“Nice getaway in winter”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Turks and Caicos Islands
“Nice getaway in winter”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We spent 3 nights at this lodge during the Christmas holidays. Needless to say, with the water park being attached to the lodge itself, it was a wonderful break from the cold outdoors. However, having visited another indoor water park along the same lines in Connecticut, we felt that the water was rather cold, leading to many bouts of shivering. The water park itself, as well as most common parts of the lodge were also rather chilly. The lobby especially was frigid with blasts of cold air coming in constantly from the busy front doors. We solved the problem (at least while exiting the water park) by carrying towels from our room. The wet water park towels we deposited at the desk and then wrapped up in the dry ones.

The rides at the park were pretty well thought out.......there was something for everybody, except for the 3 and under age, who had just a little play area to explore. It was pretty difficult to heave the 4 person raft up all the levels, so we ended up doing that ride only once. The surfing one was especially good if you don't count the long waiting time. There were plenty of other options as well. However, instructions and rules were pretty vague and incomplete. Especially age and height restrictions were confusing. All the life guards did not follow these either, leading to a lot of unhappy parents and children. For example, my 8 yr old daughter played in the kiddie area with her 2 yr old brother one entire evening and half the next day before a life guard told her that she was too tall for the play area. Ditto with the Tree House. This time it was the 2 yr old who had to stop playing. Needless to say, we weren't happy at all. A lot of other parents were seen to be complaining too. Also, some of the elderly life guards were cranky at best....seemed to think they were doing us a favor by allowing us on the rides......... not very appealing to anybody enjoying some wholehearted fun. Don't misunderstand me........I'm not against rules, rather I'm very much for them. However, I do appreciate being told what's what up front. The younger lifeguards were much more pleasant.

As for the lodge itself.........it exceeded our expectations. The lobby was decorated beautifully for the season. The evening entertainment was silly. We didn't do the Kids Club. The room was spacious, very well cleaned and beds were super comfy. The only complaint I had was that the water backed up in both the sink and bathtub. Lodge staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The two gift shops were well stocked. North Wood Traders, esp, I felt was very reasonably priced. The first night we had to do take out for dinner since Johnny Rockets closed at 9....odd since it's peak holiday season, and the water park closes at 9 too, so stands to reason that people will want a snack after. Other nights they closed at 11.......go figure. We got a tip that they had discount coupons available at restaurant.com, so got a $25 gift card for $10. Meals ran to about $60 for 2 adults,1 child and 1 2 yr old

All in all, a good trip, just don't stay more than 3 days

1 Thank Rukmini T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was our first visit; we stayed for 2 nights. 2 adults, 2 kids (ages 14 and 11). The bottom line is that we had a good time. I would say that the rates are a bit high given that the rooms are not remarkable and breakfast was not included. It's true that the rate does include admission to the indoor waterpark, but they do tack on a resort fee to the room rate. Anyways, for a short stay like ours, the somewhat-inflated price wasn't such a huge problem.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the indoor water park. 3 main water slides, plus 2 smaller ones. I think older teens would be bored relatively quickly. The lazy river was enjoyable, but at the rates they charge they should make sure there are enough tubes available for everyone. My kids enjoyed boogie boarding. The prices for food within the water park are exorbitant; $9 hot dogs, $40 pizzas, etc. In my opinion, the best bet is to hit the nearby Walmart for groceries and have breakfast and lunch in your room. We had dinner one night at the on-site Johnny Rockets, which I found reasonable (dinner for 4 for about $50, tax and tip included).

On our first night, multiple fire alarms went off late in the evening (around 10:30 or 11 pm). So that was a bit of an inconvenience, but it was beyond the hotel's control, I suppose. The hotel extended checkout time by 90 minutes (to 12:30 pm) to make up for the inconvenience. I would have preferred a bit of a rebate on the room rate, but in the end the extra 90 minutes allowed us to have a less-rushed morning at the water park prior to departure, so that was good.

The room we stayed in was OK. We stayed in a non-renovated room, as it was cheaper than the newly renovated ones. It was reasonably big. The sink is separate from the shower and toilet... not my preferred setup, but I know some folks would disagree. I found the beds comfortable, although my wife did not... sort of a memory-foam mattress. It took us a little while to figure out the optimal setting for the heating system (there was not a temperature-control thermostat; rather there were dials for warm/cool and low/high), and the bathroom lighting was kinda dark. But those last two issues are minor complaints; overall the room was fine.

