“Great value for both enjoying the water slides and feeling in an austrian like lodge”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Pelham, New York, Usa
Reviewed April 1, 2013

To travel just over three hours from NYC and be in such a beautiful place, this is quite something. After all, you are very close to Gore Mountain (if you choose to ski) and you have this great indoor water park that features even an indoor surf facility. This is great time guaranteed for children, and the setting of the hotel will make one feel like/long for Austria (with the big chimney and all the decorum).

The combo we got was a standard 1 night stay and included 1 night at the resort and 2 full days at the water park . We found this to be a great value.

We feel that this is indeed great for spring break when you have young children. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
dayton, new Jersey, USA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

we went during spring break and first of all check-in was terrible. they asked us to wait for more than 1 hour wait as room was not done. so instead of check-in at 4 we allow to check-in at 5.30. on top we booked 3 room with two room side by side so kids can go to these room by private internal door and check-in lady says yes its book that way. so by time we went in, it was not that and when we ask, she said sorry-apologize for almost 15 times. for any single question, sorry-apologize. receptions was not a good professional person. and that waterpark was not even that big.. you can go with less price in Poconno hotel with bigger park. totally waste of money.

Room Tip: no breakfast. no coffee. not worth of spending 300+ $ for night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

So here we go. Usually we go to great wolf lodge for indoor vacations but due to easter weekend, we decided to come here as great wolf was sold out. We had 2 standard rooms- 7 adults and 5 kids for three nights with request for connecting rooms.
On the day we were to check in, I called around 11 am to confirm that our rooms would be ready for check in. We arrived around 4pm. We interacted with the front desk staff, Willow who was amazingly patient, professional and calm. Check in was quick. Our rooms were clean and ready for us promptly which we appreciated very much! Although there were people with irritation or frown waiting for their room availability and assignments.

The room was spacious, clean and modestly decorated. My ONLY complaint is that the housekeeping service is poorly staffed or not held accountable. All three days, I had to call them around 4 pm to find out when they were coming to clean. On Friday, when I called the front desk to send somebody there response was "will send if they are available" which made me annoyed because I had paid premium price of $1700 for three nights not to get uncleaned rooms. Even the lobby and water park area were filthy most of the time. With these many guests, they need to designate a team just for main lobby, hallways and water park, holding them accountable like at great wolf.
In the evening, we went to Johnny rockets where it was poorly staffed, over tired, brought wrong order of beef burger when ordered turkey burger and were told that they couldn't do the correct order because grill was being cleaned. I have to mention that staff went out of their way to take care of us, offering drinks on house. Special shout out to meaghan, Jaymey and the manager (who even took our pics) they were amazing. They knew how to make customer happy and do it right. Johnny Rockets and six flags should use them to train house keeping staff who was standing outside my room, telling her male colleague "the room's a mess". Well if you cleaned it like you should, it wouldn't be.

In the morning we opted to have breakfast at the Coffee shop in lobby, Overall the breakfast was ok for the price. Clearly their prices were much lower than great wolf but so was the services.

Water park was ok. Water cold everywhere except the hot tub for adults only so kids were trying to enjoy while shivering, gift shop GG by water park was very reasonable and we enjoyed shopping. Kids did not want to return after lunch. There were enough kids activities, Easter bunny, kids club which kept them entertained. They had enough hours in arcade with age appropriate machines. Every night, grown ups hung out in main lobby where the night clerk was very friendly and courteous

Tranquility spa was the highlight where we spend two days getting scrubs, massages, mani and pedi. Joann the manager, Regina and Tara were friendly and professional.

Check out was quick and painless. Familiar face Willow was there to greet us. overall, We had a wonderful stay and would absolutely recommend individual activities but the only way I am coming back again is sanitary, hygienic place with dramatic improvement in cleanliness and attitude change in house cleaning staff. I must mention the lady working as bell captain this morning. She was the only one who has greated us in hallways "hi guys, good morning- how is it going?"
This was on day 2- even before we had required her services. The staff could be more friendlier.

