“OK- but dissapointing”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We recently stayed a weekend at the Lake George Indoor Waterpark and Lodge.
Waterpark- very overcrowded, water was freezing!!! My 5 year old loves water and swimming- she kept running back to me for her towel and was unable to enjoy things. I also went in the lazy river with her and her sister and realized why her lips were constantly purple. You could not find a chair anywhere to sit in the waterpark...mass chaos with kids running everywhere. All three of my children who went in the water complained of itching the rest of the day.
Hotel- rooms nice and spacious, lighting very dim, never had hot water for showers and baths, toilet never worked well- called maintainence who took 2 hours to respond when toilet wouldn't flush
Food- fine if you want to gain 10 pounds in a weekend, few healthy choices, buying meals with room really isn't worth it as you only have 2 restaurants to chose from and it can get VERY repetitive
Activities- due to the crowded waterpark and freezing water we were only able to go for a few hours at a time, there really is not much else for children to do at the hotel
Gym- 3 treadmills and 1 bike in a small little room that is 80 degrees

I really want to emphasize that our family travels often and rarely find anything to complain about but this experience had my husband and I looking at each other wanting to leave early. We tried to make the best of it but I could have found several other ways to spend 1000 dollars.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank KLMPRR

Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed with our our two 10 year old boys during February break 2009. This is our third stay at the Great Escape and have enjoyed it every year. Now the complaints come after our third stay...Johnny Rockets is new to the establishment. NOT worth the time or money even though we did have the breakfast/dinner package. We ate at Johnny's our first night. Had some measely burgers and fries. The kids enjoyed it. The next morning was also at Johnny Rockets. With a limited menu of pancakes, french toast, or eggs. Most came with bacon or sausage but only a few came with toast. All came with a drink. Not the best of breakfasts considering the past 2 years we had buffet style breakfasts with the package.
That night we decided to go to the Tall Tales Tavern Restaurant and found an abundant salad, bread sticks, and a choice of steak, large portion of pasta and several other DINNER items to choose from. MUCH better and the kids actually enjoyed their dinner there more than burgers and fries the night before. If you decide to get the food package, don't waste your time with Johnny Rockets. Although my complaints are about the eating arrangements, they DID make changes in the entire facility to maximize their sanitary obligations. Every where you turn, there was a Purell automatic hand sanitizer pump. Near the elevators, restrooms, hallways, arcade, etc. No worries anymore about germs!! All-in-all, we'd definitely stay there next year but NOT eating at Johnny Rockets!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I almost decided not to go to Great Escape because of the reviews about bed bugs. Well, I'm happy to report that my family and I just spent a wonderful weekend at Great Escape, with no bed bugs! Having a mini-fridge and microwave was a bonus...we were able to have breakfast in our room every morning. We had a great time...kids loved the water park and the arcade....wonderful family weekend!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 9, 2009

This is the second Christmas we have stayed at the waterpark. We had just as good a time as last year. We live within an hour's drive of the park but feel a world away. The lodge is decorated beautifully, with lots of roaring fireplaces and comfortable public places to sit. We have a 3 and 5 year old, and simply put, they have a blast. The arcade is great, the waterpark has lots for them to do, Santa was there to take pictures with, there are arts and crafts to do many times during the day. We spent our days swimming in the lazy river and playing in the water treehouse, then trolling the arcade for machines that spit out lots of tickets, then doing arts and crafts or games like bingo. There are also strolling characters like Scooby or Bugs Bunny. With all this entertainment to keep the kids busy, it was easy for us to relax.

As an adult, I enjoy the waterpark because they keep it superwarm inside, so even if there is a winter storm raging just outside the rooftop windows, you don't notice. Also, there is tons of seating to just chill out while your kids play. Our kids are both boys, so they love to play with the big water squirt guns and buckets that dump water on unsuspecting passerbys below (that would be me and my husband).

We always enjoy staying in the suites because they are very roomy. However, when we first saw our room this year, the beds did look a bit saggy, so we asked for another room. We immediately were given another room, which was the same class room, but it turned out to be a bit more spacious and the beds were great. Definitely bring your own utensils and paper products. They are not provided.

If you want to eat off the property, there are two excellent places I would highly recommend: Suttons Cafe or the Silo. You'll get a delicious, homecooked breakfast/brunch/lunch meal at either of these perennial favorites. For dinner, there are lots of good choices (we just went to the Olive Garden down the road). You can certainly eat in -- there is a super Walmart just up the road to shop at.

