“nice park, expensive”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Hotel and pool was nice. DO NOT go to the buffet it is expensive and the food is TERRIBLE! Also be careful with giving them your CC they double charged us and we are still trying to get our money back! They charged our CC again 8 days after we left when we had already paid for everything upon checkout. When they did this they put us over our limit and have caused us to be charged numerous fees and nothing but problems. WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR A REFUND! BEWARE!!!

Stayed: February 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed March 10, 2008

We are a family of 4 (kids 6 & 9) and spent a few nights at the Six Flags during the kid's March break, and we had a great time. Easy check in and check out - we had no problem with the staff anywhere in the complex. The waterpark is the main attraction and we found that there was alot to do there and the crowds were not too bad and the water was very comfortable.

The hotel is very nice, but the beds were a bit too soft for our liking, and we are partial to hotels with duvets, which this hotel unfortunately did not have. Having the sofa and that little bit of extra space compared to a regular hotel room was nice.

One thing about the hotel that needs improvement are the dining options. We never ate at the hotel because there did not appear to be a nice family friendly cozy restaurant. This place really needs a type of "Bugs Bunny Diner" or something, where you could go day or night and get a good meal. We ate at the Silo which was nearby and was fantastic, and had a great dinner at the Outback.

The kids also had fun in the arcade (kind of like Chuckee Cheese) and liked seeing the characters walking around.

The shopping nearby was great, the hotel was certainly centrally located and I can see that this place must be absolutely fantastic in the summer as Lake George seems to have alot to offer in the summer.

All in all, this is a fantastic hotel if you have kids and would like to spend a few hours each day of your holiday at a "waterpark". There were plenty of attendants and lots of fresh towels. It's nice that they let you in the park before your room is ready and then again you can stay after you have checked out of your room.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2008

really nice, new and clean indoor water park with nice arcade for the kids. its in a great location in upstate ny with lots of other options for activities. Its a little price though

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed February 23, 2008

We stayed at the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge over President's Day Weekend Feb '08.

Although the hotel was fully booked through the entire week, we didn't experience any crowding or lines that were unbearable. The hotel was large and accommodating even at full capacity for that holiday weekend.

During the day, I tried to occupy our time outside the hotel. So after having breakfast at Sutton's or The Silo, we did activities around the hotel. The Lake George area had plenty to do despite the fact that most of the resorts and attractions are closed until May. I took my eldest son on a snowmobile tour one day while my wife and two younger kids enjoyed the water park. We took advantage of the Lake George Winter Carnival and had an opportunity to walk on frozen Lake George.

Dinner was easy to find. We ate at The Log Jam, Trapper's (at the Great Escape Lodge), and Sweet Basil. All three were excellent, but I especially liked the food and service at Sweet Basil, and the kids loved their vodka sauce pasta and ravioli dishes.

After dinner, we'd use the water park almost until the time when they close the park for the night. The line for the surfing simulator would get really short, and my sons got to use it several times in quick succession. Additionally, there were no lines for the water slides or tube slides. The kids really enjoyed the lazy river and the second floor "tree house" which is where we spent most of our time.

We did the character brunch for my littlest one. She REALLY loves characters. The food was typical hotel breakfast brunch, nothing special... The families that attend are there for the characters so in that respect, it was fine. The sound system for the banquet room the event is held in was kinda quiet, so the experience wasn't as immersive as it could have been... Songs where the characters were talking/singing could barely be heard, but the characters were performing their routine... which made little sense to the kids, but they were still excited to see Bugs, Tweety, and whoever so it was okay.

I look forward to going to the Lodge again one day. The staff was pleasant and the hotel and rooms were large and accommodating. It was very close to many attractions along Route 9, and not too much of a drive from the Lake and the attractions on Canada Street.

Reviewed February 22, 2008

We just got back from 4 day trip.