Before going, I had read other reviews complaining about various aspects of the hotel so please keep this in mind when you are booking. Again,
Willow, Charlene??, night duty manager, Meagan and Johnny rockets manager should be assigned smaller teams for training. Just saying. We will definately return to great wolf.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Vacationmammy
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family of 2 adults, 3 kids (11,9,6) had a really nice time at the lodge. We came here with another family with 3 kids of similar ages. We arrived on Wednesday and left on Friday during our spring break so it was very crowded there. We would definitely go back again for another quick 2 day stay perhaps when the amusement park is open. I know everyone is always comparing it to Great wolf lodge because they are so similar. We were not too happy with our last trip to Great Wolf Lodge which is why we decided to try here instead. If you are trying to decide between the two… My two cents is that you get much better value for your money here and the beds are so much more comfortable than at Great wolf. The water park is smaller and the water slides are not as thrilling but Great Escape has the flowrider which the kids got a kick out of and as a parent was very entertaining to watch. The water park was crowded from noon-4pm but it was very crowded at Great Wolf as well. Food at the water park was so much better and I feel that the Lake George Area has so many other dining options that you can choose from.
The room was spacious and the beds had memory foam mattresses. We have a tempurpedic mattress at home so we are partial to them. The beds at the hotel were not as good as home but they are so much superior to other hotels of the same caliber that we’ve stayed in recently. I don’t sleep well in hotels but having the comfy bed definitely helped. Everyone is complaining about the cost of the room but if you factor in the price of admission to the water park which is included in the room rate you are paying a very reasonable price and you get the added convenience of not having to put on your winter coat. The room was clean but there were some stains on the carpet which looked like fruit punch stains. The walls are thin and you can definitely hear people next door.
The waterpark could use some updates to the restroom/changing facilities and it could use some additional seating but it was hard to tell because people would leave towels on the chairs to reserve them and in some cases never used the chairs….. The waterpark layout was efficient in that people were spread out and it didn’t feel like they were all in the same area. They need a real pool. The lazy river flows into an area that looks like a pool but it’s small. I think the addition of a wave pool would be nice.
Just like Great Wolf lodge, I can’t imagine anyone coming here for more than 2 days. As an adult who would much rather be on a deserted beach or snorkeling in the ocean with just the sounds of the waves this place is sensory overload. I go because my kids really like it and I enjoy seeing them have such a good time. My level of expectation is based on this premise. I suspect that most people who come here do not stay longer than 2 days and given the amount of turnover in the hotel and the number of kids that are packed into the rooms, they do a very good job of maintaining it.
We ate at Johnny Rocket’s and the food was good however, my husband ate something that didn’t agree with him and he wasn’t feeling well for the duration of our stay. Not sure what it was since no one else in our party got sick. The unlimited refill drink cup was a great value and the kids had fun filling up the cups with different mixes of juice/soda/seltzer. The cups have a chip that recognizes the last time it was filled up – you can fill it up every ½ hour - they thought that was pretty cool.

2 Thank averagemommy
Port Reading, NJ
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Perhaps all my trips to Walt Disney World have spoiled me and raised the bar for a family vacation in my view. Or there's something about Six Flags properties that rubs me wrong. Either way, I found many details lacking that detracted from my enjoyment- especially for the money being charged.

This trip was an overnight mini-vacation with my 13 year old nephew and 11 year old niece. They were off for Easter Break and their parents weren't. So rather than just hang out with them at home, I decided to give them a special experience. And they had a great time!

The lobby of the lodge is beautiful. You're greeted by gorgeous stained glass chandeliers, carved bears, an enormous stone fireplace and rustic furniture. However, one thing seemed out of place: it was still decorated with giant snowflakes despite the fact that this was Easter celebration week with visits from the Easter Bunny & such.

Check in was painless and the clerk quite pleasant and our room was ready. There's no bell services so we were soon schlepping our bags up to the third floor. The room was pleasant, but there was no "wow" factor. We had a standard suite, two queen beds with a sofa bed that was separated from the rest of the room by a privacy wall. This was perfect for two males and a pre-teen girl. The bathroom was average size. The sink area was barren. A few plastic cups, a bar of soap, a hair dryer, and that was it. No soap dish, hand lotion, no amenities. In the bathroom was barely enough body wash, shampoo & conditioner for this family of three, never mind a family of four (or the six the rom can accommodate). Towels were also scarce, especially since the indoor water park is the main attraction here and obviously you'll be showering more than normal.

This trip was about the water park, so we changed into our bathing suits and hurried downstairs. The park had not changed since our last visit, about five years ago. It appeared the only change was the obvious wear and the rust on the i-beams.

There's basically five sections within the water park. Three thrill slides for bigger kids & adults; a lazy river; a kiddie area for infants and toddlers; an intermediate area which contains two decent size water slides, an oversize bucket that fills with water and dumps over that area, and a splash zone where water shoots up and out from various pipes that the kids can control; and a surfing area. I soon realized that for kids this age, the only areas of interest were the two thrill slides and the lazy river. I'm sure other kids in the age bracket would also like the surfing, but these two were not interested.