I also agree with another reviewer who mentioned that the teens/20somethings who work at the lodge (arts and crafts leaders and lifeguards) are very friendly, talkative and helpful.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank krisjere
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed at the Lodge on Christmas day. We arrived at 2:00, and our room was ready for check-in. The rooms are quite spacious, in good shape and well appointed. Per the hostess, guests are allowed to use the waterpark at Noon on check-in and all day the day of check-out.

We spent about 2 hours at the water park, and then went to dinner at Johnny Rockets, in the hotel. We then returned to the water park for another hour and a half.

The water in the afternoon/evening is definitely cool, however, the next morning, the water was markedly warmer - almost like bath water - but I'd definitely recommend a rash-guard type shirt if you've got little ones that are prone to getting cool in the water. The water park itself is warm.

The waterpark itself, for an indoor park, is quite good, though after two days, and many hours there, we had had our fill. The 'adult' slides (tubes required) are all pretty much in the dark, so some kids (my 4 year old was tall enough to ride them all) might not like that aspect of the 3 big ones.

The large 'play' area has a ton of water features, and 3 slides for kids and adults that you just slide down - no tubes required.

We saw lots of the WB characters, Wiggles and Looney Tunes on our visit, and attended the bed time reading with Sylvester. We also grabbed muffins and danishes at the coffee bar in the AM - reasonable prices, and decent food. We had an excellent dinner at Johnny Rockets, and good service too.

Was was most remarkable about our visit was the fact that every staff person we met, from front desk to all the lifeguards, was really friendly, and great with the kids. I was really impressed, as often at Six Flags parks, the teens have terrible attitudes towards guests.

We spent a lot of time at the water park (our reason for visiting), and by 7pm of our arrival, I was already convinced that the $200 that we spent was worth every penny - our kids (4 and 7) absolutely loved the place, and wanted to come back every Christmas.

The one knock against the lodge is that people running up and down the halls does seem to carry very well throughout the building, though having the heat/AC unit on drowned out that noise quite well.

The reviews here are very good, and well deserved. One of the best 1 night vacations we've ever been on!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We booked a four room suite for 8 adults and 2 babies to celebrate the holidays.The room was huge small fridge, microwave, dining room table. It had two big bathrooms. The sleeping arrangements were a bit odd. One bedroom had two queen size beds and a bath. The other room had a bunk bed with no door ( we really needed the door for the babies so that was disappointing) and then a queen bed thrown right in the middle of the living room.

Upon arriving there was three suv's of us. We pulled up to the lobby and there was no luggage carts. OK not a huge dea we will wait. I saw the manager standing in the lobby and asked if we coud have some help ( our trucks were loaded) and he basically said there are no carts.....Apparently you have to find a cart and bring your own stuff in. I saw a door by the entrance that had a closet where they must have been holding luggage for those who checked out and wat do you know....there was all the carts loaded with luggage. It was 4:30pm??? We eventually secured a cart from someone leaving. We go to check in and of course there is only a handicap room availabe. It was fine only difference is the main bathroom is handicap everything...This place is loud kids runnning up and down the halls all hours of the nigt.

Looking around the place looks cute a few fireplaces in the lobby, which were never on when I think they shoud have been. A lot of people enjoyed sitting in the lobby and if the fireplaces were on it would have been nice.

The one thing that was stellar is they have Purell soap dispensers everywhere to prevent illness. The whole time I was there I was worried about getting sick and here I sit and the both if us are not feeling well.

The waterpark is underwhelming. We had two babies with us and of course the baby area was closed all three days we were there. The said they needed a new filter. Without that one splash pool there is nothing for babies to do. The water was way to cold for kids, the adults thought it could be a tad warmer for the adults. The lazy man river is ok. The slides stink. There is three slided and the two adult ones are all in dark. Not fun.

I went to the front desk and complained and the first time they gave us 10% and then I went back and complained after the baby pool was still not opened on day three when every day we asked we always got tomorrow as the answer for the pool to be up and runnung and they gave us anothr $100 off.

We went to Johnny Rockets one night, service stunk. They messd up my burger and forgot my brother in laws beer and then tried to charge us for it. Alot of dancing not a whole lot of serving.

They had a arcade which was fun. They ha d a cute store. There is a super walamart down the street .

I feel the kids need to be 6 or above/. The waterpark is small not large at all. I doubt we will go back. Kind of expensive not that big of a deal.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Fabulous88
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Stayed here with my family for one night. Woke up with bed bugs in the room. Like another reviewer stated, they just sent housekeeping and did nothing. Ended leaving, going to emergency room for steroid shots. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!! ESPECIALLY WITH KIDS!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank Pablo G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Sleep Inn & Suites of Lake George
#5 of 11 in Queensbury
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#4 of 11 in Queensbury

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!