Good: Bell boys, lifeguards and spa staff were excellent. Deluxe room kitchen was nice... Characters were very accommodating and friendly... lots of hugs and autographs

Bad: Restaurants-bad food, horrible service, everything we ordered was messed up.
We were turned away twice for seating because "a big group just came in and its gonna take a long time to get food"... yet they had empty tables...

Inconsistecy with staff-Front desk overnight desk clerk lied to my husband and said he just sold the last children's tylenol and made my husband go out to walmart at 1am... the next morning the resort store had plenty...

Rooms: decor and mattresses were tired...
Maid service did not come to our room one day and came after 5pm the other. Sheets were rough.

Water park: Water was very cold and full of chemicals... made 2 of my kids get rashes,

4  Thank kndunn
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We were staying on Gore Mountain for the New Years weekend. On our way home we passed Six Flags Indoor Waterpark which is located right on I-87, so we decided to end our vacation on a high note and drop by for a day of fun. We were charged $40 pp including tax. Rate is the same for kids and adults. As you enter the waterpark first thing that comes to mind it's really small and there is not much to do. But it's just a first impression. There are lockers $5 each and free changing rooms and showers for people like us - who do not have a room in their hotel. They give you plenty of warm white towels. There is a stand full of little lifesaver vests for little ones.
Our sons were 3 and 4 height 40" and 42" at that time.

Attractions:

Kiddie pool is really for kids from 0-2 yo. It's a puddle with a few inches of water, 2 little slides, jacuzzi type square where water is bubbling and 2 swings above water.

"Dark slides" - one is a family type and 2 single slides.
Family slide: Kids height requirement: 36" to 44" has to be accompanied by an adult.
We had an employee telling us that our 3 yo cannot ride with us even though he was well above their requested height. They let him in tube after my husband reminded them of their own rules and asked why we had to pay full price for a kid if he is not allowed on MOST of the available attractions. Bottom line we had a lot of fun on a family slide (we did it five or six times I think).

Single tube slides are for older kids and adults only.

Lazy River is cool and a lot of fun. You can ride a single tube, you can take you kid on your lap and ride it this way, or you can forget the tube and just swim or run in the "river". Water pressure is holding and pushing you forward so my sons had a blast in their orange vests.

Second floor water playground is fun with all the slides, water falling on your head from a huge barrel and water squirming "pistols" all over. Again 3yo was not allowed on ANY of the slides. But its ok, he was happy just running around.

We didn't do the "wave surfing" since our kids were too small for that. But it looks like a lot of fun for older kids and adults.

One huge negative - water is too COLD. I asked one of lifeguards about it and he told me it's always 80F, but it felt no much colder. Maybe it was a bad day, or maybe they don't pay attention to air/water warmth ratio but it was really cold and unpleasant to get into water. Ones inside it were ok. Our sons had purple lips whole day. Thank g-d for warm towels and hot showers and fireplace in lobby - they didn't get sick that day!!!

Food: we ate lunch at the hotel restaurant - food was average (hamburgers, pizza, buffalo wings), service was below average, price was really decent.

We had fun, but I feel that 6 hours we spent there was more then enough. Unless I know for sure that water temperature was an accident I would not come back.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank millasha
Reviewed February 18, 2008

After reading some of these reviews I was getting very nervous. But readers, do not believe everything you hear, sometimes you just have to experience it for yourself. That's what makes this site good because you can read all of the good and bad and judge for yourself. My wife and I along with our 3 kids, ages 2, 4 & 9 decided to go for 2 nights. We left on Friday morning and left Sunday.

