“Great Escape Lodge”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Middletown, New York, Usa
“Great Escape Lodge”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My children age 7 and 3 both had an awesome time at the waterpark. Very clean and plenty of lifeguards on hand. Next to plenty of outside amenities including restaurants and activities. Easy to get to. The Great Escape across the street within walking distance. You do not have to spend money for parking. We had a group of 26 and every age from 3-21 for the children and there was something for everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I booked early and got an awesome rate- $150 a night which included our waterpark passes. Our room was awesome, just a basic 2 queen room. Like others have said, it is a lodge so nothing to fancy but everyone was every helpful and nice! Upon check in our TV wasn't working- they had it fixed in a half hour. Also, I didn't realize that a soda was $3.25 in the lobby so I was going to have to go back to my room, the staff provided me with a complimentary free soda cup for the remainder of our visit. Things are a little overpriced, but it is vacation and it is supposed to be an all inclusive resort. We ended up going out quite a bit but we did have great experiences at the gift shop, arcade and kids klub. Our daughter got to meet Scooby and read a bedtime book, and it was a Wednesday night off season! My largest complaint is sadly the water park. We were let down. It is very nice, clean, warm and warm water. Locker rentals were $16/DAY! After we found that out we started keeping our things with us. It was an impressive place but our daughter is almost 3 and she was bored. She wanted to do slides that she is able to do at our local water park, but here she was not. We weren't even allowed to go down her slides with her without being yelled at. It was not family oriented at all. Also, lifeguards are RUDE, literally pace around and make you feel like you are in there way. Our worst experience was when we asked about a certain ride and the girl at the bottom said yes we could go up but the girl was pregnant so please don't make her life tubes for us. We thought ok, that's fine we are old enough to do it on our own. Got to the top and she made rude comments at us saying "Are you kidding me", meaning we were "too old" to go down. She was lazy, and if you are going to continue to work while pregnant (which I think is great, don't get me wrong), find a place that you can actually WORK! I paid my money, and wanted to at least try a few of the bigger attractions. She needs to go find a desk job apparently because she was not even friendly.

We would go back but only when our daughter is old enough to enjoy herself and not get yelled at.. The hotel end is awesome, the water park is a letdown.

USA
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a lodge, so do not expect luxury. However, the rooms are spacious and clean, and the place is "kids focused". I took my 8 year old boy to spend a night at the lodge and play at the indoor water park. He loved it! The water park is fun, safe and clean. It was not crowed when we visited and they had plenty staff to watch and help.

The restaurants are fine. Again, nothing fancy, just simple foods but sufficient.

The kids Klub has activities and gifts for kids. Here are my suggestions for booking the packages: I purchased 3 packages for us. Though they were fine, I would suggest you not to book them in advance. All the items are still available for purchase if you would like to purchase them, and they don't cost too much more individually. However, individually you have more choices.

Another suggestion is for the breakfast package. I purchased that as well but would not do so next time. All items on the menu were below $10. You don't really save too much and just in case, you may want to have breakfast at other restaurants instead of at Johnny Rockets.

One more suggestion is to bring as little as possible to the water park. Your rooms are right upstairs. If you rent a locker at the water park, you will have to pay.

I found the regular rooms were spacious enough. Did not feel the need for anything more than that. Did not see the kids cabin rooms. Could be fun for the kids if they want to have "private time". My son was so busy with the water park, he barely spent any time in the room.

Overall, a fun and simple place for kids. Safe, clean and priced reasonably.

Closter
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Although it was a three hour drive to the Lake George area, the New Years Holiday trip we took was worth it. It was actually turning 2011 but there was no option to choose. Two years later and the kids still remember. The place was surprisingly not extremely crowded. The water park was clean and fun along with a long fast, high long tube ride, lazy river, and my personal favorite - the Flowrider - which was a challenge as an older mom but had to try. Yes, you will fall off, but that just adds to the fun - no judging here. My kids and I had a blast and the food was good. Try the restaurant or Jimmy Rockets for a burger. I booked with Expedia at the last minute. Do try discount booking agents to try to get better pricing if available. The staff was great and various characters appeared at times. There was also a schedule of activities for kids. I met guests that actually stayed at a nearby hotel and bought passes for the waterpark - another option. I say, stay at the friendly lodge with rooms right there, especially in the winter. Good pIace to go when it's cold and warmer travel destinations aren't do-able or as an extra bonus vacation. I would love to go back sometime. I was alone with my two kids and we all had fun!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Joygarbrooklyn
Williamstown, Massachusetts, Usa
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Large family comfortable rooms with "lodge " theme. Water park great warm indoor fun for adults and children of all ages regardless of the weather. They could use a few more tubes in the lazy river ,as it is very popular.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom with 2 bath well worth a little extra $
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We booked a 3 night stay during Memorial wknd. We arrived Friday afternoon around 2 and were able to check- in. We had a traditional " suite" (2) queens and a pull-out. The room was big, but only 3 drawers for clothes and no closet. The tv system was advertised with a gaming system, but as we found out, they currently had no provider, thus probably the same reason for poor tv reception and lack of HD/ Digital channels.. ( It rained for the first 2 days, so tv was a must with a 3 & 8 yr old. ) For my kids they loved the water park. I can recommend going during later hours as most of day- pass groups leave and not as crowded. My husband found something " questionable" in kiddie pool area and it was quickly cleaned by staff. As my husband and I are seasoned travelers for the money we spent per night we found the whole resort subpar. Coffee bar had limited hours, restaurent choices lacking( you can't eat Johnnie Rockets every night), rooms had no directory book with no local information, the housekeeper pointed us to the yellow pages and the staff gave us a 2x3 slip of paper with hotel directory...If you asked my kids --they thought the trip was awesome, so I guess that is all that matters...

Room Tip: Request top floor, seemed to have less activity and quieter
montreal
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a great weekend at the lodge. The waterpark was great and the kids all enjoyed themselves. Arcade was fun (but kind of expensive for tokens/prizes) Our boys were between the ages of 13 and 10. We had a 3 queen suite which worked fantastic for 2 adults and 4 kids. We brought healthy snacks and drinks for the room - kitchenette was great (all the restaurant food is pizza, hot dogs, pop). All in all a very good fun weekend at the lodge. Very clean, safe and well run.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#17 of 89 in Lake George
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!