“Once again, a great trip!”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Upstate New York
“Once again, a great trip!”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Five years up, five years down! Another great trip. We've been coming since they've opened! Everything was awesome, as usual! We love it. Honeslty, the previous review of 50 deep in the lobby, all due respect, I don't think so. On a Tuesday night? C'Mon. We were even shocked that the place wasn't as packed as usual, and this was a holiday weekend (MLK) but with the economy, it's expected, We love it and well keep coming back for years to come!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Hartford
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I took 2 days off work and pulled the kids out of school to to Great Escape. We arrived to find no parking, a 50 deep line to check in and general chaos in the lobby. I waited in the line while my wife killed time with the kids (playing cards, games, walking around the lobby, going out to the etc). Along with many others, I was told the rooms were not ready yet even though it was after check in time. I asked for my deposit back, which they gave. We killed two days in hotels around the area with pools.
I have a hard time feeling badly for kids these days, but I really felt for the kids in the lobby, including my own. You can tell they had been looking forward to the waterpark for some time only to be disapointed by the fools that run the place.

1 Thank MetMet

Travelers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

Nanuet, NY
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Took the kids on a long weekend (still here actually)
Cost a small fortune.
Pros
water park (was fully functional)
-not too crowded (and it was a holiday weekend)
-towels available
-life vests available free of charge
-seemed very clean
-Hand santizer everywhere
-Small activities for the kids ie...crafts, story time, Bingo....kids really liked this...
-Lobby is beautifully decorated
Cons
Service is just lacking everywhere. Seems like much of the staff is very young and has little if any training on customer service..
I frequently travel and have paid close to $300/night in other places....this place just doesn't seem organized or worthy of this price.
Another reviewer said it right when they said 3* hotel...
Ex: We received Very poor service at a "Character Breakfast" BTW-I highly do NOT reccommend this event....food was bad...service non existent and even when telling the server (who I never saw till she dropped the bill) how poor the service was she merely glared at me. No "sorry" no "let me speak to my supervisor" just didn't care...I'm usually easily a 20% tipper...I won't say what she got. I just speant $45 for 1 adult and 2 kids for a really bad breakfast....you can't even try to do anything about it???
I saw prior reviews complaining about kids....Well YES, they are everywhere. This hotel caters to families. Which was exactly what I was looking for. I had no problem with the kids except the running up and down the halls which was stopped pretty quickly...
Overall, I might come back.....when they're running a special.
But I'll be prepared for the unconcerned attitude of the people who work here.

albany
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We won tickets to stay at the Great Escape Lodge in February of this year, and it was a great trip all around. I went with my wife and two friends. The room was spacious, but a little smaller than i thought it would be based on the price of $400 per night. The hotel is VERY family/kid oriented so if you don't like loud hotels this place is not for you. The restaurants at the hotel were all very good. Johnny Rockets on premises is the biggest one i've ever seen, and the food was great. It even has a full sized sports bar located within Johnny Rockets! But best of all for sure was the water park. It featured a number of different attractions including a "lazy" river which was nice to float around and relax on, and a body surfing machine/ride which was fun to play on, both for kids and for adults. There were also a few slides, including a large raft slide which was another "fun for all ages" ride. Overall i think that this hotel is a great attraction, especially in the cold winters of the northeast, but it is a pricey excursion to say the least. But honestly, can you put a price on happiness?

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Southampton, NY
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. The rooms were great, very convenient to have a microwave and fridge when traveling with kids. The room was clean and very quiet (we were on the 4th floor). We ate at Johnny Rockets one night, food was good, kids liked it and that's what counts. Never had a problem with rides breaking down and I was worried about that based on other reviews. We really didn't have to wait on lines for any rides except the Boogie Board ride, and it was worth the wait. The water park was very clean and the staff was very nice. We were able to get towels all the time (and mostly warm right out of the dryer, yay!) except for one time we had to wait 10 min for the next load to come in. The kids liked the bedtime stories with Daffy Duck in the lobby and were surprised one morning when we came through the lobby and were able to see some characters, Bugs Bunny also took a walk through the waterpark at one point. We all had a blast and we will def. return!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
massachusetts
Reviewed November 29, 2009

we stayed here over Thanksgiving for two nights. The waterpark was lots of fun, our kids loved the surf ride. Plenty of slides to keep entertained, the lazy river was great, although we wish there were more tubes available. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The life gaurds were nice and very visable but not over the top like some other waterparks we have been too.
The suite was very roomy and clean. We ate at johnny Rockets, typical diner food . We had the Thanksgiving Buffett in the ballroom, it was very good. with lots of choices.
We would definetly return here. One thing was our last day there the surf ride and family raft ride were not working due to mechanical problems, but the repair company was on site working on them, so I am sure they got them running early. We left our last day at noon because of a long ride home.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We went to GEL for Halloween weekend. The hotel was far from full, so the only resturant open there was Johnny Rockets, which was just ok. We wound up leaving the hotel to go out to eat the 2nd day. The room was clean and nicely appointed. The hotel is making a big effort to be "green", so there was natural soap and shampoo and lots of posts urging guests to be environmentally conscience. The water park was good. The lifeguards were attentive, the facilities were clean, and it was not crowded at all. Only problem was during all 3 days of our stay, one of the 2 big waterslides was out of commission each day. The staff were friendly and very helpful and anything we asked for was addressed immediately. They had a Halloween ball and trick or treating for the kids, which was a lot of fun. The Six Flags amusement park is right across the street and you can get highly discounted tickets at the gift shop at the hotel. Over all, we had a lot of fun, enjoyed the hotel, and would definitely return.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#17 of 89 in Lake George
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!