From Hartford County, Connecticut the drive wasn't bad, about 3 hours. Nice scenic view. When we arrived, I pulled to the main entrance and was greeted right away by a bellman. I was going to say no, but I figured I could spend a few bucks and have him bring us and our eight million bags to our room. Check in was easy and fast. We were early but we still were able to check in and get our room. The staff so far was very nice. The lobby of the hotel looked nice and cozy with the fire going in the fireplace and the chairs/couches and the wooden look. The front desk staff explained to us that we had to wear wristbands the entire stay, which was our proof of payment to enter the water park. On the way up, the bellman was courteous and told us lots of information. Our room was room 400, which at first I was like good god, all the way down at the end and on the top floor, but let me tell you, I later said thank god. It was very quiet. There are the usual kids that the parents let run in the hall, etc. We were far away from everything but across from the stairs. Let me just say that the stairs are a lot faster than the two elevators the hotel has. The elevators are very slow for the size of the hotel. But the stairs are good exercise for everyone. The room was freezing cold when we got in but it quickly warmed up after I turned the heat on. Our room had 2 queen beds and a sofa which was a pullout. The only thing I did not like was the wall separating the sofa/window from the beds. It was very awkward. The water flow in the shower is very low. Overall, I loved the room, big & cozy. The room was very energy efficient, especially with the light bulbs.

After getting situated in our room we changed and went down to the water park. Once you walk in there’s an employee who hands you nice warm white towels. In the daytime, it can get a little humid in there but it wasn’t too bad. My 9 year old went for the wave runner which I later tried and it was fun. It was nice, there’s a little kid area with 2 swings, slides and other fun water things to play with. Water everywhere was comfortable. The water was very clean. I once say a leaf or something in the pool and saw the attendant remove it right away from the water. The lifeguards were very nice. I can't say one bad thing about them, they were very attentive. The lazy river wasn’t too bad. The hot tub was nice, big and warm. It was nice to see a sign that says no one under 18 allowed and the lifeguard who watches the lazy river also watches the hot tub to make sure no little ones get in. There are 3 big water slides, the family one which was fun, it seats four and then there are 2 water slides that only one person can go on at a time. All of those start inside and then go outside of the building and come back inside.

Up above the lazy river I'd say is the area for the middle aged kids along with kids ages 4 & up. You can have a lot of fun up there. There are 2 bigger version slides than the little kid ones along with 3 water slides. My 4 year old loved going on the orange and green water slides. I couldn't believe it. What made it nice also was the fact that I could go down those slides or on everything. It wasn't just for kids. They have music playing which was a good mix.

Simply put, the water park was fantastic. There are 2 gift shops; one in the lobby area and one downstairs which sells flip flops and suits. There’s a food stand in there where you can charge things to your room, so you don’t have to bring money or credit cards. There are locker rooms with lockers and a shower downstairs which helped on our last day after check out when the kids went in the water park and needed to be rinsed off afterwards.

The arcade was fun and the staff was friendly. Definitely bring money for the kids to play some games. The staff let my kids pick an item that was a little more than what they had in tickets. I thought that was very nice.

Every now and then they have the characters walking around but my kids aren't really into that. They had story time and movie nights but we did not take advantage of that because either we were in the water park until late and/or the kids weren't interested. The water park doesn't close down for an hour like some people had mentioned. A lifeguard said they do not do that anymore.

Definitely bring food and drinks. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and a safe. The safe lets you set your own personal code. We brought drinks from home which saved us some money and was nice because you can get thirsty. The restaurant down in the lobby area is okay, but I’d stick to eating out. If you want to escape from the humidity and noise of the water park, good luck, because there are only a few seats inside. The rest are out on a balcony overlooking the water park but you’re actually inside. The food was good and they do have good children items, but after our first night we stuck with Friendly's down the street for breakfast and one night we went to Olive Garden. There are a lot of stores, outlet stores and food places around.

The hotel did a horrible job snow plowing, sanding & salting. The parking lot is set up very weird. People were fighting for spaces and parking in no parking zones. The parking lot is to the left of the hotel and makes you walk forever if you have to park far away.

Would go again but not in the summer time. Winter time is best.

Overall, we would definitely go again and highly recommend. We did not experience any problems.

I love how the hotel went energy efficient with the light bulbs.

4  Thank Todd0237
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Sleep Inn & Suites of Lake George
#5 of 11 in Queensbury
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#4 of 11 in Queensbury

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!