave to go find a restaurant. The food was decent enough, and price value was great considering we were at a hotel. Our room was very clean and nice and big. A bit noisy, but we were there with our 3 kids and so were many many other families, so to be expected. Overall, we were very pleased and will return.

Reviewed February 11, 2010

My husband and I checked-in on Sunday, February 10th (same day as the superbowl). We went there looking for a relaxing weekend and found quite the opposite. I put a request in my reservation for an early check-in. We arrived at 1:30pm and were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 4pm. We went back to the check-in and waited for 20 minutes to be told that we need to wait until 4pm. We wnt back at 4pm and the check-in line was out the door! my husband and I were literally standing outside in the cold trying to get our room keys. We stood on that check-in line for about an hour that time. When we finally got up to our room, the first thing that we noticed was that there was dried up SPERM on our comforter!!! We also noticed that the second bed had food crumbs all over it and there were sticky juice stains all over every suface of our room. It took over 45 minutes to get housekeeping up to our room to change the sheets and wipe evereything down. So not only were we disappointed with our room, but the waterpark was very disappointing. The waterpark was tiny, overcrowded and dirty. There were children running around everywhere with no adult supervision. It was a nightmare! We thought that we might be able to enjoy the hot tub that is located in the waterpark, but the water wasn't even hot! Then back in our room that evening all we could hear were children running and screaming down the halls and stomping from the room upstairs. The water pressure in the shower was extrememly weak, I was barely able to wash the shampoo off my hair. To top-off our horrible stay, I was looking forward to going to the hotel gym everyday that we were there. th gym sucked! The website said that there was an elliptical, but there wasn't. There were 3 treadmills (that didn't work) and two stationary bikes, that's it! Also, don't even bother trying to take an elevator in this hotel. The wait to get on an elevator is about 15 minutes. There are only two elevators in this huge hotel which has thousands of guests. The low rate that we got for staying at this hotel wasn't worth all of the aggrevation. Next time my husband and I stay at a hotel in the Lake George area it's going to be the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mindful_Living_VT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lake George (Queensbury), NY
Ramada Queensbury/Lake George
Comfort Suites Lake George
Comfort Suites Lake George
#12 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!