After a few trips down the thrill slides (there's one multi-rider, really great slide and two single rider slides: one a bit scarier than the other), we took to the lazy river. There were no tubes available, so we decided to walk and float around the "river" until tubes freed up. Here we encountered the phenomenon of the pointing, cheerless lifeguards. The lifeguards walk a path around the river, do not make eye contact, do not smile, and do this bizarre pointing motion that we could not figure out what it meant. Initially we thought it meant keep moving, but when we were moving fast, they still did it, and after awhile, it became irritating. The lack of tubes was also irritating. The whole idea of the lazy river is to float in a tube, but tubes were scarce and i often gave mine up to some tubeless child.

We got hungry and walked over to the snack bar. I accept that you will pay dearly for food in any sort of a theme park or captive audience situation, but these prices were astronomical and I was not going to pay these outrageous prices for chicken nuggets and fast food pizza. Instead we went back to the room to change, take a drive to see if Lake George was still frozen and get some lunch.

While waiting for my niece to dry her hair, my nephew started going through the documents in the welcome packet. We discovered that they really, really, really don't want you cooking in your room expect for in the microwave. Or anywhere on property. No you can't use your portable grill (whether it's propane, charcoal or a George Foreman). Buy our food. Your own food & beverages are prohibited in the water park. Buy our food. For only $8.99, you buy our refillable soda cup! BUY OUR FOOD! Oh, and by the way, we have a kids club. But almost everything to do in the kids club costs extra. And (as my nephew noticed) young children must be accompanied by an adult. Huh, I thought the purpose of a kids club was so the parents could get some alone time? And while they're at the kids club, you can buy them pizza. BUY OUR FOOD! And be sure to visit our arcade and gift shop.

After lunch we went for another session in the water park. When nature called, I discovered just how gross the rest rooms and changing area was. I understand that most everyone entering is tracking in water, but can't you have a custodian mopping or squeegee the water into the drain?And we're paying over $300 a night? I also noticed how poorly the attractions are marked. If you don't know that you need to grab a tube before heading up the steps for the yellow & green slides, you will walk up a heck of a lot of steps to discover that mistake. Conversely, if you stop to read the sign by the multi-rider slide, you'll be looking for the tube it explains how to carry, because they've since added a conveyor system that feeds the tubes to the operator.

The hot tub is a well hidden secret. If I didn't overhear another guest discover it, I never would have known it existed. And it's worth finding! It's nicely themed with great water jets and very therapeutic. It's also adult only.

Other observations: It seems like aside from the desk clerks, no one likes working at the Lodge. I never saw so many unhappy looking employees in one place before. Even fast food workers are more cheerful! The welcome packet contained many rules, but little information on things like wi-fi, housekeeping, etc. as you'd expect. The arcade is all prize based machines. You'll find few straight up video games, pinball machines, etc. Everything is geared to winning tickets and the prizes require many tickets. There is advertising for the restaurants, Coca-Cola, and the spa everywhere you turn. Unlike most hotels in this price range, the heat/ac is not temperature controlled, it's simply high, medium, low. The water park could use some gussying up.

Would I return? The kids had a great time, but the water park grew dull after awhile with only a handful of attractions geared to their age (young kids who are tall enough and brave enough to ride the thrill slides have a plethora of choices). If they wanted to go again, I'd consider it, but I don't think it's worth the money. The Great Escape Lodge should either rise to price class it charges for, or lower the cost to be in line with what you get. And eliminate those predatory food prices!

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor wing that leads to the parking lot. There is a lot of foot traffic from famili...
1 Thank FlyingRhino
Poughkeepsie, New York, Usa
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My family had a wonderful time at the lodge and waterpark besides one issue at Johny Rockets. when my family went saturday night we had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the food and staff, so much that we returned the next night! but on sunday night we were not greeted and finally sat down after 10 mins or so. we sat there waiting for someone to take our order as we watched two other guests get served and tended to. my family was completely ignored and we were 1 or only 3 families that were dining. after waiting a full 25 mins we took our hungry kids and left to our room and ordered pizza to the lodge. i would definitely stay at the lodge again but never agin will i eat at johny rockets or even recommend it to anyone!

1 Thank Darlhya M
Montreal
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Hi,

We were there from march 7th to march 10th 2013 with our 2 young kids (5&3) and 2 friends with their kids (4&6).

We had a wouderfull time in the Water Park. Our kids really enjoy it, even the little one. Eveything there is made for family. There's mascotte on night that dance with kids and a big arcade with games for everyone. We has a lot of fun with the Bowling!

I think it's not a good place for family with children over 13-14. They will get bored after a couple or hours.

There is also a lot of outlet near the hotel that is great for mom and a lot of good restaurant better than the Johnny Rocket. Wall Mart is at 5min by car from the hotel.

See you next year Great Escape!

Enjoy your stay!

JF

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor are the best. Ask them.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
#4 of 11 in Queensbury
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#17 of 88 in Lake George

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!