The service was OK. The housekeeping and waterpark staff were very nice. The only mild annoyance I had was that we could have used some fresh bath towels one evening (this was around 9 pm or so), so I asked at the front desk, but was told that they wouldn't be able to provide any until the next morning (I guess there is no housekeeping staff in the evening??).

Bottom line: it was a nice short getaway, and the kids had a good time. From an adult perspective, I think it's a bit overpriced. If my kids were younger, I could see returning for a similar short stay in the future. But I think they are on the verge of outgrowing this waterpark.

Berlin, Connecticut
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Excellent place to get away with family and friends. Good value and clean rooms nothing bad could be said about this place Hotel personal are very friendly and we have been going there for three years in a row for New Years eve. Not only is the Lodge a great value but there are lots of things to do around the area as far as shopping at outlets dining out and numerous ski mountain that have tubing for the kids at a very reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Bring a cooler with you to have in room they have microwave and firdge
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place is a kid's dream when the water park is connected to the hotel itself.
The freedom of being able to move in and out of the water park during the operation hours are what makes this lodge what it is.

The decors in the lodge makes you feel warm during the winter month with a nice size fire place that keeps all the guests warm at all times.
They seemed to have multiple kid's activities so that parent's can rest up if you force your kids to go to those activities rather than the water park.

Water park was good should I say.
I went about 5 years ago and the water park seemed to have everything operational.
However, the 4 seater raft tubing seemed to create trouble for people as the machine that takes up the raft pretty much to 4th floor was out of order.
So what do we do?
We actually had to carry the raft to the top floor by ourselves.
It was an odd shape raft with pretty good heft to it and merely impossible if it were just kids bringing that up the stairs.

Also they did not have enough tubes in the lazy river taking away the laziness just floating in the river.

The room was big and comfortable.
Make sure to bring some portable humidifier as the heater works really well.
They work so well that it will dry your rooms out in 30min.

Kid's seems to have fun with everything but adults paying premium pricing for holiday stay made it a thumbs down for the service.

Staffs were friendly to say the least.

Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family had a wnderful time staying at the Indoor Water Park. We stayed in the largest suite. The room was large and comfortable but be sure to read the time print at look at pictures. There is only a large dorm size refrigerator that 12 people are expected to share and a small microwave. We ate at the Tall Tales Tavern, the wait staff was great and the prices were average but the food is so so, if you want great food go somewhere else in town, and the hot water is not very hot. But there is a lot of activities offered for all age groups.

1 Thank madisonsmastiffs
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Decided to take the family to the great escape lodge. Were a family of two adults a teenager and an infant baby. The water park was extremely busy and they brag about warm water. The pools were FREEZING and there just wasn't much to do. Having restaurants in the hotel was very nice had an enjoyable dinner at Johnny rockets that night. After getting my 10 month old to sleep we heard loud banging on the door and were immediately evacuated from the building my child was terrible and all I remember we're tired children in the hallways crying how scared they were. After about an hour of that it happened a second time and we were all evacuated again. We got to sleep that night a little after midnight I feel so bad for all those children who had nightmares that night. As a complementary we were aloud to check out an hour later but as a soon as we woke up we got out of there. I'd think for the $245 a night we paid the breakfast would be free but it's $13 dollars a person, a little ridiculous.. Never will be staying at the great escape lodge again.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Randie802

Travelers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

READ ALL OF THIS - Service is amongst the worse I have ever seen. You can stay at the courtyard suites just down the road for much cheaper and much better service and still buy waterpark tickets cheaper.

1) Door too our room wouldn't lock - we called repair man. He claimed to have fixed it. People were able to come into our room without key. we complained to front desk. They sent up a very polite and dismissive manager named Yvonne, who very politely showed me the "defect" on their door locks which effectively disables the lock and allows people in your room without any key.
I asked her how that is supposed to make guests feel to which she politely responded that we should now be aware of this defect and feel safe. How kind and wonderful!

2)There were 3 false fire alarms - we had to get out of bed at 10pm, 10:30pm and 11:15pm and leave our room which didn't lock unattended.

3)We made multiple calls to front desk - they were completely understaffed and unprepared for these vents.

4)Cant get towels at the waterpark- they ration them to 1 or 2 per family because they just don't ever have enough- kids were cold and couldn't dry.

5) the halls are very noisy and loud early in the morning. THe floors are made out of wood you can hear everything.

6) Parking lot is a mess

Room Tip: chose another hotel
3 Thank 96EricA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
#19 of 89 in Lake George
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#3 of 11 in Queensbury

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!